Kurtis Rowe WILL play at fullback for the Tigers

Sabre

Re: Kurtis Rowe WILL play at fullback for the Tigers

Post by Sabre » Tue 08 Apr, 2014 11:02 pm

PYMBLEPETE wrote:
Sabre wrote:
smeghead wrote:
tigertilidie wrote:haven't seen much of him. anyone know how he has been going lately ?
The kid's making his debut.
How about showing some support?
He was asked his opinion; how would you suggest he have responded?
With words would have been a good start. something more constructive maybe?

Black'n'White

Post by Black'n'White » Tue 08 Apr, 2014 11:03 pm

southerntiger wrote:My problem with Rowe is that I inevitably compare him to Jake Mullaney given size yet that comparison doesnt favour Rowe.

Mullaney was a standout in the NYC and Rowe wasnt.

Mullaney was flawless under the highball, Rowe wasnt.

Now, Mullaney couldnt make first grade as his time at Parra ultimately proved. If Mullaney couldnt make it, then how can Rowe?

Hope Rowe proves me wrong and that his inferior NYC record doesnt mean he wont make a better fist of firsts than JM.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
A quote that has served me well through life may well apply here...
"its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

He may well have that big step up inside him, some people choke, others can chew and digest it. I cannot speak for the guys worth, but one thing is for sure, we owe him our support at the very least, at the very worst make our opinions of his capability at the level after 80 mins. If the guy can have a seamless game it will be unbelievable, so expect a bobble, a fumble at the very least, but lets hold the judge jury and execution until after the siren.

Not personal mate, just an apt post to quote.

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Tue 08 Apr, 2014 11:45 pm

im sure every supporter wishes only the best for him. congratulations to kurtis, heres hoping he nails it!

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 12:08 am

Well one way or the other we will get answers

If he is up to it we know to keep him for the future

If he isn't up to it , we know we need to look for a better back up for Teddy

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 8:45 am

Sabre wrote:With words would have been a good start. something more constructive maybe?
No problems

With the three performances I have seen he has been the worst player on the park bar none.

* Constantly out of position allowing huge yardage and many 40/20's to opposition kickers. A few times you can understand but unless it is kicked straight to him he has struggled.

* Returns the ball in a fashion that makes Tim Moltzen look like Taniela Tuiaki. This is the most disappointing aspect of his game considering it was such a strong part of his NYC arsenal.

* Surrenders at the line on inside balls rather then trying to hit the hole.

* Has been very, very quiet in terms of organising the defensive line.

* Has missed approximately 80% of the tackles he has attempted.

I hope that when he goes up the level he blows other teams off the park, I want him to succeed however based on form alone, not talent, his promotion is puzzling.

We all want him to succeed though

barra

Post by barra » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 9:19 am

Well if nothing else his game will be a great point of interest. It was a surprise to me that he was picked, especially after all the years of Sheens selections.

I can't say I've noticed him in the games I've seen his teams play - at least not like Tedesco made me sit up and take note the first time I saw him on the field - but there seems to be varying claims as to Rowe's ability so as Happy said, looks like we'll find out one way or the other.

Good luck young fella.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 5:48 pm

smeghead wrote:
Sabre wrote:With words would have been a good start. something more constructive maybe?
No problems

With the three performances I have seen he has been the worst player on the park bar none.

* Constantly out of position allowing huge yardage and many 40/20's to opposition kickers. A few times you can understand but unless it is kicked straight to him he has struggled.

* Returns the ball in a fashion that makes Tim Moltzen look like Taniela Tuiaki. This is the most disappointing aspect of his game considering it was such a strong part of his NYC arsenal.

I hope that when he goes up the level he blows other teams off the park, I want him to succeed however based on form alone, not talent, his promotion is puzzling.

Aye, if criticism from one person derails Rowe's future, then he is doomed. He is supposed to perform in spite postings of steaming poop on the interwebs.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 6:02 pm

barra wrote:Well if nothing else his game will be a great point of interest. It was a surprise to me that he was picked, especially after all the years of Sheens selections.

I can't say I've noticed him in the games I've seen his teams play - at least not like Tedesco made me sit up and take note the first time I saw him on the field - but there seems to be varying claims as to Rowe's ability so as Happy said, looks like we'll find out one way or the other.

Good luck young fella.
There's no comparison between Teddy and Rowe , but you replace fullbacks with fullbacks

If something doesn't come instinctively when you are fullback , you are doomed especially at this level

If he fails he fails , and we know that we need to start looking for another fullback or place our hopes that Farrell will be ready in a few years

But as I said earlier , if anyone has three on ones coming at him all day the front line hasn't done its job

That's why it made sense to keep the backline as stable as possible and take the risk on Rowe , not the other way round

Rowe will only need to do the simple things right in my eyes and he has done his job

Plenty of talk from the back , safe under the high ball , and good positionally in defence

JT can make the best fullbacks look bad with his kicking game

I reckon he will go OK , but if people go in with expectations he will crack 200 m with 8 line breaks , 3 try assists and plant blokes in defence all the way back to Leichardt they could be disappointed

The other thing is our coach is an ex fullback , he will put him straight what his expectations are

Good luck young fella

Back yourself , play positively and play aggressively ,attack the ball and if it seems right it probably is

willow

Post by willow » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 7:27 pm

Courtesy of the official Wests Tigers website:

Kurtis Rowe ready for NRL debut

Wed 9th April, 04:19PM

Not even the usually shy Kurtis Rowe could hide his excitement of finally making his NRL debut for Wests Tigers this weekend against the North Queensland Cowboys.

The New Zealand under-20 international fullback will run out for his first match of first-grade this weekend due to an injury to regular fullback James Tedesco, and spoke of his desire to repay the faith shown in him by Wests Tigers NRL Head Coach Mick Potter.

“I’m just really excited,” Rowe said. “When I got told the good news on Monday, the first thing I did was ring my mum — she was probably more excited than me!

“It’s always been a childhood dream [to play first-grade] so I’m really excited.”

The thrill of making his making his debut will be made even sweeter by the fact that the former Australian Schoolboys fullback will be taking the field with players like Luke Brooks and David Nofoaluma, whom he went through the Club’s NYC system with for two years.

“We had some real good combinations happening there in the under-20’s so hopefully we can continue that in the NRL… I can’t wait to see what happens,” he said.

“I’m feeling good and confident and I’m ready to rip in.”

Potter was flowing in his praise of Rowe earlier in the week, and said that he had no hesitation in naming the 21-year-old as Tedesco’s replacement.

“Kurtis will do a good job, he has been going really well in NSW Cup,” Potter said. “He is fast, has really good endurance and good vision.”

“He’s been working right through the pre-season with us and he is a player that is sort of a little bit quiet and unassuming but gets about his business really well,” Potter said.

A product of Keebra Park High School, Rowe turned heads with two superb seasons in the NYC competition, where he scored 38 tries in 45 games. The wiry fullback has continued that form into 2014 with a number of strong performances for the Club’s NSW Cup squad, and earned similarly high praise from State Cup Head Coach Paul Fletcher.

“I know he won’t let anyone down,” said Fletcher.

“His support play and awareness of the game and where the ball is in play and things like that are excellent. He can score a try and make a break, and I know that the team isn’t going to lose anything with Kurtis at the back.

“He’s worked hard over the last years to get this shot and I’m more than happy for him. I can’t wait to see him get out there and show him what he’s got.”

Saturday will no doubt hold plenty of emotions for Rowe — particularly with his parents making their way all the way from the Gold Coast to Campbelltown Sports Stadium — but the No. 1 is remaining grounded and focusing solely on doing his job like normal.

That’s just the kind of guy that Kurtis is: quiet, calm and focused on the task ahead.

“I’m just preparing my normal game — trying to take it all in up to Saturday," he said.

“I just want to do my job.

“Get in and get it done — that’s all I want.”

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 9:56 pm

smeghead wrote:
No problems

I'm sure you have seen more of him than I have, and I generally trust your judgement on up and comers.
Kurtis seems like an interesting one, I remember a year or so ago people saying he wasn't far behind Tedesco in terms of ability, but obviously since then Teddy has gone to another level. Hopefully over the next 6 weeks Rowe will relish the opportunity and do the same. As long as he does a reliable job I'll be happy.

VanillaThunder

Post by VanillaThunder » Wed 09 Apr, 2014 10:26 pm

Hopefully Harry tells him that, barring a catastrophic debut, the fullback jersey is his for the next six or however many weeks til Teddy is fit to play. I've seen very little of him previously so I'm withholding judgment and hopefully the young fella goes hard and shows some pride in the jersey, can't ask for much more.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:10 am

smeghead wrote:* Returns the ball in a fashion that makes Tim Moltzen look like Taniela Tuiaki. This is the most disappointing aspect of his game considering it was such a strong part of his NYC arsenal.
:lol: Funny but true. It's just like watching a mini Moltzen.

Jerry Seinfeld

Post by Jerry Seinfeld » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 9:25 am

Fumbles wrote:
smeghead wrote:* Returns the ball in a fashion that makes Tim Moltzen look like Taniela Tuiaki. This is the most disappointing aspect of his game considering it was such a strong part of his NYC arsenal.

:lol: Funny but true. It's just like watching a mini Moltzen.

Incorrect.Hes running back isnt too bad considering his light frame.I dont know how but he did a good play where it looked for all money Jarryd hayne was going to trap him in goal but he met hayne head on and actually broke out of his tackle and made it back into the field of play.Those plays are crucial.His positioning at times has been found out with a kick try and a 40/20 although to be fair the kick try was more on the winger not staying on his wing and the 40/20 was probably as much on the winger as it was the fullback.Was jolly on the spot to defuse a dangerous grubber in the second half.But again for the most part his positioning has been good.Made a crucial drop in the eels game when returning the kick 10 metres out from our line which was REALLY dangerous but at other times has shown great hands picking up dangerous grubbers around his bootlaces.So whilst having some things to work on lets not question the 80kg 20 year olds attempt at first grade with suggestions of cowardice and him being pathetic as some have.He is what he is a 20 year old bloke still growing physically whilst playing at the elite level of competition.Im sure Mick potter who was fullback of the year a few times himself will be able to help him along the way.Sure I like everyone miss teddy but this guy could turn into a very handy and reliable backup.Have some faith guys.

Tigersman

Post by Tigersman » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 10:45 am

Give the kid a break.......He has been in First-Grade for like 2 seconds some people just get overwhelmed and nervous not everyone is the never nervous Luke Brooks.
Tigersman since 2013!

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:36 am

Spot on Tigersman, I hope People give the kid a break, Only his 2nd First grade game & hes going O.k.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 11:57 am

We have won two games against quality football teams with Rowe at no1, so why on earth would we change things around.First week he was very hesitant as to be expected and against Parra he got more involved. I expect a slow but steady improvement each week.

All I can say is give the kid a break, its the hardest gig on the field and is putting in plenty of effort, okay he is no Teddy but he is doing a job for us and that is all you can ask for

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:09 pm

supercoach wrote:We have won two games against quality football teams with Rowe at no1, so why on earth would we change things around.First week he was very hesitant as to be expected and against Parra he got more involved. I expect a slow but steady improvement each week.

All I can say is give the kid a break, its the hardest gig on the field and is putting in plenty of effort, okay he is no Teddy but he is doing a job for us and that is all you can ask for
to be honest, rowe did just as well as teddy did in his first 20-30minutes of FG. hesitant, but went okay.

i remember a time when moltzen was outplaying james tedesco and most on here agreed that teddy should remain on the wing with moltz at 1, let tedesco develop without immense pressure of playing NRL fullback.

rowe is obviously a good player, perhaps not the next billy slater but he deserves at least 1 or 2 more games to see what he can produce. definitely needs to bulk up before ever getting a permanent spot on any team at 1.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Tigersman

Post by Tigersman » Wed 23 Apr, 2014 1:23 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
supercoach wrote:We have won two games against quality football teams with Rowe at no1, so why on earth would we change things around.First week he was very hesitant as to be expected and against Parra he got more involved. I expect a slow but steady improvement each week.

to be honest, rowe did just as well as teddy did in his first 20-30minutes of FG. hesitant, but went okay.

i remember a time when moltzen was outplaying james tedesco and most on here agreed that teddy should remain on the wing with moltz at 1, let tedesco develop without immense pressure of playing NRL fullback.

rowe is obviously a good player, perhaps not the next billy slater but he deserves at least 1 or 2 more games to see what he can produce. definitely needs to bulk up before ever getting a permanent spot on any team at 1.
100% He's only 20 he has plenty of time do that he will most likely bulk up this off-season.
Tigersman since 2013!