Halves quiet

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Halves quiet

Post by formerguest » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 5:32 pm

cktiger wrote:
formerguest wrote:They are playing to the coach's instructions, so they won't be dropped. Personally, like some others, I would prefer the shackles were loosened a little so they can at least play what unfolds in the opposition twenty, rather than simply continue with doomed set plays.
I don't know how long Taylor will keep the chains on them.
Surely better to make a mistake backing your ability than make a mistake sticking to a prearranged attacking plan that isn't working.
All three of them (counting Tedesco as well) must be going crazy holding back.
Yep, maybe I/we are wrong, but it sure looks to be frustrating Brooks in particular, nearly as much as it is me. Got no problem with structure, quite happy to see it, but not inflexible.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 6:31 pm

Drinkwater was purchased as a half back up if something were to happen to Brooks...

He is more than a reggie,Brooks big reputation as a touted superstar and big paycheque is what's keeping Quadja out...he is as good as what Austin was,if not better...

Hopefully not,but if Brooks got injured like Tedesco did and was out for a long time,who would step up that has plenty of halfback experience...think about it people...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 6:59 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:As i said on another thread, JT has dramatically changed our style of play in both attack and defence!! Defence wins matches and was rightly the focus of pre season training considering our form last season.

JT wants to play a structured attacking game which is very different to what Brooks and Moses (and Teddy) have played most of their careers. They have been asked to curb their natural creativity to minimise risks/errors. And he is obviously asking them to use the bomb as the kick of choice for 90% of our sets. For young players learning at the highest level these are changes that take time to adjust to. 3 matches is nothing.

If they can learn to play both structured and ad lib they could be an extreme attacking force for a long time to come.
agreed, once our completions improve so will this strategy.

just take the ball closer to the line, then shape for a short ball or quick passes/cutouts. but we need to do that more that like twice a game which is what we're doing when were stuck in our half all game.
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 7:24 pm

I'm with AHX, Telltales and Balmain Boy.
I have no doubt that JT knows the natural playing styles of Brooks and Moses. Regardless he is teaching them to play to a structure, something they can rely on in a grind for good general percentage play. Brooks and Moses are working at learning that structure.
My take is, it is one way of teaching leadership on the paddock. Once they have the structure down, the leash will be off and they can play what they see at will. They can then return to the structure whenever they need it thus controlling the pace of the game. If I'm anywhere near right, it's a great plan and JT is a very good coach. The problem is it takes time.
Patience.
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 7:28 pm

By the way, I do like the look of Drinkwater but to drop either half in his favour at this stage of development would be a mistake in my book.
"Quality Stupidity"

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 7:43 pm

If anyone plays supercoach brooks scored -5 this week, and i just flicked him.

Chipofftheoldblock

Post by Chipofftheoldblock » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 7:49 pm

Brooks and Moses are a work in progress. They both will have good games, quiet games and bad games as they learn to control a game in the NRL. They are 20 years old and the expectation of them is huge from all directions.
They seem very level headed and have a good coach in Taylor to guide them through the challenges they will face. if I was to be critical it is they can go missing in games and float in and out but they will learn. It would be good for both to take on the line abit more just to put doubt in the defence but otherwise they are doing fine.
Remember, Ben Hunt took about 3 years in QLD cup from u/20's to become a dominant halfback. He was in and out of 1st grade trying to learn his craft until they gave him more than 2/3 games to prove his worth. Something you have to wait for good things to develop. Have faith.

Fumbles

Post by Fumbles » Tue 24 Mar, 2015 8:21 pm

TIGER wrote:If anyone plays supercoach brooks scored -5 this week, and i just flicked him.
Not sure how bad you actually have to play to get dropped but I don't think we can afford to be carrying Moses and Brooks for much longer.

Teams are now focussed on Farah and Tedesco because they know the other half of spine are not a threat. The Canterbury game should be their last chance. Drinkwater's form has been far superior to these two.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0