Marshall

ImageImageImage
seijai

Re: Marshall

Post by seijai » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 12:53 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
smoking gun wrote:Again Marshall bashing Jesus, yes drop the best rated half statistically last year and the one ranked #2 on kpi stats this year. Some of you are brain dead. You would probably drop thurston to after his last 2 games
Coming from the person who wants to punt Galloway when we are missing about four props, that's a bit of a laugh.

Marshall was rubbish last night. Seems he is a protected species by some.

IMO he hasn't played an outstanding game against quality opposition for a good year and a half. And his kicking game is consistently dreadful.

Yet despite this he still has to play on both sides of the field and do most of the general play kicking. Why?

Just my opinion, you're entitled to disagree without insults.
Fully agree.

Marshall has been woeful for 2 years now. I don't understand why he continues to be the one kicking the ball when he clearly can't kick. His grubbers suck, his bombs go backwards, kicks out on a full in general play, and what about his penalty kicks to touch? Barring his long range effort which didn't find touch, he usually kicks it 10m!! 10 whole freaking metres even when we are in our own 20

Any other team will get 30m gain on a penalty kick.

Crab walks horizontally and then waves his hand to a player to run back on the inside and dishes to him for suicide run. What's his average run metres the past year and a half? 40m?

If McGuire was the coach, Benji would be playing reggies since last year

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 5:53 am

All this negative criticism of almost every player in Wests Tigers FG is not helping the club at all. Let's not create a civil war within the club. Take the bad times with good. You will enjoy your football much better. Teamwork within the club (players and fans) is essential. Times will get much better very soon for this club if everybody is aiming in the right, postivie, direction.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 8:43 am

kh_canada wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:When is the last time Marshall played an outstanding game against quality opposition, not garbage like Parramatta and Penrith?
For once, can we just forget about the team we played. If we have a great game against "garbage teams" we automatically downgrade the performance. Have you even thought about why Benji was on last week and off tonight? The whole team as a collective were disheartened after being unable to score points. If we aren't firing it's hard for one man to be on his game, we can't expect him to carry the team and play a blinder week in and week out. Do you ever see a quality player, play a good game if the rest of the team isn't? Very rarely. And Benji wasn't atrocious, he was just unevident. He made tackles like everyone else, he passed and kicked. He made few errors and few missed tackles. If anything thats a good game for anyone. At least he attempted a chip kick to spark the team, unfortunately he came out 2nd best.
No we can't forget about the team we played. The best players step up in the big games, against the big teams.

I'm not expecting miracles, just a competent performance. If you are happy what he dished up the other night then you and I have different standards expected from someone who is supposed to be our second best player.

Our forward pack has been belted most weeks for the past few years but still its usually Farah carries our team on his back. So yes, a quality player can still play a good game even if the team is not

As for the chip kick, yes I saw it. Did you see what he did when it didn't come off? He stopped, stood there and watched a Manly player gather the ball and run about 25 metres, not even attempting to chase him.

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 9:17 am

As for the chip kick, yes I saw it. Did you see what he did when it didn't come off? He stopped, stood there and watched a Manly player gather the ball and run about 25 metres, not even attempting to chase him.[/quote]
I remember at the time thinking Josh Reynolds would have turned and chased on that. Benji to me just lacks any hunger these days. I know it's a long time ago but if you go back to 2005 the kid was everywhere chasing everything. Enthusiasm and hunger. Two very important ingredients.

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 9:50 am

Newtown you speak the truth, get set for some of these people to attack you.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 1:17 pm

I too thought he seemed to give up on that play.
Even if it seems impossible, in pro sport you shouldnt be doing that...no diff to Parra turning their backs last week

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 1:32 pm

seijai wrote:
Fully agree.

Marshall has been woeful for 2 years now.
I don't understand why he continues to be the one kicking the ball when he clearly can't kick. His grubbers suck, his bombs go backwards, kicks out on a full in general play, and what about his penalty kicks to touch? Barring his long range effort which didn't find touch, he usually kicks it 10m!! 10 whole freaking metres even when we are in our own 20

Crab walks horizontally and then waves his hand to a player to run back on the inside and dishes to him for suicide run. What's his average run metres the past year and a half? 40m?

He's been rubbish for 2 years? Since round 4 2011? It must have been very poor quality comp in 2011 seeing as he finished second to Slater in the Dally M.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 1:34 pm

innsaneink wrote:I too thought he seemed to give up on that play.
Even if it seems impossible, in pro sport you shouldnt be doing that...no diff to Parra turning their backs last week
Can you imagine say Fittler ,Daley ,Langer ,Lockyer or Johns only going for the ball with one hand .

No they hit it at 100% and try and bump the fullback off ,not our Benji

I understand that his every 2nd thought it counterbalanced by the thought of "shoulder" but thats the problem isn't it

He rarely puts it all on the line when we need him too

seijai

Post by seijai » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 2:31 pm

gallagher wrote:
seijai wrote:
Fully agree.

I don't understand why he continues to be the one kicking the ball when he clearly can't kick. His grubbers suck, his bombs go backwards, kicks out on a full in general play, and what about his penalty kicks to touch? Barring his long range effort which didn't find touch, he usually kicks it 10m!! 10 whole freaking metres even when we are in our own 20

He's been rubbish for 2 years? Since round 4 2011? It must have been very poor quality comp in 2011 seeing as he finished second to Slater in the Dally M.
Has the Dally M ever gone to a defensive player? Didn't think so.

All it does is look at his offensive stats and plays, and gives him points.

How many missed tackles did he have in 2011? His offence maybe good (then), but defensively? No way. If they took that into consideration, he would be no where

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 3:45 pm

seijai wrote:
gallagher wrote:
seijai wrote:
Fully agree.

How many missed tackles did he have in 2011? His offence maybe good (then), but defensively? No way. If they took that into consideration, he would be no where
Neither would Thurston. That is without doubt the most ridiculous post I've ever read. I cant believe I'm replying to it.
Lets sack him then and sign Dallas Johnston to play 5/8.

seijai

Post by seijai » Sat 30 Mar, 2013 6:17 pm

gallagher wrote:
seijai wrote:
gallagher wrote:
seijai wrote:
Fully agree.

Neither would Thurston. That is without doubt the most ridiculous post I've ever read. I cant believe I'm replying to it.
Lets sack him then and sign Dallas Johnston to play 5/8.
More ridiculous than saying sack him and signing Dallas Johnston? You for real?

If Benji is playing badly and not in form, there is nothing wrong with dropping him to reggies. Why would you need to go to extremes in your argument? Get over your manlove for Benji

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 6:41 pm

seijai wrote:
More ridiculous than saying sack him and signing Dallas Johnston? You for real?

If Benji is playing badly and not in form, there is nothing wrong with dropping him to reggies. Why would you need to go to extremes in your argument? Get over your manlove for Benji
Call it manlove if you want. Personally I thought Benji was really good in 2011 when he came second in the Dally M rankings. You thought he was woeful.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Mon 01 Apr, 2013 7:06 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:
kh_canada wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:When is the last time Marshall played an outstanding game against quality opposition, not garbage like Parramatta and Penrith?
For once, can we just forget about the team we played. If we have a great game against "garbage teams" we automatically downgrade the performance. Have you even thought about why Benji was on last week and off tonight? The whole team as a collective were disheartened after being unable to score points. If we aren't firing it's hard for one man to be on his game, we can't expect him to carry the team and play a blinder week in and week out. Do you ever see a quality player, play a good game if the rest of the team isn't? Very rarely. And Benji wasn't atrocious, he was just unevident. He made tackles like everyone else, he passed and kicked. He made few errors and few missed tackles. If anything thats a good game for anyone. At least he attempted a chip kick to spark the team, unfortunately he came out 2nd best.
No we can't forget about the team we played. The best players step up in the big games, against the big teams.

I'm not expecting miracles, just a competent performance. If you are happy what he dished up the other night then you and I have different standards expected from someone who is supposed to be our second best player.

Our forward pack has been belted most weeks for the past few years but still its usually Farah carries our team on his back. So yes, a quality player can still play a good game even if the team is not

As for the chip kick, yes I saw it. Did you see what he did when it didn't come off? He stopped, stood there and watched a Manly player gather the ball and run about 25 metres, not even attempting to chase him.
I wasn't happy at all with the performance on Thursday, but not just from Benji. The whole team was off except for a few forwards putting in all in.

And I agree about the chipkick, it was poor form for Benji to give up and expect the forwards (once again) to clean up for his error. I know in any instance if I make a mistake I do anything in my power to rectify it.

But the original point I was trying to make was that just because Marshall & the rest of the team has a good game against a lesser team doesn't mean it should be nothing/meaningless. I think there's positives to take from every game, woeful or not. It just seems that everyone doesn't care how well a player does unless it's against a top side.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire