Moving off the mark

  •  Recent Topics
Post Reply
larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Moving off the mark

Post by larrycorowa » Sat 10 May, 2014 9:44 pm

This is one of my pet hates at the moment. Players being called tackled and then advancing. It puts the markers offside and allows an attack to gain momentum unfairly. Although he killed us last night Tupou, should have been penalised at least twice. Since when are players allowed to crawl 2-3 meters?

All the referees do is need to starting penalising this and it will stop.


Snake
Member
Member
Posts: 4488
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 5:37 pm

Post by Snake » Sat 10 May, 2014 10:04 pm

larrycorowa wrote:This is one of my pet hates at the moment. Players being called tackled and then advancing. It puts the markers offside and allows an attack to gain momentum unfairly. Although he killed us last night Tupou, should have been penalised at least twice. Since when are players allowed to crawl 2-3 meters?

All the referees do is need to starting penalising this and it will stop.
Spot on I to was pissed with this ,refs just call them back to the mark,but they should be penalised it gives the attacking side an advantage.

spearby
Member
Member
Posts: 617
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 7:23 pm

Post by spearby » Sun 11 May, 2014 8:00 am

this is my big hate take the marker out of play then the dummy half makes 20 mtrs my other one is split markers in defence manly are the worst at this double marker every play the ball .remember we got 2 referees one to clean up the ruck what bulls**T

Russell
Member
Member
Posts: 3724
Joined: Sat 10 Dec, 2011 6:46 pm

Post by Russell » Sun 11 May, 2014 8:18 am

This has been forgotten - This indidcretion has been to allowed to infest our game.

Manly are bad agreed - The worst are Souffs and in particular Inglis - every time he plays the ball.

Attack has enough protection - how about one for the defence.

User avatar
barrytiger
Member
Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 8:59 pm
Location: Annandale
Contact:

Post by barrytiger » Sun 11 May, 2014 1:57 pm

they can move up from the mark as much as they like as far as im concerned, the ref takes the defending team back the required 10 metres,so if the attack moves up closer its a lot easier for the defence.


User avatar
pHyR3
Member
Member
Posts: 5048
Joined: Tue 12 Feb, 2013 7:11 pm

Post by pHyR3 » Sun 11 May, 2014 2:02 pm

I think a penalty is a bit harsh. Instead force the attacker who advanced to play it again from the correct mark. This gives the defense ample time to completely reset and stops the attacker's momentum.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

tig_prmz
Member
Member
Posts: 7873
Joined: Sat 03 Oct, 2009 10:32 pm

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 11 May, 2014 3:17 pm

Campese is the worst

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 37664
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 11 May, 2014 3:21 pm

I still think half the problem is the 1st marker has his hands all over the player playing the ball

Maybe if the marker must stand at least 2 metres from the man playing the ball will help fix both problems

Then the referees will have a clear idea who is at fault , whether it be the attacking side or the markers

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 2609
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Sun 11 May, 2014 5:32 pm

Justin hodges does it every time he carries the ball. I can't stand it, even though it shortens the 10 it still gives the attack an advantage because it allows them to get on the front foot it's wrong. Markers shouldn't have to back peddle because a player wants to step forward before playing the ball. Repeat offenders need to be penalized.

PYMBLEPETE
Member
Member
Posts: 1033
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:15 pm

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Sun 11 May, 2014 9:22 pm

TIGER wrote:Justin hodges does it every time he carries the ball. I can't stand it, even though it shortens the 10 it still gives the attack an advantage because it allows them to get on the front foot it's wrong. Markers shouldn't have to back peddle because a player wants to step forward before playing the ball. Repeat offenders need to be penalized.
Agree. Hodges was one of the pioneers of this but it has been enthusiastically adopted by many others.

derailed
Member
Member
Posts: 294
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 8:10 am
Location: Summer Hill

Post by derailed » Sun 11 May, 2014 10:30 pm

As a referee I tell the players that if they step of the mark they are shortening the ten.

I also look at the markers and if someone is making an attempt to get back to marker and is denied because the attacking player has moved off the mark. I let them tackle them and call play on. When questioned I explain exactly why I called it that way to the captain.

Works on two fronts as it allows the play to continue without a penalty but also stops players doing it as they are disadvantaged.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 37664
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sun 11 May, 2014 10:34 pm

derailed wrote:As a referee I tell the players that if they step of the mark they are shortening the ten.

I also look at the markers and if someone is making an attempt to get back to marker and is denied because the attacking player has moved off the mark. I let them tackle them and call play on. When questioned I explain exactly why I called it that way to the captain.

Works on two fronts as it allows the play to continue without a penalty but also stops players doing it as they are disadvantaged.
So why can't the top referees ( sorry if you are a top referee , but I'm guessing you wouldn't post on a Forum ) use the same common sense

Post Reply