Kids Footy

User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Kids Footy

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 27 May, 2018 11:52 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 26 May, 2018 12:17 am
Boys almost knocked off the hot shot team and defending premiers tonight , got run down with about 4 minutes left according to the Mrs , led 14-12 and their half back got them home again 18-14

Actually their half back got all their points , 3 tries and 3 goals (tried to explain the some of the big boys to run at him and wear him out )

We might need to recruit this Ranga I've heard about out Penrith way ended up 3 tries each , goal kicking was the difference

Turns out what advice I give my boy is a waste of time , he got our MOTM tonight and his old man wasn't within cooee
Damn those half back smarty pants types!!

My under 9s champ is still out of action for a while after suffering a pretty severe sprain of his knee so he's not too happy. Looks like a month or so, bit we'll see. Think I might have to put training wheels on his scooter.

Shearers under 16s had a terrific win vs Runaway Bay on Friday night. Too big, strong and fast in the end after a tight first half. Young Doc played centre and had a stormer - particularly defensively which usually isn't his strong point. The Final scoreline of 38-18 was a pretty good indication of the game after the halftime score was 12 all. Looking forward to next week.


formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3885
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sun 27 May, 2018 1:28 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 4:31 pm
Yeah, it seems that not much thought went into how to get to the point that they wanted to get to.
Whats the number of teams in that age group like overall?
we play in a big Competion ,AND , we, along with some other clubs have big numbers of kids.
But the same problems exists to a certain extent,, but the numbers give the clubs a bit more options
Hope your kids enjoy the " Real field" experience, and pick up a few tries
We play in the Central Coast comp down here, which is very Anglo, so plenty of teams. Have only been around the club since late in the pre-season when my young bloke decided that he wanted to play league, but seems there is a good amount of disquiet around the reasons so many of our club's former players are now playing against us and not being able to form a side for some age groups.

Couldn't get another kid to backup, so we went in short and were well and truly outnumbered in the second game when they allowed the reserves of the other three teams on display to play as well. The crowd could quite clearly see that we were also the smallest and the ones that John West rejected and thus got behind us as underdogs, giving an NRL like ovation when my young bloke broke through and beat the cover for our long range and only try.

Funny that after we left the field and sang the team song, I then asked him about the crowd reaction and he said he did not hear a thing, only worried about not letting the others get him and then catching his breath. Once they got on the field it seemed that the only things on their mind were contained in the area bounded by the cones placed along the 10 and 40 metre lines.

They asked for four players from each team to lead the Chooks out, with ours first and one of our girls at the front with Cordner, who as a Easts fan was only there because one of the four best behaved chosen selflessly gave up the opportunity when I asked if any of them would. Then later, despite gushing at having led them out she had the hide to complain that I didn't choose Latrell Mitchell. The only one that was not going to be chosen was Tedesco. My boy was a bit angry at me not choosing him, as another boy caused him not being a candidate, but you can't play favourites.

All in all a good, though long day that will likely stay with them a lifetime, but am again limping around after again aggravating a groin injury that I have been recovering from for a month or so.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3885
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Sun 27 May, 2018 1:52 pm

Doc Tiger wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 11:44 am
formerguest wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 3:12 pm
Yeah GCT, there are many things that have to be considered and juggled by those that are trying to run junior competitions, with the vast majority of officials very generously giving up an incredible amount of their time as volunteers to keep them running. As such, I am generally loath to aim criticism their way, but the split at club level seemed to be catering to egos and was carried out in a manner that certainly justifies some.
I have no answers with regards to the lopsided abilities in show in juniors. I am however, strongly of the belief that big kids should not have to play up just because they're big. That's the games attraction. It's a combat sport and whilst we're talking kids, it's all relative in my opinion. A good coach - and I appreciate that not all teams have experienced coaches, can usually explain to kids the techniques to take on their bigger opponent. Still, that's not really what juniors is all about. But rather children running, learning and being part of a team that wins or loses and comes back to training because they want to be with their mates.
And when related back to my original post in the present discussion, that is the key to what occurred, they want to be with their mates. The good thing is that a couple of months in, our newbies our now becoming good mates.

As for the big kids, my first post in this thread is where I stand on the issue, in that the really big kids can often be put back in their place by their faster or skilled peers. That said, there certainly seem to be some taking advantage of rules that allow them to play in grades below their true age and they need to be addressed.

My son is far from the biggest, but tall and I am encouraging him to backup for our 9's in preparation for our return match against the giants that mauled us later in the year. For mine the refs have a duty to take size into consideration when enforcing rules, particularly for the younger ones. Took a tackling bag home from training a few weeks back and it has worked wonders with his confidence, helping turn him from an arm grabber into a reasonably aggressive all in defender that is getting ready to return serve to those he considers act bullies.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 27 May, 2018 4:56 pm

For the third week in a row we played Burleigh again, Burleigh White, I think it was this time, so that’s all the Burleigh teams that we should meet this year, the boys kept up the pressure and
Completed the hat trick against them.
It was a pretty good game but we pulled away in the second half and ran out Winners about 28-4
Once again the boys defence was what got them the win ,

Good to see that your young bloke had a good time on his big day,

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 03 Jun, 2018 6:34 pm

H/vale Div 1 u12s continued to to remain undefeated for the season. And continue to make it difficult for teams to get over their line with only two or three tries conceded for the season so far,

The defence (which has been strong all season ) was the best this year and their attack was right up there with it on Saturday,
The kids are really enjoying the season, and are learning more and more from their Coaches every week.,
It good to watch a team this young that can play for a purpose , and not just take run after run with no idea of how to set up the next play.


User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 7:26 pm

formerguest wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 1:52 pm
Doc Tiger wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 11:44 am
formerguest wrote:
Fri 25 May, 2018 3:12 pm
Yeah GCT, there are many things that have to be considered and juggled by those that are trying to run junior competitions, with the vast majority of officials very generously giving up an incredible amount of their time as volunteers to keep them running. As such, I am generally loath to aim criticism their way, but the split at club level seemed to be catering to egos and was carried out in a manner that certainly justifies some.
I have no answers with regards to the lopsided abilities in show in juniors. I am however, strongly of the belief that big kids should not have to play up just because they're big. That's the games attraction. It's a combat sport and whilst we're talking kids, it's all relative in my opinion. A good coach - and I appreciate that not all teams have experienced coaches, can usually explain to kids the techniques to take on their bigger opponent. Still, that's not really what juniors is all about. But rather children running, learning and being part of a team that wins or loses and comes back to training because they want to be with their mates.
And when related back to my original post in the present discussion, that is the key to what occurred, they want to be with their mates. The good thing is that a couple of months in, our newbies our now becoming good mates.

As for the big kids, my first post in this thread is where I stand on the issue, in that the really big kids can often be put back in their place by their faster or skilled peers. That said, there certainly seem to be some taking advantage of rules that allow them to play in grades below their true age and they need to be addressed.

My son is far from the biggest, but tall and I am encouraging him to backup for our 9's in preparation for our return match against the giants that mauled us later in the year. For mine the refs have a duty to take size into consideration when enforcing rules, particularly for the younger ones. Took a tackling bag home from training a few weeks back and it has worked wonders with his confidence, helping turn him from an arm grabber into a reasonably aggressive all in defender that is getting ready to return serve to those he considers act bullies.
Totally awesome. How good to see kids get the confidence to progress beyond the arm grabbing type tackle. Nice work.

User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 7:28 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 27 May, 2018 4:56 pm
For the third week in a row we played Burleigh again, Burleigh White, I think it was this time, so that’s all the Burleigh teams that we should meet this year, the boys kept up the pressure and
Completed the hat trick against them.
It was a pretty good game but we pulled away in the second half and ran out Winners about 28-4
Once again the boys defence was what got them the win ,

Good to see that your young bloke had a good time on his big day,
With burleigh being such a strong club, that's a terrific result. The boys should be proud.

User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 7:38 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Sun 03 Jun, 2018 6:34 pm
H/vale Div 1 u12s continued to to remain undefeated for the season. And continue to make it difficult for teams to get over their line with only two or three tries conceded for the season so far,

The defence (which has been strong all season ) was the best this year and their attack was right up there with it on Saturday,
The kids are really enjoying the season, and are learning more and more from their Coaches every week.,
It good to watch a team this young that can play for a purpose , and not just take run after run with no idea of how to set up the next play.
Sounds like you've got a good coach. Ain't it great once the kids start to really play?

Ormeau under 16s Div2 had a big win over your mob at helensvale last Friday night.

Our coach is an ex Vale coach and only moved across to our club this season - as did a few if his players. So it was a bit of a grudge match.

A half time score of 0-0 was indicative of the tightness of the game.

We overpowered the hornets in the second half though to end up winning 24-6.

A hard game with the scoreline blowing out a little more than was fair I think. Credit to both teams.

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:15 pm

I keep meaning to get down and see the Friday night kids play but haven’t had the chance to yet.
Some of those kids are good to watch
Sounds like a good win for your guys.

Yeah, the kids Coaches are pretty good , most of the kids have been together since they were u/7S .
A few of the boys have a busy day on Sat. At Brisbane
for the South Coast Rep 12s around 9am , then to Southport at around 12 for their normal game.
the young bloke was asked to play straight after that for the 13s but his dad thought that was a bit too much for for one day.
He’d play all day if he could wangle it.

He and some of his mates have a big three weeks coming up as they have Oztag and Touch Rep carnivals as well as the Qld RL carnival in about 3 weekends time, and on top of that their weekly League games on the Saturdays
At least we know where they are.
And they’re are loving every minute of it

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40188
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Thu 07 Jun, 2018 10:23 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
Thu 07 Jun, 2018 8:15 pm
I keep meaning to get down and see the Friday night kids play but haven’t had the chance to yet.
Some of those kids are good to watch
Sounds like a good win for your guys.

Yeah, the kids Coaches are pretty good , most of the kids have been together since they were u/7S .
A few of the boys have a busy day on Sat. At Brisbane
for the South Coast Rep 12s around 9am , then to Southport at around 12 for their normal game.
the young bloke was asked to play straight after that for the 13s but his dad thought that was a bit too much for for one day.
He’d play all day if he could wangle it.

He and some of his mates have a big three weeks coming up as they have Oztag and Touch Rep carnivals as well as the Qld RL carnival in about 3 weekends time, and on top of that their weekly League games on the Saturdays
At least we know where they are.
And they’re are loving every minute of it
Which Carnival GCT , having gone through the system all the big weekends are brilliant , Laurie Spina Cup is easily the best organized in Townsville 60 odd teams and also the Jason Hetherington Cup is well organized

If anyone is going to Jason Hetherington give me a PM if you'd like to catch up , I usually go for a wander

goldcoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sat 12 Apr, 2014 5:42 pm

Post by goldcoast tiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 8:37 am

It’s the Qld school boys carnival, we’re in South Coast area and I’m pretty sure it’s in Brisbane this year( which is good for us)
My G/son is in ,the 12s.
It’s the biggest school carnival for us, and it’s the stepping stone to the Qld school teams,
The young bloke and about 4 of his teammates are already in the Qld Club Touch team and in the Qld Tri Series for Oztag teams, so this time of the year are is pretty busy,
To top it all off his10 year old sisters Oz tag team won the Qld Cup last year and that’s coming up soon as well,
it’s hard to remember what carnival you’re at after awhile, but there’s be a time when the g/kids aren’t around so much so we do as much with them as we can while we can.
What ages is the Hetherington Carnival, is it a School based one , or Club?

patwalker
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 17 Apr, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by patwalker » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:38 am

I've got two boys playing this year, one in U8's is a tall lanky bugger who up until this year had never made a one on one tackle despite often being the biggest kid on the field, just not an aggressive kid. This year it all seems to have clicked for him and he just wants to snap kids in half! He isn't very quick but he usually takes 3-4 defenders to pull him down and he has arms about 4 feet long like his old man so he has become the offload king and all the other boys like to follow him up every run.
My little one is U6's and I coach his team. He is tiny compared to his brother but is like lightning and is only a half a step behind his big bro despite being 3 years younger. He likes to stir his brother that he has scored 8 tries in 3 games but his bro has only scored 3 in two and a bit seasons! I work a lot of night shift and really struggled with motivation last year, the oldest had a bit of a run where he didn't want to play because he thought he wasn't any good. Once he realised that half our tries are scored off of his offloads his attitude changed immensely, he spent the offseason doing weights (kind of) and running and is keen as hell this year, the little one loves it too. Certainly makes it easier to get out of bed early on a cold Saturday morning and drive an hour and a half to some games, or to stay up after night shift and do it!

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Posts: 3885
Joined: Fri 07 Jun, 2013 7:33 pm

Post by formerguest » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 10:29 am

Yeah guys, per Doc's remark above, it is awesome when any kid is able to take a big step in their development and particularly defensively. It is also a great game for youngsters, as a wide variety of shapes and sizes can use their very different natural attributes and skills.

Our teams have the week off as there are no games this weekend and my young bloke is really disappointed at not being able to train or play with his teammates.

User avatar
Doc Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2241
Joined: Sun 30 Mar, 2014 9:53 pm

Post by Doc Tiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 11:36 am

patwalker wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 9:38 am
I've got two boys playing this year, one in U8's is a tall lanky bugger who up until this year had never made a one on one tackle despite often being the biggest kid on the field, just not an aggressive kid. This year it all seems to have clicked for him and he just wants to snap kids in half! He isn't very quick but he usually takes 3-4 defenders to pull him down and he has arms about 4 feet long like his old man so he has become the offload king and all the other boys like to follow him up every run.
My little one is U6's and I coach his team. He is tiny compared to his brother but is like lightning and is only a half a step behind his big bro despite being 3 years younger. He likes to stir his brother that he has scored 8 tries in 3 games but his bro has only scored 3 in two and a bit seasons! I work a lot of night shift and really struggled with motivation last year, the oldest had a bit of a run where he didn't want to play because he thought he wasn't any good. Once he realised that half our tries are scored off of his offloads his attitude changed immensely, he spent the offseason doing weights (kind of) and running and is keen as hell this year, the little one loves it too. Certainly makes it easier to get out of bed early on a cold Saturday morning and drive an hour and a half to some games, or to stay up after night shift and do it!
Are we talking future stewart/trbojevic type bros?

patwalker
Member
Member
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu 17 Apr, 2014 4:01 pm

Post by patwalker » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 2:09 pm

Gee I hope so Doc! That'd be fantastic!!
I'll settle for two kids who love their footy and never get a major injury though!

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40188
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 5:06 pm

patwalker wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 2:09 pm
Gee I hope so Doc! That'd be fantastic!!
I'll settle for two kids who love their footy and never get a major injury though!
Yeah I'll second that Pat

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40188
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 7:26 pm

Boys played tonight had a good 40-18 win

Really played with some flash and led 30-0 at HT

It might be time for old Hap to admit it is time for glasses

Congratulated one of the boys for his two try double especially his 1st try

Turns out the 1st try was EB LOL , wondered why everyone was saying I must be happy with his game , his defence was good , but then again maybe it wasn't , who knows who the bloody hell I was watching

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 9830
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Fri 08 Jun, 2018 7:29 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 08 Jun, 2018 7:26 pm
Boys played tonight had a good 40-18 win

Really played with some flash and led 30-0 at HT

It might be time for old Hap to admit it is time for glasses

Congratulated one of the boys for his two try double especially his 1st try

Turns out the 1st try was EB LOL , wondered why everyone was saying I must be happy with his game , his defence was good , but then again maybe it wasn't , who knows who the bloody hell I was watching
How many toads did you step on ?
Being blind and all that :lol:
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Post Reply