Ray Warren

Tigermama

Re: Ray Warren

Post by Tigermama » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:37 pm

turnstyle wrote:
Tiger In The Gong wrote:How good was it that Ray Warren wasnt calling the game last night.
:lol: i thought the exact same thing at the start of the game, and actually did far prefer mat thompson. dont think i have heard him before, but thought he was really good.
how about The Nine Network televise games on the HD channel (GEM). its noticeably better on even a small (32inch) 1080p full HD panel.
thats interesting because here in perth it is on GEM. its HD, so no issue there for me; it is just 9s overall coverage i think is inferior to foxtels. apart from ray warren rambling about whatever crap and acting like an old woman, the foxtel commentators are much better and i find that 9 will do really annoying things like show someone on the bench or have a replay take up the screen when there is live stuff going on i want to see:

how did the ball get there?! oh, it must have been a quick tap from the penalty while we were looking at george burgess on the bench...or is it tom? :roll:

as for the Richie comparisons, to me it seems as though 9 is riding on the coat tails of his legacy and just keeping Warren around so they can have him as their "Richie of League" type character, but he just doesnt have the same distinguished persona Richie had that made him likeable.

one thing that i really cant stand about Ray Warren commenting is when the storm or qld is playing he just loves to call Smith "Cameron" as if he is his son in law or something.
It is annoying when we miss out on the footy action, TS. I hate it. :x And i agree that Fox sports covetage is soooooo much better.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:40 pm

krayola wrote:Not just Warren...the sooner the better that 90% of the dinosaur, old-school members of the league community are shown the door. They have too big a say. IMO they're a big reason the game hasn't progressed further - they are reluctant to let it be anything that doesn't include their history of the game; their bush club, their now defunct inner-city Sydney club, their Anglo names, their working-class, rough as guts memories. Rugby league is now too big and too slick to be held back by this but seems scared to leave it behind.

Instead of accepting change these dinosaurs prefer to muddy the waters and complain about things like refereeing and player loyalty in a sad attempt to seem relevant. However as often they have no real solution attached they only make the situations worse.

And as for the suits cluelessly running the game at NRL headquarters...let's not get started. All Greenberg needs to do is look at the NBA and he'll see an organisation that listens to the fanbase and has logical, consistent player laws. The NRL should be much, much, much bigger than it is.
By the sound of this, if the NRL cat had kittens , it would be the combined Commentators fault, Some of them are'nt that great( like Rabs at this stage) but 90%is a bit over the top, but there's some who have a great knowledge of the game.
Carefull how many you want canned, you don't know who would take over, could be a lot worse

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:49 pm

innsaneink wrote:He was rested for Origin on Wednesday night.
Plenty more comms I like better. Smith. Voss. The gut The other night was good.
Not many worse than rabs but Tim Gilbert just don't cut it...he's terrible
Yep , of any of the lightweights in sport, Tim Gilbert is the lightest of them all
Not sure why they use him at all.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 14 Jun, 2015 10:53 pm

turnstyle wrote:
Tiger In The Gong wrote:How good was it that Ray Warren wasnt calling the game last night.
:lol: i thought the exact same thing at the start of the game, and actually did far prefer mat thompson. dont think i have heard him before, but thought he was really good.
how about The Nine Network televise games on the HD channel (GEM). its noticeably better on even a small (32inch) 1080p full HD panel.
thats interesting because here in perth it is on GEM. its HD, so no issue there for me; it is just 9s overall coverage i think is inferior to foxtels. apart from ray warren rambling about whatever crap and acting like an old woman, the foxtel commentators are much better and i find that 9 will do really annoying things like show someone on the bench or have a replay take up the screen when there is live stuff going on i want to see:

how did the ball get there?! oh, it must have been a quick tap from the penalty while we were looking at george burgess on the bench...or is it tom? :roll:

as for the Richie comparisons, to me it seems as though 9 is riding on the coat tails of his legacy and just keeping Warren around so they can have him as their "Richie of League" type character, but he just doesnt have the same distinguished persona Richie had that made him likeable.

one thing that i really cant stand about Ray Warren commenting is when the storm or qld is playing he just loves to call Smith "Cameron" as if he is his son in law or something.
He does it all the time with Cronk and Inglis is Always "Greg "

Tiger In The Gong

Post by Tiger In The Gong » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 7:06 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:
turnstyle wrote:

He does it all the time with Cronk and Inglis is Always "Greg "

He does the same with every elite player.

The others he barely knows their last names.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 10:27 am

goldcoast tiger wrote:

that's a bit harsh.. there are millions of Smiths- he calls slater as billy but billy is more recognised than slater imo. on this subject though, i'd prefer if the refs call players by their jersey numbers too.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 10:44 am

tig_prmz wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

that's a bit harsh.. there are millions of Smiths- he calls slater as billy but billy is more recognised than slater imo. on this subject though, i'd prefer if the refs call players by their jersey numbers too.
Only one playing for the Storm.
I agree with using the numbers though, rather than trying to imply they're good mates.

Juro

Post by Juro » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 11:21 am

It was very refreshing to have a commentator actually calling the game with enthusiasm, like he enjoyed the game. Also good not to have a commentator trying to sidetrack things with the banter we always get when Warren calls the game with Gould.
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

turnstyle
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right. Yep. Brisbane.

Post by turnstyle » Mon 15 Jun, 2015 12:55 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:

that was actually me who wrote what you attributed to GCT. harsh or not - it annoys me.