Dummy half issues

Newtown

Re: Dummy half issues

Post by Newtown » Sun 25 May, 2014 12:30 am

When Farah is on SOO duties a real dummy half as in Cherrington should be used.

teegasm

Post by teegasm » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:02 am

STC wrote:So frustrating watching Luani. He is slow, lazy and easy for the opposition to read. He should be dropped immediately. Put Blake Austin in dummy half and Curtis Sironen on the bench as cover
30+ tackles (2nd highest for the team) and 60+ running metres which on par with Sue, Seumanufagai and Blair in about 50 minutes game time is hardly lazy

Austin ended up playing more time at hooker than Luani. I'm not saying that Austin played badly but i think you're frustrations are misplaced

teegasm

Post by teegasm » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:06 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:Luani is a very astute defender, but offers very little in attack. I feel our attack would have fared better if Austin started. The rot was particularly evident when Brooks was led off the field though and Luani was flung back on.
I've just watched the replay of the game and I don't see what "rot" you're talking about.

teegasm

Post by teegasm » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:23 am

Balmain Boy wrote:Luani's passing is poor. He offers nothing in attack and just doesn't seem to be on the same page as the rest of the team. That could be s last game for us IMO.

In the future a combination of some sort between Austin/Halatau/Fulton should be used.
What game were you watching? I saw nothing wrong in his passing at the stadium and upon watching the replay I still didnt see a poor pass. Not one. He ran for plenty of metres in his 30 minutes at hooker and I don't know what you base your "same page" crap on

teegasm

Post by teegasm » Sun 25 May, 2014 8:09 am

I find the criticism of Luani very frustrating and unwarranted. I am a fan of his and the way he plays but i watched the replay again to see if i missed something. Some of the stuff being thrown around about tonight's game is pulled from nowhere

a) "poor passing"

-there wasn't a single bad pass thrown from Luani tonight. period.

b) "he arrives late way too often and a couple of times he did this in the last which put our kicker under pressure forcing a bad option"

-this happened once and only once. it was in the 27th minute. Austin comes on which shifts Luani to second row as Akauola comes off. Anasta comes in to help out at dummy half (which is unnecessary because Austin is fresh but Anasta probably hadn't realised what was going on with the interchange stuff because it had just happened) and plays it to Austin as if he were 5/8 for the first couple tackles. Then comes last tackle and Anasta and Austin both set up for a last tackle kick option leaving no one to go into dummy half which Luani then scurries to get to, even though he is now second rower and luckily was just following the play. After some confusion as to who wants the kick, a hurried kick comes from Anasta, which, in comparison with our other 5th tackle options on the night, wasn't even that bad. Our poor 5th tackle ops were not his fault

c) "but why put a hooker in to replace Farah who doesn't play like him?"

The hooker's first and foremost job is to supply ball to his halves and forward runners in attack, and in defence, control the middle of the park and tackle everything that moves. Farah is an exceptional hooker in that in addition to the those key roles, he also has an excellent attacking game which includes playmaking as well as running out of dummy half. Only Cameron Smith and possibly Isaac Luke match this style and calibre of play.

The job is primarily tough and gritty- it's not all about "flair" as people like to scream about and most other hookers in the NRL (see Ballin, Ennis, Friend, even Mccullough and he's rumoured as Smith's predecessor) play it this way (with the exception of the superstars i already mentioned). Not only this, but Farah's role is even bigger in attack because Brooks is still a rookie and Anasta's got nothing, so a lot of our attack relies on Farah.

Want someone who plays like Farah? Sure just make $800 000+ cap space to get Smith or Luke

Luani played only first 27 minutes at hooker and then another 5 minute stint in the second half while Brooks was getting a concussion test. He played the rest of his (just under) 50 minutes at second-row. He ran it on the last tackle which he obviously didn't realise was the last tackle in the first set which was a silly mistake. I couldn't fault anything else in his time actually playing hooker. Nothing wrong with his passing. Once was slow to play-the-ball. He made good runs out of dummy half. His defence was the best part of his game. He made second most tackles for the tigers and they were good, hard dominant tackles for a lot of them. His running metres weren't amazing but you must take into account that it's harder to catch markers off guard when all the defenders are fresh in the first half.

Austin also played well. he ran for over a hundred metres which was great. He also made like 20 tackles which is good (though maybe slightly on the light side for a 50 minute stint at hooker). Only thing i could fault him on was in maybe the last 10 minutes he maybe overplayed his hand a bit. You're not gonna score from dummy half when you scoot from almost 10 metres away from the tryline against a set defence. Although when he passed to Ava it nearly created something.

Combine Luani and Austin's efforts (at hooker) and you get stats which resemble Farah's in the win against Sharks minus the try-assists which of course, is what makes Robbie one of the best hookers in the country. These guys both couldn't do it on their own at the moment. It took Farah around 2 years to become an 80 minute guy. These guys have both played less than 10 games each. People are quick to forgive errors in Brooks' positional play because of how inexperienced he is but don't give the same courtesy to others

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Sun 25 May, 2014 9:16 am

The service was poor from dummy half and this stifled our attack and us lose rhythm at critical moments. Passes behind the player, too far in front.....basically passing to where the player was standing, not where he is going. Luani also has a weak pass, 7 metres is his limit, any longer and he passes Harbour Bridges.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 25 May, 2014 11:28 am

Luani does alright for a lock or backrower. I am sorry to teegasm but I counted at least 6 late dummy half arrivals from Luani.

Flippedy

Post by Flippedy » Sun 25 May, 2014 12:21 pm

Teegasm is right. Let's face it, Farah is an extremely hard act to follow. He is not just a tough, uncompromising hooker like most in the comp, he is class. We lose so much more than a dummy half when he is out, so comparisons can be a bit unfair.

Luani is promising, but he is still very raw and Austin is not really a hooker. I think we would be faring a lot better if Halatau had have been fit to replace Farah during this time. Let's hope he is back before too long so we can get some experienced dummy half play to cover for Farah during the rest of the Origin period.
Sooner or later, next year has to be this year - Ricksen

Properossi

Post by Properossi » Sun 25 May, 2014 12:27 pm

Let's put anasta there?
My bad he'd suck there too lets just punt him!

kingbeej

Post by kingbeej » Sun 25 May, 2014 12:36 pm

Tigersmurf wrote:Bring back Michael Brown!
Masada iosefa!

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:41 pm

Luani was very bad last night. As others said I lost count of the amount of times we played the ball and no one was there when Joel meant to be at dummy half. At least his defence is solid.

I don't think cherrington could handle the defence in first grade. I'd look at giving Farlow a crack there next time Farrah's off

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:42 pm

fergiefurr wrote:Luani was very bad last night. As others said I lost count of the amount of times we played the ball and no one was there when Joel meant to be at dummy half. At least his defence is solid.

I don't think cherrington could handle the defence in first grade. I'd look at giving Farlow a crack there next time Farrah's off
Yep unfortunately Joel doesnt have it. Good kid and gives his all but cant keep up at this level.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:51 pm

i have to agree that one of the major things i noticed last night was luani's passes from dummy half. imo he was very lucky not to have had at least 2 of them called forward, as i definitely thought a few were.

forward passes from dh is one of my most despised mistakes!! i hate it!!

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:57 pm

Joel is a converted backrower from NYC.

He would make a fine utility.

During the next Origin missing game Halatau should be back and coming off the bench to allow Austin to start

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 25 May, 2014 7:04 pm

Halatau will be back shortly. He's nothing special out of dummy half but at least he's a solid, experienced first grader. He should be straight in when Robbie is unavailable.
On the bus or under it!
Your choice.

teegasm

Post by teegasm » Sun 25 May, 2014 10:56 pm

I've literally watched over the whole game a 3rd time and simply do not see the multiple bad passes and late arrivals some here are talking about. I implore you to watch again as i have and if you STILL see it the same way, then we have differing qualifications for what is a "bad pass" and what being "late" to the play-the-ball means
-in which case, i'm glad none of you are the coach. go on and b**** about the guy who played the first 27 minutes at hooker

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 26 May, 2014 7:49 am

teegasm wrote:I've literally watched over the whole game a 3rd time and simply do not see the multiple bad passes and late arrivals some here are talking about. I implore you to watch again as i have and if you STILL see it the same way, then we have differing qualifications for what is a "bad pass" and what being "late" to the play-the-ball means
-in which case, i'm glad none of you are the coach. go on and [automatically edited] about the guy who played the first 27 minutes at hooker
I think you need to watch the game again. I lost count of how many times we played the ball and there was nobody there.

Chipofftheoldblock

Post by Chipofftheoldblock » Mon 26 May, 2014 8:40 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:Luani's passing is poor. He offers nothing in attack and just doesn't seem to be on the same page as the rest of the team. That could be s last game for us IMO.

In the future a combination of some sort between Austin/Halatau/Fulton should be used.
I agree with most of what you have said. Luani defence is good although he shot out of the defence line tonight a couple of times which puts pressure on his outside men. He has no attack, is not quick off the mark and his option passing leaves little to the imagination.
I personally think Halatau will be the back up hooker with his strong defence and quick out of dummy half.
I would be happy to have leave Luani out all together at this stage.