Happy / sad

jirskyr

Happy / sad

Post by jirskyr » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 1:38 am

Lots of posts this weekend about the coaching / board innuendo, not so much about the actual footy. Luckily I've been offline a few days, I've managed to dodge the speculation.

Happy
1. Blake Austin again shows he is one to fire up the team. Gus got it right, he's got a few errors in him, but by and large he does a good job and is making a fist of consistent selection.

2. Farah scoring and firing up. Unfortunately it did not result in more points, but it was good to see the whole team enthused like that, perhaps venting frustration over the rollercoaster week the club has had. Farah really tried to lift the team, lots of good probing runs. Marty Taupau also charged forward on some occasions to lift us.

3. Dominated first 20, we had a lot of good sets today up until tackle 4 or so, really rolled forward well at times.

4. Blair was busy, lots of good defence and looked for the footy in attack. I think he can improve his hitups by not slowing at the defence - he keeps jiggling like he's gonna offload but it never happens, better to just crash into the defenders than lose momentum.

5. I thought video ref got it right today when given the chance. I don't believe the crap by Gould that "players would understand, refs don't". Brooks was obstructed because although he took a step into Ah Mau's line, he was prevented a chance to adjust once the ball went to Quinlan. It's the same with getting stepped, just because you were fooled by the defence doesn't mean they can make contact with you and prevent your recovery. I feel Brooks certainly would have had a shot on Quinlan had Ah Mau not steamrolled him. But I also think Simona lost control of the footy, so it was cancelled out.

6. Big game from Woods, haven't see the stats, but he carried defenders all day and looked like a man playing with boys, almost crossed 2-3 times as well. It's a shame we have to sub him, the guy is almost never put on his arse.

Sad.
1. We dodged a bullet with the Quilan try, fudged out hitback and then let Drags in again. Typical Tigers to allow 38th minute tries.

2. Are we impotent in attack from 20m out? I start to fear when we get too close to our try line sometimes, we are really bad at constructing sets when the opposition no longer has to retreat 10m.

3. Errors - last week we didn't make them, our opposition did, we cantered home. Today we made errors and Saints didn't; reversed result. Until we respect possession and reduce # penalties every week, we are going to be a 50/50 team, cop a few hidings and have an ordinary for/against.

4. Lost the game in the first 20 mins. We had the Drags on toast early, rolling up field and forcing penalties. But continuously turning the ball over early in attack just invited them back into it. When Drags chanced their hand out wide, they executed and got ahead by 18. Execution was a shadow of last week.

5. Brooks - not one of his better games today. He got rolled by Ah Mau early and defended nervously the rest of the game, causing Sirro to over-commit to Ah Mau for rest of the game. He was lucky to get away with the Quinlan no-try, he should not be crossing in front of his own defenders like that. I don't know why he tried to shoulder-charge Nightingale instead of going for a proper tackle, that killed us on the stroke of halftime. I feel Brooks is starting to shrink away from the tough plays, he needs to step up more when we are behind, not just when we are in front.

6. Did that twit Dugan get up every single tackle and complain about something? He is such a mug.

7. Just "watching" in defence. Sirro guilty for the Rein break and Bodene caught watching a number of times - the Beale try, the Austin chip that lead to a Saints break downfield. Bodene especially, he has to realise centres need to chase all game, you can't put your head down when they get in behind. If he chases on the Widdop chip, maybe he forces a play on Beale instead of an essentially free run to the line.

8. Benji catching the ball over the line. For all the things refs step in and penalise, stupid ruck penalties and such, how some other blatant errors are just let go. It seems to be pot luck whether the vid ref can step in on a clearly wrong call; we've copped a few in recent weeks.

9. Widdop. I can't stand the guy, he's becoming our new Gasnier or Pritchard, made to look like an immortal whenever he plays us. The Nightingale try, I can't stand when we get flat-footed against these jinking runs and some how let a 2-on-1 develop.

10. Gavet - I love the enthusiasm but he needs to work on his focus, a really bad dropped ball and some screwy tackling. He has a very inconsistent technique in defence, almost never uses his shoulder. He needs to spend his first 5 mins on the field a little more calmly, get into the game with some solid runs before opening up the can of lunatic.

11. Thompson - hard to play out of position, but he is found wanting for speed when beaten on the outside. Getting out-run by Morris is nothing to be ashamed of, but Saints targeted that side all day and it undid us 3/5 tries, a few other breaks and half-breaks.

12. Did we run at Benji with anything other than Tim Simona? Why oh why did we not have Taupau or Jesse Sue hitting the ball at speed around Benji's edge. The guy hardly had to do anything except throw a few passes and knock-on from the kickoff.

13. We are still failing to use hard-running forwards out wide. We made great in-roads around the ruck today, but nothing doing out wide except face balls for poor Tim Simona to cop some solid beltings. The play right consisted of passes behind Lulia's back.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 4:05 am

Brooks did bloody well to see out the game with the shoulder injury he picked up in the first 5 minutes. The injury was probably the reason why he bumped Nightingale instead of tackling him into touch. The Somona try was a try for all money-we always seem to get the arse-end of decisions like that for some reason. Definitely think the boys read all the raps they got in the press during the week after whipping the Bulldogs and just assumed they would give the Dragons a hiding as well. Too complacent and laid-back when it came to holding the bloody ball, especially early in the tackle count. We seem to make more basic errors than any other team in the comp.

weststigers

Post by weststigers » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 11:27 am

Fade To Black wrote:Brooks did bloody well to see out the game with the shoulder injury he picked up in the first 5 minutes. The injury was probably the reason why he bumped Nightingale instead of tackling him into touch. The Somona try was a try for all money-we always seem to get the arse-end of decisions like that for some reason. Definitely think the boys read all the raps they got in the press during the week after whipping the Bulldogs and just assumed they would give the Dragons a hiding as well. Too complacent and laid-back when it came to holding the bloody ball, especially early in the tackle count. We seem to make more basic errors than any other team in the comp.
We struggled on Bodene's side all day which cost is big time.

In saying that, had we had a bit of luck, things could have been different:

1. Brooks missing the easy tackle on Nightingale
2. The Simona no-try
3. The Marshall call

In saying that, every team will deal with similar decisions in a game. These decisions tend to mean a lot more to us because we make the rest of the game hard for ourselves by not completing sets and having bad 5th tackle options.

Posted using RoarFEED V.4

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 11:33 am

The fact our team thinks that using tactics v every team will work

We played the Saints like we played the Bulldogs , heaps of ball movement

We should of destroyed the Dragons with heaps of go forward and repeat sets and just overpowered them

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 12:14 pm

I thought Brooks picked up the shoulder problem because he charged Nightingale, not that he already had it?

He just needed to go for a legs tackle, with such a heavy collision, it shows how much time he had to go for a proper tackle.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 28 Jul, 2014 12:27 pm

Like point 13 Jirskyr

Would love us to get Taupau out wider in attack close to the line , even just once in a while , even just to use him as a decoy