Moltzen

ImageImageImage
Irvine

Re: Moltzen

Post by Irvine » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 4:42 pm

Why Potter favors Moltzen over Tedesco I just don't know...but he does and will stick with him unless his injured.
Might be the Mullaney story all over again...."Keep going your getting close"

Everyone can see Tedesco is the superior player including other clubs.
Last edited by Irvine on Sat 23 Mar, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 4:44 pm

Got my first look at Tedesco for the season today and wow, his attacking ability even now is better than the majority of nrl fullbacks. Wasn't really tested defensively other than the odd kick he had to get under though. The question about Moltzen I think is less about Moltzen and more about Teddy. Timmy can play as well as wants but Teddy looks a cut above his level in every aspect other than first grade experience.

It will be tough on Moltzen when it does happen but Teddy looks a generation player for us. Interesting to also note that the ACL injury does not appear to have hampered him one bit. His acceleration looks good, his movement and footwork sharp and his ability to twist and turn is very effective. Suspect it's a matter of time before he's in the top grade. And as I said, Moltzen may have little say in it.

Banged up

Post by Banged up » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 5:16 pm

Moltzen will always be in first grade at the Weststigers as long as Benji is there.....!!!

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 6:34 pm

^ Not necessarily. I think Potter will give Teddy a go, even if it's to start on the wing. Moltzen won't be number 1 for much longer, I think we will see 1. Teddy very soon
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

Shooshmeister

Post by Shooshmeister » Sat 23 Mar, 2013 6:51 pm

Must give credit where credit is due. Very solid performance against Parra. Need to work on him returning the ball and folowing through for offloads. Also attitude. If he can fix these, then he can hold his spot.

TIGERS

Post by TIGERS » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 12:03 am

Moltzen is a cat.

I can't stand that "Who the hell is going to hit this up for me" look on his face everytime he takes a kick. We need more from a number one.

He also needs to chime into backline play a bit more. He's not doing anything that Mitch Brown or Beau Ryan couldn't do.
Teams do not go physically flat, they go mentally stale...

palms

Post by palms » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 12:09 am

Shooshmeister wrote:Must give credit where credit is due. Very solid performance against Parra. Need to work on him returning the ball and folowing through for offloads. Also attitude. If he can fix these, then he can hold his spot.
How long does the bloke need though? It's getting to the point where you stop saying he "needs" to do this and that to fix his game and say well maybe he just can't do the things we expect of him at fullback? He has had a lot of time and a lot of chances to prove himself...

Banged up

Post by Banged up » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 4:32 pm

The guy has never been dropped from first grade and never will be while Marshall is there .I'm convinced..We could purchase Billy Slater and i swear Moltzen would keep his spot... ps..Marshall runs the show folks...

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 5:52 pm

This idea that Benji's runs the show is rubbish.

In saying that Tedesco is a far superior player to Moltzen and I don't think it will be long before he is playing first grade.

Moltzen is borderline first grade material, it's that simple.

Banged up

Post by Banged up » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 5:56 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:This idea that Benji's runs the show is rubbish.

In saying that Tedesco is a far superior player to Moltzen and I don't think it will be long before he is playing first grade.

Only rubbish to those who are not in the know...

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 6:25 pm

ahhhhh, the latest in a long line of people wo are 'in the know....'
although with that name are you one of our injured players...
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Sun 24 Mar, 2013 6:58 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:This idea that Benji's runs the show is rubbish.
This idea is probably the funniest thing I've heard though in ages. Its right up there with the illumanti are running the world.
hybrid_tiger wrote:In saying that Tedesco is a far superior player to Moltzen and I don't think it will be long before he is playing first grade.

I think Tedesco is better than Moltzen and should be given the first grade spot. I'm not sure about the rest of it - Moltzen has improved a lot with his positional play and his defence. His attack can also be really good - he knows how to score a try. The problem is that his kick returns are rubbish. I'm sure at some point he will come up with a good bust or two but to me it isn't enough.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 8:07 am

It is hard to drop a player when you are winning games.

Keeping combinations is important as well.

I wanted Tedesco at the start of the year and while Moltzen has been solid he wouldn't be my preference.

That said the coach needs to do what he feels is best.

mtd

Post by mtd » Mon 25 Mar, 2013 10:39 pm

good on ya timmy
showing even though u arent a natural fullback can still do well.
champion.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 9:51 am

smeghead wrote:It is hard to drop a player when you are winning games.

Keeping combinations is important as well.

I wanted Tedesco at the start of the year and while Moltzen has been solid he wouldn't be my preference.

That said the coach needs to do what he feels is best.
Perhaps it has something to do with experience. If we opened the season with Tedesco and Koro, that is about 6 combined FG games between them.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 10:00 am

It would be interesting if say Tedesco gets a call up to fullback, and Moltzen goes to the wing. Would Tedesco be so quick to hand off all the dirty return work to his winger Moltzen? I doubt it. But I wouldn't mind Moltzen having to man up and do some of this tough stuff he so easily palms off to his wide men.

Anyway, the important aspect in all this for mine is that Tedesco is managed properly.

By that I mean he clearly understands he is firmly in the long-term plan. There is absolutely no harm in him playing some State Cup at this stage of his career - in fact I believe it will only be good for him. Moltzen, should and will ultimately be replaced but as has been said while the team is winning maybe easier said than done.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 10:06 am

I imagine if Tedesco wasn't at the Tigers and Moltzen was our only choice fullback, then a lot more people would be happy about the improvement he has made. That being said, Teddy is here and the majority would love to see him play FG fullback, but Smeg said it best, it's hard to drop players when we're winning and we have a combination building. It's up to Potsy - he's the one who knows when Teddy will be ready.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Tue 26 Mar, 2013 11:23 am

barra wrote:It would be interesting if say Tedesco gets a call up to fullback, and Moltzen goes to the wing. Would Tedesco be so quick to hand off all the dirty return work to his winger Moltzen? I doubt it. But I wouldn't mind Moltzen having to man up and do some of this tough stuff he so easily palms off to his wide men.
Watching Tedesco in NSW cup its the complete opposite I believe Tedesco has to pass the ball more.
He does too much of the dirty work, he would be best served passing the ball every now and then.

He needs to be skipping across field looking to offload to an unsuspecting wingers on every occasion.