ImageImageImage
Stripes96
Location: Where the folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most

Judgement time for Mr Potter..

Post by Stripes96 » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 9:54 pm

wtigers wrote:
Stripes96 wrote:
"wtigers" wrote:
"Stripes96" wrote: Yes, you're right. He gave us '05, and '10-'11, and I'll be grateful for those forever, but he coached us from '03 to '12, and if my maths is any good, that's seven years without making the finals. Not a good record. Worse than that, it seemed like the team didn't care in 2012. Three from ten is not great, no matter which way you look at it.

Hope I answered your question mate.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
Yeah thanks you have. Just keep wondering what he would've done with this season. I mean our players seemed more interested last season even and were defending better. I just can't understand the hatred of him and the love/willingness to stand up for Potter on this site. Sheens was doing better with a similar roster last year and is getting hate for it, potter is doing terribly with this squad (not entirely his fault) but has people standing up for him unconditionally? The people on this forum are so confusing sometimes...

I think the reason people are standing up for Potter is that he was signed as a last minute thing, meaning he's been stuck with Sheens' squad all year. We can't really judge him without letting him build his own squad. Sheens built his for ten years and came up with three from ten. That's the difference I think. If we're still struggling come this time next year, I think we'll be hearing different calls on Potter.

Thank you you've legitimately been very helpful. I expected stupid comments about how Sheens was stupid and a terrible coach but that was a legitimately good answer. Thanks again :)

No worries mate ;)
Glad to be of some sort of assistance.

Mccarry

Post by Mccarry » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:01 pm

Agree. Players are emerging under Potter. That is better than making the top 8 this year. We were never going to win the comp without a halfback.

Sue
Nofo
Simona
Ava

Showing signs
Blair
BMM
Lawrence

I dare to dream. Potter is rebuilding. Yep he may not be showing the strategy of a game plan where tries are constructed a few sets before, but he is growing players. You have to walk before you run.

I dare to believe.

LCA

Post by LCA » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:02 pm

Blake Ayshford is the new Dean Collis, and heading in the same direction.... to the Sharks. Does not deserve an nrl spot again this year. Lawrence is a shocking reader of defence and can't catch a bomb to save his life. I'm running put of patience with him too. Benji was ordinary, Anasta worse than ordinary. If next week's side is picked on form, none of those guys will get a spot.

mtd

Post by mtd » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:43 pm

wtigers wrote:I didn't think Benji was THAT bad. I mean he sure didn't play well but at least he was constructive enough to get us that first try and I could see him making serious genuine efforts in defense the whole night, where other players just jogged along behind.

you're joking right?

wtigers

Post by wtigers » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:45 pm

mtd wrote:
wtigers wrote:I didn't think Benji was THAT bad. I mean he sure didn't play well but at least he was constructive enough to get us that first try and I could see him making serious genuine efforts in defense the whole night, where other players just jogged along behind.

you're joking right?
No. I'm not. And I'm trying to look for positives.judging by your other posts tonight you could use a little more positive. Bagging out players won't get you anywhere but looking at their strengths will make the season a lot more enjoyable for you.

tigermaniac

Post by tigermaniac » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:49 pm

Did you like Benji's try assist to Matai. He was hugging him as he went over. Sh1t they weren't playing for NZ, nor will they together again.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:50 pm

I have avoided criticising Marshall this year because there are plenty doing it and my opinion would add nothing. However, his performance tonight was disgraceful. One of the worst performances by a number 6 for the Tigers that I have seen in 25 years. At least Morris and Fitzhenry avoided passing 4 metres behind the player they were aiming for. Benji did it three times tonight by my count. The mojo has truly deserted him.

Newtown

Post by Newtown » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 10:51 pm

LCA wrote:Blake Ayshford is the new Dean Collis, and heading in the same direction.... to the Sharks. Does not deserve an nrl spot again this year. Lawrence is a shocking reader of defence and can't catch a bomb to save his life. I'm running put of patience with him too. Benji was ordinary, Anasta worse than ordinary. If next week's side is picked on form, none of those guys will get a spot.
Like I have said before Potter hates changing a LOSING side. So expect the same side (or very near to it) next week. At least Lawrence, Benji, Ayshford, Anasta, BMM and Tedesco will be happy about that. Bad luck about the Supporters.

cunno

Post by cunno » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:05 pm

I don't know whether anyone else on the forum was close to the coaches box tonight, if they were they would have seen Potter grimacing, cursing and so on at various stages of the game as was I and those around me. The frustration based on many of the points mentioned by other posters concerning the efforts of some of our players BUT what choices does Potter have? Yes there are players who need to be replaced but is this possible given our salary cap restrictions? It looks like Potter and us will have to grin and bear it for the time being as much as I would also like to see changes.

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Mon 29 Jul, 2013 11:11 pm

I will reserve my judgement till the conclusion of 2014

WestsSupporter

Post by WestsSupporter » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 1:42 am

too bad no new players can play this year. maybe put Farah to half to finish the year?
Extremely frustrated fan. Try not to let my negativity get to you.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 7:05 am

mtd wrote:

you're joking right?
I think Benji is getting judged way too harshly. There were a couple of poor plays but overall he was fine. Anasta was terrible. Farah was average - not terrible but definitely not better than Benji.

delpy

Post by delpy » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 3:24 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:Just heard Potter on MMM and he said Sironen is carrying an injury and they have to limit his minutes. So that explains the move.

Siro is better in the backrow anyway, he was good off the bench. Anasta was truly awful though.

Ayshford should be dropped now. He is just not interested and hasn't been for a while. Just a very ordinary player.
Sirro didn't look too impressed sitting on the bench. It seems that he thought he should have been out there. Seems like he showed it when he came on too.
Delpy
Wests Tigers Member

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 3:28 pm

Benji actually put in a poor kick(on tackle 1)...it was Nofo's acrobatics that ensured it was a try....

pattyferg

Post by pattyferg » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 3:31 pm

alexaki wrote:

Benji actually put in a poor kick(on tackle 1)...it was Nofo's acrobatics that ensured it was a try....
Agree

Like one of the commentators said if nofo was pushed into a better position to put the ball down he was probably going to land over the dead ball line. Was a good option but the kick was long, and was very good skill by nofo.

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 3:33 pm

In hindsight EVERY coach looks like a fool.

Sirro, maybe put him on 10 min earlier. Wasn't that bad of a call. Did you expect his presence to have such an impact? I doubt it, he's basically been playing back row most of the season just with a 7 on his back. Same as tonight.

Ayshford. Well, he's an okay player, how can he predict that he'd be so disinterested? I woulda dropped Lawrence before Ayshford on form. But, since Aysh is leaving and making the 8 is not possible, i'd probably drop ayshford after that performance given he's not coming back in 2014.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Tue 30 Jul, 2013 4:53 pm

Players that should not be picked again this season, but will be because of the stupid 2nd tier salary cap restrictions:-

Tedesco, Ayshford, Anasta, Buchanan and Marshall.

If anyone thinks that Tedesco is a first grade player, then they have rocks in their heads. He cannot keep his feet, he runs into the defence, is nowhere in position when a bomb or grubber comes through.

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Wed 31 Jul, 2013 12:44 pm

Potter should be assessed on his results.
The jury remains out for mine.