Farah and Benji high shots

ImageImageImage
TIGER

Farah and Benji high shots

Post by TIGER » Tue 01 May, 2012 12:31 pm

I was embarrassed first as a RL fan and as a WT fan of both the penalties given for so called high tackles.
To my eyes if there was contact it was so faint a 5 yr old wouldn't of flinched at it and if i was the ref after viewing it, i would of sent both of them Robbie and Benji to the bin for wasting my time and deliberately playing for a penalty.
If penalties were given for these two tackles then 75% of tackles should be penalised. To most people it might sound like i'm not a WT fan which i of course am, but i'm a RL fan first and foremost and i call it like i see it whether it's a player from my team or not.
I didn't like what i saw on both of these occasions from both of these leaders in our team.

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Tue 01 May, 2012 1:08 pm

on the other hand I thought McGuire's forearm was aimed pretty squarely at Moltzen's head, surprised he wasn't before the judiciary.

similar to Crocker, targeting Moltzen to rough him up I think

BeeJay

Post by BeeJay » Tue 01 May, 2012 1:12 pm

I think benji copped a poke in the eye or at least a knock to an already injured eye socket. From memory he gad a black eye from the nz test.

Farah copped a knock and having previously suffered concussion only 2 weeks ago it wouldnt take much for him to feel the effects again.

Jay

Post by Jay » Tue 01 May, 2012 1:47 pm

I thought it looked bad/lame also.

But I also considered this, the amount of dodgy hits on Benji that don't get penalized. Hell Tigers were even talked about possibly being fined for letting Benji play, on some of the hits that were not penalized.

I think some players actively aim to smash him around, take him off his game mentally, and it's not always picked up by the refs. So I think if Benji gets hit high, he should go down. Can't give other teams this advantage.

If it's in the rules...take advantage of it. Other teams do.

Tiger_Al

Post by Tiger_Al » Tue 01 May, 2012 1:48 pm

Ok your saying the contact was at the minimum scale.

But the thing is these days you just cannot have first contact on the the head, the refs just don't accept that anymore.

Gotoddy

Post by Gotoddy » Tue 01 May, 2012 2:25 pm

You only have to hit someone in the wrong spot in the head and they will go down or get knocked out all together. You have to give them the benefit of the doubt as they are the ones copping it out there. Also, Benji had a lump under his eye after he got hit so I assume it did some damage.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 01 May, 2012 2:59 pm

TIGER wrote:I was embarrassed first as a RL fan and as a WT fan of both the penalties given for so called high tackles.
To my eyes if there was contact it was so faint a 5 yr old wouldn't of flinched at it and if i was the ref after viewing it, i would of sent both of them Robbie and Benji to the bin for wasting my time and deliberately playing for a penalty.
If penalties were given for these two tackles then 75% of tackles should be penalised. To most people it might sound like i'm not a WT fan which i of course am, but i'm a RL fan first and foremost and i call it like i see it whether it's a player from my team or not.
I didn't like what i saw on both of these occasions from both of these leaders in our team.
If you did you'd be refereeing the NYC next week. Marshall got a finger to the eye. Even as Dopey Brad Fitler whinged about him staying down the coverage on 9 showed him getting treatment to the eye. I agree it is a bad look when players stay down for minimal contact but try to pick your examples a little better. Imagine the outcry if he got 10 in the bin because he got poked in the eye.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 01 May, 2012 3:33 pm

So its soft to stay down after having a finger (accidentaly) in you eye? I know if i couldn't see i wouldn't or even couldn't just get up and play on as usual!

Just because a player stays down after a routine tackle doesn't mean he's milking it. Sometimes players get hurt but accidental things and no penalty is warranted. Doesn't mean the player can't get some medical attention to help him out though.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 01 May, 2012 3:44 pm

If you get hit high you get a penalty regardless - so there is no point in staying down if you're not hurt.
Marshall stayed down because he got poked in the eye (preferable to being poked in the other eye by Hopoate)
and Farah because he's copped plenty in the head lately and it bloody hurt.
Neither of these guys has ever been guilty in the past of trying to milk penalties (like Bird) so I reckon we cut them some slack.

mtd

Post by mtd » Tue 01 May, 2012 4:33 pm

TIGER wrote:I was embarrassed first as a RL fan and as a WT fan of both the penalties given for so called high tackles.
after that dragons game where our players copped multiple high shots without penalties, i'm happy to see us stay down whenever a player is even clipped high. i would like to see the players add a bit more drama to the injuries though, you know hollywood style.

i agree with what your saying though and it is a shame it has come to this.... however.... you have to play the game.. being tough and 'sucking it up' isnt going to get us penalties and it isnt going to win us games.

mtd

Post by mtd » Tue 01 May, 2012 4:35 pm

cktiger wrote:If you get hit high you get a penalty regardless - so there is no point in staying down if you're not hurt.
thats not true, the players must stay down until the video ref has enough time to look at it, otherwise it will be play on... the video ref may get back to the ref a touch later and they'll put the player on report, however in that scenario we do not receive the penalty or any advantage for that matter.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 01 May, 2012 4:43 pm

I meant if the ref saw it , mtd.
You'll find the players from the attacking team usually fly off the handle after any high shots and let the ref know anyway.
Personally think you show your toughness by dragging yourself to your feet - if you can.
The players who think they're tough come in third in a tackle ,endlessly try for shoulder charges, and take a dive whenever they get touched.

mtd

Post by mtd » Tue 01 May, 2012 4:54 pm

cktiger wrote:I meant if the ref saw it , mtd.
Personally think you show your toughness by dragging yourself to your feet - if you can.
look i whole heatedly agree with your point, however it did benji no good the other week when he was copped high in the dragons game? unfortunately its in our best interest to keep going down 'injured'.

Demonborger

Post by Demonborger » Tue 01 May, 2012 8:06 pm

don't hit high and you'll be fine.

this area of inconsistency is nothing compared to other areas such as what constitutes a tackle. They need to call held much sooner when a players momentum gets halted. Having defenders pick up and carry a player 10-15metres over the sideline is rubbish, especially when you compare someone lying an extra second on the tackled player getting penalised - one tackle you have the attacker off his feet, carried 10 metres, in a tackle that takes 5-10 seconds, the other a guy is on the attacker for 5 seconds instead of 4...

Time to rub that crap out of the game and encourage teams to use the full width of the field.

TigerCrib

Post by TigerCrib » Fri 04 May, 2012 9:34 pm

Seriously, just listen to some of you! High is high no matter how 'soft' it looks, and a high hit = penalty!
It's a full contact sport and they're out there to 'play the game' not show-pony at how tough they can look!
There is a very fine line between gathering yourself and milking it! Rules are rules and good teams, good players know how to 'use the rules to their advantage', it's part of 'playing the game'. But still, high is high and if a player needs a bit of time to gather their marbles after a legitimate hit, I say go for it because they're entitled to it!
As for idiots like Bird who consistently cross that fine line and hit the deck and roll around like an absolute tool at just the sight of an opposing player, deserves to be treated by the refs like the boy who cried wolf!
Benji & Farrah's hits were warranted penalties and deserved the time to gather themselves! Give the boys a break, it is tough out there!

Posted using RoarFEED 2012

TigerCrib

Post by TigerCrib » Fri 04 May, 2012 10:36 pm

As for being embarrassed as a RL fan, it's not the sport that's embarrassing, it's some spectators that I've been completely embarrassed, shocked and disgusted with!!
Don't get me wrong I love game day supporter banter and love to get into my colours and get into it myself.
But there's a line between enjoyable, funny banter and complete disrespectful, abusive sledging that supporters should not cross! And in the last couple if weeks I have heard some sledging that would even make my grandmother turn in her grave!
Now to hear a grown man from Penrith scream out 'get that black bastard' to an U20's player or an Eels supporter, a woman in her 40's mind you, screaming out to Benji calling him an f-ing C...... is outright disguisting and is just an inkling of what I have heard!
What gets me is the complete disregard for anyone but themselves! How shameful it is to have so many innocent children exposed to such nasty behavior!
Thankfully none of what ive heard has come from a Tigers supporter!

TigerCrib

Post by TigerCrib » Fri 04 May, 2012 11:22 pm

Speaking of high hits, anyone watching the Cowboys v Dragons?
1st send off for the season and 5mins later 2 high hits in 30secs!
Across the competition this season there's been a consistent display of high hits/tackles; soft or not u can't hit high and as to why this is happening so often? I don't know! Is it to rattle a player? Take out a match winner? Players are getting too fast? Players too slow? Lack of discipline? Maybe the coaching? Are they following instructions? Or is it just accidental?
I guess only the infringing player will ever know!!

Blackandwhite

Post by Blackandwhite » Fri 04 May, 2012 11:40 pm

Sometimes players go down when the hit possibly looks like nothing and also the reverse you think the player hit isn't getting up and the player gets up no problem.

It's hard to tell but Robbie and Beni don't normally do that sort of stuff and neither do any of the other Tigers players.
But if it was Ennis and Soward well that's a different story.