Luke Brooks and Blake Austin

Eddie

Luke Brooks and Blake Austin

Post by Eddie » Sat 24 May, 2014 10:46 pm

Gee I thought they were both good. Brooks was terrific in my opinion. He did everything possible to try and get us over the line. Some things came off, a couple didn't. However he was everywhere. He was tough as well, doesn't shirk anything.

His number 6 put him under pressure on a number of occasions. Like I have been saying all year, he is not a calming influence rather a hinderance. Plus having fill in fullback and dummy half, Brooks was a one man band.

Austin playing out of a position he has never played really tried everything as well. Was making tough yards and trying to throw direct passes.

These guys are talented players, however their attitude is even better. I said Austin and Brooks should have been starting in the halves all year and I maintain that.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 24 May, 2014 10:55 pm

I agree Eddie. In the first half when things when Brooks strung a few poor 5th tackle options together Anasta was nowhere to be seen. Austin needs to be given more than just a token opportunity to make the #6 his. He has shown intent every time he has run out in our colours.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Defiant
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Defiant » Sat 24 May, 2014 11:58 pm

Yes. Austin has deserved the 6 from round 1.

thesquid

Post by thesquid » Sun 25 May, 2014 12:53 am

Austin and Brooks would do well together. Watching Austin in NSW cup, he leads the team around and has plenty of 5th tackle options going on. Brooks hasn't really lead the team around, Anasta just cant do it, Brooks isn't offering much in 5th tackle options, Anasta just cant do it.

If Potter can get them to share the roll as bests fits their abilities, I have no doubt they'll kill it and we will not have close to the most ineffective half pairing of the comp.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 25 May, 2014 1:22 am

Austin needs some glue remover

He runs far too often , especially close to the line

Jerry Seinfeld

Post by Jerry Seinfeld » Sun 25 May, 2014 5:17 am

happy tiger wrote:Austin needs some glue remover

Austin needs the 6 jersey.

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Sun 25 May, 2014 5:41 am

happy tiger wrote:Austin needs some glue remover

Of course, you may prefer Anasta, who does little and what HE does do is RUBBISH.
Oh! That is right, he is there to give guidance to the younger players. It is a pity there appears to be little of that.
Brooks and Austin MUST be the halves!

tigerlogic

Post by tigerlogic » Sun 25 May, 2014 6:37 am

In the last 10mins Austin played dumb, couple of kicks he attempted were pathetic, one pass off the ruck from the sideline on last tackle, any experienced player would get two passes wide to avoid pressure, his put bombs up landing 20-30 out from Brisbane line instead of kicking deep so we could get better field position hence getting close enough in our next set to have a shot!
Anasta wasn't much better during this period

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

Demps

Post by Demps » Sun 25 May, 2014 8:49 am

I think Austin was running from dummy half to take pressure off and make some easier metres.
Luani was doing a lot of it too.

Probably cos Robbie wasn't there.
We would have won if Farah was #9
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 25 May, 2014 9:00 pm

Eddie wrote:Gee I thought they were both good. Brooks was terrific in my opinion. He did everything possible to try and get us over the line. Some things came off, a couple didn't. However he was everywhere. He was tough as well, doesn't shirk anything.

His number 6 put him under pressure on a number of occasions. Like I have been saying all year, he is not a calming influence rather a hinderance. Plus having fill in fullback and dummy half, Brooks was a one man band.

Austin playing out of a position he has never played really tried everything as well. Was making tough yards and trying to throw direct passes.

These guys are talented players, however their attitude is even better. I said Austin and Brooks should have been starting in the halves all year and I maintain that.
I'm with you on that. Anasta is not improving with age, Austin and Brooks certainly are and both look likely when they take the line, which neither are afraid to do and it's something Anasta refuses to do.

Tigercrb

Post by Tigercrb » Sun 25 May, 2014 9:31 pm

I thought anasta was there for his experience and to take the pressure of brooks. HE put the pressure on brooks. So many times he just threw tha ball to brooks on the last tackle and wiped his hands of it. Anasta can't seem to get repeat sets and is not a calming influence because he's not controlling the game well enough. He is not a threat running the ball and his kicking game is terrible.
Blake Austin at least asks questions of the defence and is always trying something. He wants the ball in his hands where as anasta goes missing. I think you will find anasta will still start at 6 but Austin will get more and more minutes until anasta is pushed out

softlaw

Post by softlaw » Sun 25 May, 2014 9:33 pm

Brooks gets caught with the ball quite a lot on the 5th. That's not such a drama if Robbie is there because he can run the last tackle play, but when he's not there that only leaves anasta. And that is one of the main reasons our final plays are so rubbish without Robbie.
If we can bring a half decent 6 in fairly soon then that will allow the 5th and 6th tackle options to be far better organised.
Having another half that the opposition defence has to at least look at will also help. Currently they can double up on Brooks which cuts right down on his options.
Madgic!

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 25 May, 2014 9:44 pm

We run one out for some reason. Our halves lack options heaps. There are no blockers on 5th tackle when the opposition put kickers under pressure.

Our forwards do very good with the ball in hand and in defense- but off the ball, they don't run enough decoys or protect the halves.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Eye Of Da Tiger

Post by Eye Of Da Tiger » Mon 26 May, 2014 7:26 am

Anasta is a hindrance not a help. Poor options, poor execution ,and slow. Austin is a must to start.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 26 May, 2014 9:14 am

Austin is average... Thank god Moses is starting to get a few games in NSW Cup!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Jay

Post by Jay » Mon 26 May, 2014 9:52 am

Austin is really fast but I don't think he has the play making ability to play 5/8th.

Anasta doesn't either though I suppose hah.

Gotta concentrate on Moses.

thesquid

Post by thesquid » Mon 26 May, 2014 10:32 am

Forget moses. He is a full year of nsw cup away and about another 20 kilos. Compare austin to moses in nsw cup after a few games and austin may just look the better player. Austin must start at 5/8th now

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 26 May, 2014 5:55 pm

This may sound a bit harsh, but I think both over play their hand a bit.
The exuberance of youth and all that.
I think it is difficult to play both in the same side.

Brooks is under going a very steep learning curve and doing extremely well at this point, but is very much a work in progress. I know people dont like Anasta and would rather AUstin, but I dont think AUstin and Brooks together is the answer. I dont expect many to agree.