Tommy blasts tame Tigers

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Monday 26 March 7:00PM
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: Fox2
underdog

Re: Tommy blasts tame Tigers

Post by underdog » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 1:23 pm

bigdamo wrote:thanks underdog you just made my point tommys side didnt have the class on paaper thgis side has but they showedHEART had a dig this side has the class but no heart or spine a kick up the backside is what we need with a bit of heart.
Thats NOT what I said bigdamo, and I would never say that about his effort and Heart - he had effort and heart in spades!

I just think his opinion is unwarranted, and unnecessary much like stories about his sexual potency.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 1:31 pm

underdog wrote:
bigdamo wrote:thanks underdog you just made my point tommys side didnt have the class on paaper thgis side has but they showedHEART had a dig this side has the class but no heart or spine a kick up the backside is what we need with a bit of heart.
Thats NOT what I said bigdamo, and I would never say that about his effort and Heart - he had effort and heart in spades!

I just think his opinion is unwarranted, and unnecessary much like stories about his sexual potency.
Ask Gallen, Matt Johns and Farah. They are all on record as saying pretty much the same thing about us

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 1:39 pm

Tommy was the ultimate competitor, don't think there's anyone who's played the game with more desire or a harder edge. But, he's post relevant. Don't believe it's good for the club when people seek him out for that inevitable controversial quote or two. Doesn't do anything to enhance the sort of culture that the clubs trying to maintain/cultivate, not to mention that it diminishes the legacy of Tommy himself.

A lot of people remember that Tom played with a club that had marginally greater success than Norths or Newtown and indeed has won the spoon more times than any other. You could almost forgive him if he was a Saints or Souths player, indeed he could cop a lesson or two from Sattler or Provan

underdog

Post by underdog » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 1:40 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
underdog wrote:

Ask Gallen, Matt Johns and Farah. They are all on record as saying pretty much the same thing about us
much more relevant.

Two play currently in todays game, and 1 only recently stopped playing.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 1:44 pm

I think someone had to come out and say it. I'm not surprised Tommy was the guy. I know he loves the club and he's only said what most people are thinking. Now i haven't seen the game cause i was working but from all reports and the stats from the game, we were as woeful as we were the week before. I was hoping someone would say this too because at the moment i can't see where the improvement is going to come from unless some harsh truths are told.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 2:22 pm

underdog wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:
underdog wrote:

much more relevant.

Two play currently in todays game, and 1 only recently stopped playing.
I don't see why thats relavent. Just because he hasn't played the game recently, he can't be right in what he's saying? As someone said in another thread, play the ball not the man, and regardless of what you think about Tommy you can't deny he's right. And on the topic of relavency, obviously someone at the herald thought his opinion was relevant enough to pick up the phone and give him a call

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 2:30 pm

Good on Tommy for saying the bleeding obvious but I'd be surprised if half the current squad knew who he was.

Just imagine Tommy ripping in, Beau Ryan yelling "Doggies" in one corner, and Tim Moltzen in another corner polishing Benji's shoes.

Snake

Post by Snake » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 2:32 pm

Tommy was a working class hero not much talent but he had the heart of a lion was a true inspiration to many of my generation and to a lesser degree was big dallas most afternoons standing in the door way of the Lidcombe railway hotel with jug in hand no glass for big Dallas those were the days no political correctness then.

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 5:15 pm

as well as the bypass,he also had testicular cancer.He is a tough rooster.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 5:28 pm

I genuinely cringe at most of Tommy's comments these days but he is pretty right about this one.

The only thing I would say is that Ellis, Ryan and Woods don't deserve to be lumped with the rest of them.

Mothermagpie

Post by Mothermagpie » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 6:00 pm

smeghead wrote:
cktiger wrote:
bigdamo wrote:this is what this side needs a rocket a coach with heart spot on tommy
Yeah , he could give the same motivational speeches he gave the Magpies when he coached them to about half a dozen wins in two years. :crazy
To be fair Tommy's sides never lacked heart, just talent
Thats so true, Tommy did more without the Talent than some of today's coaches with heaps of talent.
Tommy did get the Magpies into the semi finals

Lovemytigers

Post by Lovemytigers » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 6:05 pm

Who cares what some old has been thinks!!

Mothermagpie

Post by Mothermagpie » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 6:07 pm

Alf Duguid wrote:Good on Tommy for saying the bleeding obvious but I'd be surprised if half the current squad knew who he was.

Just imagine Tommy ripping in, Beau Ryan yelling "Doggies" in one corner, and Tim Moltzen in another corner polishing Benji's shoes.
Well if they dont know him, they should!!
Why attack him for saying the obvious when everyone else can say it.
If tommy could give half the passion he has to our boys they would be a lot better off!! I dont always agree with Tommy, but the guy deserves some respect

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 8:11 pm

They ask him ....so we all know tommy he wont hold back.... the players these days may not appreciate the way he goes about getting things across.lol

He may not of coached or played in a winning grand final or have a tertiary degree in communication but even me been a ex tiger you cant help but respect the guy for his loyalty,passion,toughness....seriously guys i wouldn't mind some of our players having a dose of it.Yes he went to newtown we know but gee he stayed at wests for 10 years that saying something.

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 8:25 pm

When a journalist wants a quote on a Wests tigers issue,they go for Tommy or Ben Elias.Both these fellows are bankable personalities.

Tommy wouldn't respond in any other manner.

He wouldn't ever sugar coat his response.

Nor does Benny.

That's why the journos call them.

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 9:07 pm

Mothermagpie wrote:
Alf Duguid wrote:Good on Tommy for saying the bleeding obvious but I'd be surprised if half the current squad knew who he was.

Well if they dont know him, they should!!
Why attack him for saying the obvious when everyone else can say it.
If tommy could give half the passion he has to our boys they would be a lot better off!! I dont always agree with Tommy, but the guy deserves some respect
I actually agree with Tommy ripping in. Try reading my post before criticising - I'm having a go at the current generation

Mothermagpie

Post by Mothermagpie » Wed 28 Mar, 2012 9:40 pm

Sorry Alf, I did read your post and it can be read either way (bleeding obvious) part. I thought you were being sarcastic..my opologies . I will eat humble pie. It was someone elses post that got me angry.

Balmain Bobby

Post by Balmain Bobby » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 9:44 am

Old Boys who never grow up.Poor old Tommy, he has never changed and never will, but the game has. I don't know why B grade journalists bother with people who don't understand the modern game, and the rules that apply. Simple fact is our top players are being head hunted and Tommy would understand that. But as a commentator on today's game, he has very little understanding, his training regime was 3 or 4 laps of Lidcome Oval, and down to the Loco for 10 schooners with thirsty and dallas.Every year we start slowly and then it just clicks together. Give the boys some credit, despite injuries and suspension, there have been no cricket scores against us.
Be Yourself, no one else can do it for you.