Is Blair being used correctly?

ImageImageImage
User avatar
Blackpearl
Member
Member
Posts: 1391
Joined: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: The burbs

Re: Is Blair being used correctly?

Post by Blackpearl » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 8:56 pm

cunno wrote:
Wacko Jacko wrote:Blair was used on edge on Monday night, when BMM came on for Bell Blair moved tight whilst BMM played edge

But serious Tunks has no idea

IMO in present situation we are using Blair Right

But I would like him only playing 60 minutes and provide more impact abit like Mateo from Warriors
Sheens uses BMM to run off Benji where possible, but Blair looks to be a bit faster and versatile than BMM so it would be worth giving Blair more time wider and use BMM up the middle.
thats true cunno, but probably not enough use of bmm imo. or maybe its because hino keeps getting in the way with the very little double shuffle
I dislike sowfs immensely


Tone
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu 01 Mar, 2012 5:12 pm

Post by Tone » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 9:04 pm

Unfortunately as nice as an extra try here and there from running better lines and backing up would be we need every player including Blair to pull there finger out defensively. We have already been destroyed several times this year with our disorganized paper thin defense.


Posted using RoarFEED 2012

alexaki
Member
Member
Posts: 5017
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 4:21 pm

Post by alexaki » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 9:36 pm

I have accepted that the Tigers have made a massive mistake in recruiting Blair...I can assure you there is no way he will get players player 3 years in a row...we paid way overs for him and we are stuck with that fact and Blair for the next 4 years...no amount of whining will change this...the management have to accept their mistake and the team will suffer as he takes up a huge chunk of the $$ cap...if we are lucky enough to shop him around, we can only hope some other struggling club will pick him up...but I doubt it..

hellman
Member
Member
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu 01 Mar, 2012 5:24 pm

Post by hellman » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 10:05 pm

Alexaki - I think you have stated the issue. The problem is that Blair is not a high quality player.

User avatar
alex
Member
Member
Posts: 3624
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 7:58 pm
Location: Haberfield

Post by alex » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 10:19 pm

A lot of people - fans, experts, media - have used the excuse that it takes time for a player to gel with a new team/to a new style of play. I can't recall anyone complaining about Ellis not fitting in or making an impact. The guy made an immense impact from day one, especially coming from the other side of the world where the style of play is 10x more different than it is between the Storm & Tigers. If Blair is the high quality player everyone says he is, why is it taking so long to make an impact? The general feeling is he's not being used wide enough, but he's played plenty of prop before, both for the Storm and for NZ, so unfortunately I can't see why he's not making the impact we all thought he should be.

I truly hope it doesn't take til next year for us to see some return on our investment...


jason1976
Member
Member
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 7:56 pm

Post by jason1976 » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 10:21 pm

alex wrote:A lot of people - fans, experts, media - have used the excuse that it takes time for a player to gel with a new team/to a new style of play. I can't recall anyone complaining about Ellis not fitting in or making an impact. The guy made an immense impact from day one, especially coming from the other side of the world where the style of play is 10x more different than it is between the Storm & Tigers. If Blair is the high quality player everyone says he is, why is it taking so long to make an impact? The general feeling is he's not being used wide enough, but he's played plenty of prop before, both for the Storm and for NZ, so unfortunately I can't see why he's not making the impact we all thought he should be.

I truly hope it doesn't take til next year for us to see some return on our investment...
Spot on Alex... at the end of the day it's a simple game. You run straight and tackle! I don't understand why that is so hard?



Posted using RoarFEED 2012

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41149
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 10:32 pm

jason1976 wrote:
alex wrote:A lot of people - fans, experts, media - have used the excuse that it takes time for a player to gel with a new team/to a new style of play. I can't recall anyone complaining about Ellis not fitting in or making an impact. The guy made an immense impact from day one, especially coming from the other side of the world where the style of play is 10x more different than it is between the Storm & Tigers. If Blair is the high quality player everyone says he is, why is it taking so long to make an impact? The general feeling is he's not being used wide enough, but he's played plenty of prop before, both for the Storm and for NZ, so unfortunately I can't see why he's not making the impact we all thought he should be.

I truly hope it doesn't take til next year for us to see some return on our investment...
Spot on Alex... at the end of the day it's a simple game. You run straight and tackle! I don't understand why that is so hard?



Posted using RoarFEED 2012
Try running straight and hard and tackling in the modern game and see where it gets you

If it was that easy we all be doing it

Most defences are that good you would be flat out averaging two tries a game

User avatar
Irvine
Member
Member
Posts: 1330
Joined: Fri 25 Mar, 2011 10:27 pm

Post by Irvine » Wed 27 Jun, 2012 11:42 pm

alexaki wrote:I have accepted that the Tigers have made a massive mistake in recruiting Blair...I can assure you there is no way he will get players player 3 years in a row...we paid way overs for him and we are stuck with that fact and Blair for the next 4 years...no amount of whining will change this...the management have to accept their mistake and the team will suffer as he takes up a huge chunk of the $$ cap...if we are lucky enough to shop him around, we can only hope some other struggling club will pick him up...but I doubt it..
It looks that way but I still have hope that he will turn it around and do something special. They must have seen something there to sign him on top dollars for 4 years.

Leich-a-tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Mon 04 Jun, 2012 1:28 pm

Post by Leich-a-tiger » Fri 29 Jun, 2012 12:00 pm

happy tiger wrote: He can also play before the line which is extremely important if utilized correctly

Look at Bulldogs they have multi ball players before the line which is proving hard for defences to read

If we then hit Benji with a second man play he should have room to move and the defence in confusion

With Fulton and Heighington's ball skills combined with Blair we could really cause teams defensive headaches
I think this is a really good point/suggestion. Todd Payten played that role brilliantly, and so often created space for Lui and Marshall. Obviously very few forwards have the sort of ball skills that Payten did, but I'd love to see us throw that sort of play in a little more often.

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 2087
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Fri 29 Jun, 2012 2:10 pm

Leich-a-tiger wrote:
happy tiger wrote: He can also play before the line which is extremely important if utilized correctly

Look at Bulldogs they have multi ball players before the line which is proving hard for defences to read

If we then hit Benji with a second man play he should have room to move and the defence in confusion

With Fulton and Heighington's ball skills combined with Blair we could really cause teams defensive headaches
I think this is a really good point/suggestion. Todd Payten played that role brilliantly, and so often created space for Lui and Marshall. Obviously very few forwards have the sort of ball skills that Payten did, but I'd love to see us throw that sort of play in a little more often.
I agree, I would like to see less of 'one up' plays, especially with Heighington, he is easily dominated and never passes just before the line, as the result he is relatively easy to contain.

Post Reply