Overall thoughts...

Zaibatsu

Overall thoughts...

Post by Zaibatsu » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:13 pm

Well that was disappointing after a very positive start :(

We copped the raw end of the reffing for the most part of the game and were running on empty at the end with nobody fit on the bench but I am not sure how we collapsed in a heap so quickly after leading 12-0 and looking good...

I know losing Teddy would hurt us, but not that much... We just switched off completely :?

For the most part it falls back to the same issue we had in round 1 - Defensive commitment and attitude. We looked to have improved that against the Titans (although they were abysmal) and even more so against Souths, where we were brilliant and our attitude was spot on, but today it completely vanished again, we were lazily arm grabbing, slow to get back into the defensive line and put very little line speed pressure on the Warriors.

I know that we are a young team for the most part and we are going to have these results - good wins, poor losses, we are going to be up and down until a lot of these players get more experience, but it's disappointing to see us drop off in attitude that quickly and sharply really.

I thought Anasta & Blair looked really good early on, they got really involved and looked really positive but then they just disappeared along with the rest of the side, which is disappointing.

Chris Lawrence, I just... I don't know what to say about Chris the past couple of seasons, he seems to be permanently injured and when he is on the park he looks completely void of confidence and attitude, defensively he looks terrible... When Simona comes back I would drop Lawrence and keep Lulia in the side to be honest.

Hopefully the injuries to Woods and Sue aren't too bad and they don't miss much football, we need to aim up next week against Manly the same as we did against the Rabbitohs, try and bash them and get some speed and commitment about our defensive line.

pattyferg

Post by pattyferg » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:17 pm

Full squad would have been a different story. Lulia and Lawrence are probably the worst 2 centres in the league, so I agree. But is be dropping Lulia first, don't know why but seems like a wet lettuce to me, nothing upstairs.

Posted using RoarFEED 2013

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:18 pm

Hard to get a gauge on things really with all the injurys, I thought we still had a go, beaten probably by a better team (only just) in the end, on the end of some dud ref calls and 0 men on the bench....one of those days all they can do is try and take positives out of it

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:22 pm

I see what you're saying but I really don;t think we did fall away that badly. Things got on top of us but I thought our aggression stayed up there.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

Snake

Post by Snake » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:22 pm

One of those games move on to next week..if they were beaten by that score with all players on deck major criticism would be warranted. Saw plenty early to suggest a better season than the last couple.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:22 pm

Zaibatsu wrote: Chris Lawrence, I just... I don't know what to say about Chris the past couple of seasons, he seems to be permanently injured and when he is on the park he looks completely void of confidence and attitude, defensively he looks terrible... When Simona comes back I would drop Lawrence and keep Lulia in the side to be honest.

It's really sad to see Rowdy, well, it's been sad since he injured his hip really. He's not going to be the player he was before that unfortunately for us and him.

Yeah I don't think too much of Lulia, but at this stage, he's probably more preferable than Lawrence.

Fults will be back I assume? I hope so, cause we're running out of troops and we'll need good defenders against the Eagles.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:25 pm

when the warriors upped their intensity we couldn't keep up.
they made yards at will for the last 50mins.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:26 pm

Agreed, you take out the three tries we let in off kicks and it is a much closer game. We tried to hang in there, but silly plays like short kickoffs and failing to kick it 10m cost is in the final scoreline. Why didn't we put any pressure on big Manu??

We lack speed with Teddy off the field which is concerning, but other than Hitchcock I did not see much in NSW cup that led me to believe we have a replacement in the Centres. Is Seve anywhere near ready?

Dissappointing loss but Tigers made a lot of silly errors and were under duress for most of the second half. I agree, get your 1ltr bottle of JD and look forward to next week.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:30 pm

today the warrior's had the bounce of the ball go in their favour, same as some ref's calls.
warriors got on a roll, and finished well.
this will no doubt happen to wests-tigers during the season, and when it does we will enjoy it.

so all in all good day at office for warrior's
bad one for wests-tigers.

onward and upward.
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Post by 851 » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:36 pm

Lawrence simply can't be picked next week,he is a liability,he has no idea how to defend.Lulia offers nothing,we need Simona back and maybe move Noffa to centre and Koro on the wing,we have to do something.
Go hard or go home

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:40 pm

tedesco is the reason we lost
1st try was a knock on
2nd try was cause we had no fullback and lawrence on the wing
3rd try was clearly no fullback richards had no clue
5th try wasa richards knock on would teddy have knocked it on??

Stripes96
Location: Where the folks who know about frostiness stay frostiest the most

Post by Stripes96 » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 5:41 pm

Looked sharp and positive in the first 25 minutes. Obviously losing Teddy was a huge blow, and we didn't have the troops to cover the hole at fullback, though I think Richards to fullback was the wrong choice, it showed our inability to cope when one of our backs go down, especially with a bench full of big boppers.

I don't think Blair played as badly as people are making out. No, he didn't cover himself in glory, but he did do some good things.

Lawrence, on the other hand, was average for the first 25, and woeful for the rest of the game. I feel sorry for him, but unless he can somehow turn himself into a ball running backrower - where I think Sirro has him covered - then unfortunately I think he is finished. Lulia wasn't woeful, but he offers nothing to the side in attack, and is an average defender. Wouldn't crack first grade at many other clubs.

Like many have already mentioned, there's not much you can take out of a game like this. Unfortunate injuries to key players, dodgy refereeing decisions and not getting the rub of the green cost us what could've been a good win, has we continued our early form. All we can do now is lick our wounds and get last Friday's attitude back for Manly next week at Leichardt.

The one thing I'd take out of today, is that we are short of a good centre or two. Surely we have the worst centres in the competition and today it showed.

BlackandGoldForever

Post by BlackandGoldForever » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 6:42 pm

come on guys it wasn't all because of Teddy being out, sure it didn't help, we shot ourselves in the foot that last 10 mins before halftime and the dodgy refs had the warriors come back, Blairs knock on when a kick should have got away.

the 2nd try was rubbish because the warriors should never have had that scrum feed after we knocked the ball backwards.. that try before errr. I mean after halftime was a plain lucky fluke. we seem to always let in Miracle trys before halftime. I always have to walk away from the TV with a minute to go because I know most times it happens!

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 6:50 pm

I'm really sick of people feeling sorry for Lawrence. He is still being paid top dollar for the next two seasons and is a total liability.

Its about time the club accepts he will never get his mojo back. Sad but true.

I will take Nofo,Austin,Lelua and Simona over him no doubt.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 7:21 pm

I think we'll have more days like today as opposed to days like last week unfortunately

willow

Post by willow » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 7:51 pm

innsaneink wrote:Hard to get a gauge on things really with all the injurys, I thought we still had a go, beaten probably by a better team (only just) in the end, on the end of some dud ref calls and 0 men on the bench....one of those days all they can do is try and take positives out of it
Potter was happy with the effort and I certainly think the team tried, but we didn't react well to the injuries sustained and when the possession swung, we just couldn't go with the Warriors and ran out of juice in the backend of the match. We certainly lost our attacking structure when Tedesco left the field and Anasta and Brooks both looked a bit lost in attack.

I think we'll learn from it.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 8:25 pm

as people have said here, i *reluctantly!* agree that lawrence needs a few games back in the nsw cup. being a big supporter of his i just judge him on this season and take into account he just came back from injury (again) but really he needs to be dropped.

all season i have said the centres are the weakest link in the side, and with matai and lyon next week the alarm bells are certainly ringing.

i agree with 851: bring koro in and have nofo and simona in the centres if possible.

Boonboon2

Post by Boonboon2 » Sat 29 Mar, 2014 10:08 pm

So what your saying is next week you would like to run on our right hand side Nofoaluma at centre who has never played thier and Koroibete at wing on the right hand side where he has never played and even on his preferred side he is the worst defensive winger in the comp. not only do you want to do this you want to do it when on manlys left they have Jamie Lyon the smartest and best centre in the comp and David Williams an experienced and high quality winger whose best qualities are his positioning.

Genius absolute genius what next let's start Fulton and Brooks as props