Another Week Another Dirty Tactic by the Storm

ImageImageImage
The Tooth

Another Week Another Dirty Tactic by the Storm

Post by The Tooth » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 12:51 pm

Last week we seen the jumper grab in the scrum on Thiaday.

This week impeding the defence after a kick off. Somewhere in the last 10 or so minutes, we kick off to the Storm and then what looked like a well drilled play the storm forwards turn and run backwards towards their team mate who is running back the kick return and get in between his running line and the tigers defensive line. We had three or four defenders there and Farah was lucky to get the ankle grab on the kick returner.
OUr defenders through their arms up to indicate to the refs the obstruction and Farah was blowing up about it for the next few tackles. Nothing said by the refs.

Not sure how long they have been doing this but it just looked plain intentional and for me suggests that Bellamy and this Melbourne team constantly try to push the rules of fair play to gain any advantage they can.

As much as I want to applaud their success and the great players they have, they disgust me with what I consider dirty tactics. Sort of like bragging about getting 100% in a maths exam when you already had 25% of the answers written on the back of your hand.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 1:42 pm

And yet Craig Bellamy has the hide to come out and complain about other teams' tactics... Not sure the kickoff thing was planned but it looked pretty clearcut that there was obstruction. Let's face it, the referees were pretty poor all night and the final penalty count shows that they were more interested in one side than the other. I recall at one point when Ryan Hoffman got pinged for offside that according to the ref it was the second time that set of six he'd been offside. Well if that's the case why wasn't it a penalty first time? They certainly didn't hesitate to ping us for ruck infringements.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 8:38 am

Interesting move

Slater takes the ball from the kick off roughly on the 20m line parallel to the sideline and gives it to norrie who runs this corridor.....Hoffman is about 10m further up but more in field (he veers towards the sideline in line with norries line.....Hinchcliffe is approx another 10/15 up field from Hoffman...closer to the sideline...he veers infield to Norries line
Farah pushes Hinchcliffe which doesnt help matters....but both Melb players have their backs to us, they know where the defense is heading cause Norrie is running that line.

RatedRKO

Post by RatedRKO » Wed 10 Apr, 2013 10:18 am

Yossarian wrote: I recall at one point when Ryan Hoffman got pinged for offside that according to the ref it was the second time that set of six he'd been offside.
I remember that, because I remember yelling at the TV :lol: If he's offside the first time pull him up you morons.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 1:35 pm

refs are too scared to blow a penalty against the storm..

potter is right.. there are influences. there is obvious bias. someone is somehow influencing the refs in not blowing penalties against these kind of moves.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 1:50 pm

bulldogs are doing these sorts of things as well.. whoever is playing the ball, pushes the markers just a tad so that michael ennis takes can take a couple of steps forward, gather time to decide which person to hit on the chest.

i remember last year a josh reynolds try when krisnan inu pushed beau ryan out of the way for dummy half josh reynolds to go straight through.

i know most teams do this, but bulldogs do it almost every play, no matter who it is. and their degree of pushing is much higher than what anyone does.

i just find it sooo annoying, watching teams score tries/ line breaks week in week out. the attacking team has gotten so much liberty these days, when it comes to decisions outside the attacking 20 metres. when it comes to inside the 20 metres, the rules are different alltogether. very very frustrating.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

T-D-C

Post by T-D-C » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 3:32 pm

IMO Markers should not be able to push the guy playing the ball and visa versa.

The amount of times I see the guys playing the ball grab or push a marker to ensure he can't get to the person receiving the ball is crazy.

kh_canada

Post by kh_canada » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 3:58 pm

Does anyone remember when we tried the scrum tactic back in 09 or 10 I can't remember? The scrum lock picks up the ball and the other 5 players push the other team's scrum to the side so the lock can run straight through them. Looked to be the sweetest try ever, but when the other team complained it got called back.

It seems like we would benefit from the opposition team scoring from dirty tactics so at least we can call it back to the video ref.
The Huth... the Huth... the Huth is on fire

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 4:17 pm

Well I say if you can't beat em , join em If all the sides start copying the Storm they will ban it

Easy fix Maybe we can come up with some different ideas either slowing down the oppositions defence or speeding up our attack

It would be worth hiring someone just for that aspect alone

Demonborger

Post by Demonborger » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 6:42 pm

Teams do similar things in attack, they stand offside as close to the defensive side and screen the ball players + interrupt defenses from sliding, reminds me a bit of northern hemisphere rugby teams at the breakdown. But they do it in such a way as to avoid been penalised for obstruction.

Blotto

Post by Blotto » Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:41 pm

As Mick Potter said pre match you have to play for 80 mins, Tigers managed 60, the Game plan to start at a high tempo in attack and then slow the ptb in defence worked up to a point! You saw the difference between a side who have been at the top for a while now, who have a pretty good game plan and mainly stick to it, they also have patience and also the confidence to know they have the players to break the line. the Tigers are still learning to do those things despite having players that can match Storm but they need to do it for 80 they also need to learn patience but that takes time and confidence and that doesn't happen overnight, the fans like the team are going through a stiff learning curve which will be painful to watch at times but progress will be made over the season! Micks whinge about other influences was a deflection from the fact his tactics and the Teams application of them were found out by Storm! It could be worse you could be a Doggies Fan tonight and be wondering if you will reach the 8.

Demonborger

Post by Demonborger » Sat 13 Apr, 2013 12:43 am

Ah nah, Potter was right. In the last 20 mins players are fatiguing badly, and if the refs blow 7 odd penalties for one team in that period and don't blow any for the other team (even if the offense done is the same for both) that creates so much momentum and pretty much decides the result.

Madmag8

Post by Madmag8 » Sat 13 Apr, 2013 5:06 pm

Dont want to sound a smarty , that defensive play is straight from American football . Gibson was all over that years back . Bellamy complains to cover their questionable tactics and refs close their eyes . :brick:

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 14 Apr, 2013 11:02 am

Went out to last nights game

The rubbish they go on with continuously is terrible, a scum club that resort to anything to win, rorting salary caps, introducing wrestling....banking on breaking rules like offside, markers not square, hand on the ball etc contiuously yet knowing they'll only be pinged a few time......its blatant when youre viewing live.
Its sad because it detracts from the very obvious and brilliant skills their best players possess

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 17 Apr, 2013 6:03 pm

Protected species. It is in the NRL's best interests to have a successful team in Melbourne, home of the AFL, at whatever cost, hence they get away with every dodgy tactic in the book.