Buchanan

ImageImageImage
citizen cub

Buchanan

Post by citizen cub » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 9:57 pm

I can't rate him TBH.

I know it's his first season in FG and he's been burdened with big responsibility since Galloway got injured at the beginning of the season, but he hasn't really shown any signs that he can make an impact in the NRL arena. He does not hit the line with force, his defensive positioning is poor and he seems to keep coming up with poor errors when we least need them.

IMO we should be looking to invest more resources in big Polynesian forwards with real potential, guys like Ava and Soni Passi come to mind.

Only my opinion, would be interested to here your's.

Cub
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

tigertye

Post by tigertye » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:08 pm

Buchanan has been a standout in my opinion. For such a young prop he hasn't taken a backward step, and is now beginning to consistently crack 100m a game, even off the bench! He's an old school up the guts prop, doesn't pass, just runs until he hits somebody.

He's also done very well to cover our side through the injury period. Not too many young props would have handled it how he has. He's not a freakish player but he does his job.

Our problem is we don't have any props/back rowers that strike fear into the opposition. I think Gavet and Tapau may deliver this next year. Paasi is on the way up.

I've been saying we need a backrower who just wants to go out there and rip teams apart. Murdoch-Masila has the size to do it, but he just hasn't caught on. Papalli, Taylor, Teo, Sims, Warea-Hagreaves. A pure meathead who wants to run over bodies and will get over 100m a game.

Keep an eye on Funaki in the 20's I think he could be a special. Lovett also has a big future.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

LaT

Post by LaT » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:44 pm

I think he has done tremendously for his first year, thrown into the deep end as basically a kid and forced to start in the run on for his first game in R1. Extremely happy we have him signed up.

Explosive impact forwards who put fear into the opposition are good, but no team gets real long term success without solid consistent hard working types like young Jack. Now he might be a ways off being that for us, but every sign so far has been good.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:48 pm

Yep, agree with every word you said tigertye. Lock him up for the next 2 years with a 2016 option. All on solid money.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

LaT

Post by LaT » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:51 pm

Fairly sure we signed him from Dragons on a 3 year deal phyr3.
TigPies till I die!

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:53 pm

He's 21 isn't he?
Doing pretty well all things considered.
Definitely worth hanging in to.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 10:57 pm

Buchanan has looked on the verge of cracking many times but keeps pushing through. He's very solid.

phil1986

Post by phil1986 » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:01 pm

Everyone needs to realise, what he stayed before the season started,

He stated that he is looking forward to cement his place in first division side, while developing his game and maturing physically, he did not expect to play all season, he and wests tigers obviously realized his weakness' before the season started.

He has exceeded all expectations for a kid who wasn't expected to play first grade this year, give him time like most front rowers need to be physically and mentally ready!

He will be better from the experience.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:03 pm

Gotta agree, he has had a lot of pressure put on him and he hasn't let anybody down. He needs to beef up so he can break the line but he has certainly outperformed expectations.

LaT

Post by LaT » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:18 pm

Sabre wrote:He's 21 isn't he?
Doing pretty well all things considered.
Definitely worth hanging in to.
He is, only finished playing NYC last year. Pretty impressive.
TigPies till I die!

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:38 pm

citizen cub wrote:I can't rate him TBH.

I know it's his first season in FG and he's been burdened with big responsibility since Galloway got injured at the beginning of the season, but he hasn't really shown any signs that he can make an impact in the NRL arena. He does not hit the line with force, his defensive positioning is poor and he seems to keep coming up with poor errors when we least need them.

IMO we should be looking to invest more resources in big Polynesian forwards with real potential, guys like Ava and Soni Passi come to mind.

Cub
My opinion is almost the opposite to yours.

Young Jack has been one of the more consistent players in the team and he's a 21 year old playing in the toughest position in the game.
He has a very good work-rate, plays good minutes and doesn't get found out defensively. He turns up, does his job and makes the hard runs every week.

I'm not sure why we should just be investing in Polynesian forwards? Ava has done his job just as well as young Jack. Both are early in their careers and it looks like we'll being plenty more of them. I haven't seen much of Passi so I can't comment on him.

In my opinion all things considering, Jack is my Wests Tigers rookie of the year.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:48 pm

Peaches wrote:
citizen cub wrote:I can't rate him TBH.

Cub
My opinion is almost the opposite to yours.

Young Jack has been one of the more consistent players in the team and he's a 21 year old playing in the toughest position in the game.
He has a very good work-rate, plays good minutes and doesn't get found out defensively. He turns up, does his job and makes the hard runs every week.

I'm not sure why we should just be investing in Polynesian forwards? Ava has done his job just as well as young Jack. Both are early in their careers and it looks like we'll being plenty more of them. I haven't seen much of Passi so I can't comment on him.

In my opinion all things considering, Jack is my Wests Tigers rookie of the year.

X 2 Peaches he has been brilliant this season playing the hardest position

All he needs to work on are his motor and his leg drive and we wil see massive improvement in his game for 2014 Keep up the good work Jack

Irvine

Post by Irvine » Sun 21 Jul, 2013 11:53 pm

It's been a hard year for him as it has been for most of the young guys. I haven't seen anything special but a year under his belt in the top grade and he may mature into a good forward.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 12:51 pm

citizen cub wrote: Only my opinion, would be interested to here your's.

Cub
I'm not normally one to do this, but that spelling made me cringe.

Interested to hear yours.

alex

Post by alex » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 1:02 pm

Can see him becoming a Trent Merrin style lock in the future. Was solid up front at the beginning of the year with Woodsy, and now has a good rotation going with Sue and also through the front row. Whilst not the biggest guy on the park, he's always there to take the grubby hit ups. His stats are always around the 10-15 hitups for 100m and 25-30 tackles. Can't ask for much more when some of our senior forwards make more missed tackles than metres gained.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 1:04 pm

jirskyr wrote:
citizen cub wrote: Only my opinion, would be interested to here your's.

Cub
I'm not normally one to do this, but that spelling made me cringe.

Interested to hear yours.
Have fun ...there's plenty more where that came from.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 1:12 pm

2 years until we start to see exactly how much he has to give.

Excellent considering the circumstances

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 22 Jul, 2013 1:28 pm

For a young prop thrown the responsibility of first grade it is a little like trying to prepare a two year old racehorse to win the Melbourne Cup. It just doesn't happen.