Tommy blasts tame Tigers

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: Monday 26 March 7:00PM
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: Fox2
Gary Bakerloo

Re: Tommy blasts tame Tigers

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 4:09 pm

Balmain Bobby wrote:Old Boys who never grow up.Poor old Tommy, he has never changed and never will, but the game has. I don't know why B grade journalists bother with people who don't understand the modern game, and the rules that apply. Simple fact is our top players are being head hunted and Tommy would understand that. But as a commentator on today's game, he has very little understanding, his training regime was 3 or 4 laps of Lidcome Oval, and down to the Loco for 10 schooners with thirsty and dallas.Every year we start slowly and then it just clicks together. Give the boys some credit, despite injuries and suspension, there have been no cricket scores against us.
He coached Wests to the semi finals in 1996 so I doubt they would have been using the training regime you have stated. Looks can be deceiving.
Balmain Bobby wrote:Give the boys some credit, despite injuries and suspension, there have been no cricket scores against us.
We have conceded more than 30 points in both our last two matches.

Balmain Bobby

Post by Balmain Bobby » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 4:22 pm

We have also scored points and I repeat, they are not cricket scores against us.
He coached Wests to the semi finals in 1996 so I doubt they would have been using the training regime you have stated
Obvious, we were talking late 70's early 80's. By 1996 you had trainers doing the job for coaches, and it was a little bit different.
Try and read what's written, Dallas died in 1986, I could hardly be describing something 10 years later.
Be Yourself, no one else can do it for you.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 4:31 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
Balmain Bobby wrote:Old Boys who never grow up.Poor old Tommy, he has never changed and never will, but the game has. I don't know why B grade journalists bother with people who don't understand the modern game, and the rules that apply. Simple fact is our top players are being head hunted and Tommy would understand that. But as a commentator on today's game, he has very little understanding, his training regime was 3 or 4 laps of Lidcome Oval, and down to the Loco for 10 schooners with thirsty and dallas.Every year we start slowly and then it just clicks together. Give the boys some credit, despite injuries and suspension, there have been no cricket scores against us.
He coached Wests to the semi finals in 1996 so I doubt they would have been using the training regime you have stated. Looks can be deceiving.
Balmain Bobby wrote:Give the boys some credit, despite injuries and suspension, there have been no cricket scores against us.
Everbody sticking up for Tommy :lol:
Wests won 6 games over the last 2 years he coached them - and he was quite happy to walk away from them as a player to make a few bob playing for Newtown.
Funny how memories can be different from reality.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 4:37 pm

cktiger wrote:
Gary Bakerloo wrote:
Everbody sticking up for Tommy :lol:
Wests won 6 games over the last 2 years he coached them - and he was quite happy to walk away from them as a player to make a few bob playing for Newtown.
Funny how memories can be different from reality.
The Maggies coaching staff in 98-99 could have consisted of Bellamy, Hasler and Bennett and it still wouldn't have made a bit of difference. The cattle was just not there, they were crippled. Surely thats not hard to understand

Balmain Bobby

Post by Balmain Bobby » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 4:48 pm

I have known Tommy for a lifetime. from when he was in the RAAF and livng behind Ashlar Golf Club at Blacktown.

It's from that experience I can say Tommy won't ever change. I love the bloke, but seriously, not the person to be asked to comment on things as he was. If Tommy played in todays game, with the attitude he had in his playing days. the team would be a man short in every game, most of us know that and accept it.

He was as tough as teak, you won't find many with the passion he had for playing, but I reiterate, players from a bygone era, don't understand the ramifications of today's game, and all the psychological aspects that come into play when your a full time player. In the old days, you could get up to some mischief at the pub, sink plenty of schooners, and let off the steam of a few losses. Today, Players are under so much scrutiny, there is nowhere to turn to, or to let off that steam, or your front page news. Add the constant pressure from the press and fans to perform, and it's little wonder some teams take time to hit their straps. Wasn't all that long ago Easts ( Roosters ) went through the season and never won a game, well maybe it was, 1972 or there abouts.
Be Yourself, no one else can do it for you.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 7:27 pm

cktiger wrote:
bigdamo wrote:this is what this side needs a rocket a coach with heart spot on tommy
Yeah , he could give the same motivational speeches he gave the Magpies when he coached them to about half a dozen wins in two years. :crazy
LOL - no idea cktig.
Compare the teams and you'll see how idiotic your post is.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 7:40 pm

I found any comments or advice I got from Tommy at Ipswich short but practical

I remember the first time he said something to me and telling another colts player I wasn't going to ever wash my ears again :lol: Just in total awe

He was never going to be a technical coach but you could never doubt his passion to the cause

He is like Jeff Thomson If you ask him for his opinion he will give it and don't expect it to be sugarcoated You knew where you stood

Lee-Ned66

Post by Lee-Ned66 » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 8:26 pm

The raiders played well but the tigers have to work on their tackling!!!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

Lee-Ned66

Post by Lee-Ned66 » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 8:29 pm

Tigers need to work on their tackling!!! ;(

Lee-Ned66

Post by Lee-Ned66 » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 8:32 pm

C'mon Tigers!!;)

Lee-Ned66

Post by Lee-Ned66 » Fri 30 Mar, 2012 8:39 pm

C'mon we need to win this week!!1F620

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 8:39 am

innsaneink wrote:
cktiger wrote:
bigdamo wrote:this is what this side needs a rocket a coach with heart spot on tommy
Yeah , he could give the same motivational speeches he gave the Magpies when he coached them to about half a dozen wins in two years. :crazy
LOL - no idea cktig.
Compare the teams and you'll see how idiotic your post is.

Six wins in two years, wooden spoons for each of their last two seasons. Probs a few things working against them, but facts are facts

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 4:26 pm

Missed the point, surprise surprise.
Clue, first three words of sentence two.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 4:47 pm

innsaneink wrote:Missed the point, surprise surprise.
They had Ray Cashmere!
The McGuinness brothers , Skandalis , Langmack , Hodgson , Leeds, Georgalis , Luke Goodwin....(sure the rest weren't much chop)
I think you're missing the point Ink , bigdamo said they need a rocket from someone like Tommy.
We were making the observations Tommy's rockets don't always work - and were often fizzers.
Especially those last 2 years.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 4:55 pm

Buddha couldnt tackle a junior crossword let alone an opposing centre , Hodgo & Skando were rookies, Georgy was a toiler...Luke Goodwin LMAO! we had no one bar the harvester and Langers, certainly not an english international or two, a NZ (C) and vice capt, not a International centre, not a former origin and international winger, not a formaer origin and aussie hooker etc etc

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 6:55 pm

innsaneink wrote:Missed the point, surprise surprise.

OOoooooooh, taking some intellectual high ground there inkmeister? Jeez I hope you remembered to bring the oxygen tanks up from base camp?

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 9:15 pm

I remember Tommy in his playing days as well. I saw North beat us 40-0 at North Sydney Oval one day and Tommy was trying just as hard at the end of the game as he was in the beginning. No one played more heart, mind and soul than Tommy did and that's why he finds it hard to accept such a disappointing performance the team put in against Canberra. So I think Balmain Bobby's comments are a bit wide of the mark that he doesn't understand the modern game. Maybe if there was a Tommy or two out there yesterday, we might not have lost that game. Heart, mind and soul players are few and far between these days .... Hind marsh is one that comes to mind.

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 02 Apr, 2012 10:21 pm

Tommy is a legend of a bygone era, and entitled to his opinion. I believe he has little interest in the in and outs in the modern game, he is very much focused on the "just bash em" school of thinking. I think that most of his comments these days are a bit out of touch.
I have a problem with all players who give it to the modern day players forgetting all the bad games, mistakes and poor seasons they had in their day. Tommy is worse than most in that dept