Honest opinion...take it or leave it...

greatodensraven

Re: Honest opinion...take it or leave it...

Post by greatodensraven » Mon 18 Apr, 2016 2:59 pm

TrueTiger wrote:I watched the game yesterday and I thought ,for a team made up of youth,reserve graders and a some NRL experienced players,the team did well...A big congratulations to the debutants and Milones defense was credable ....while everyone bags some of these players that get picked in the NRL side,people got what they asked for...Storm had a very good side on the field yesterday including SOO and Aust rep players,the likes of seasoned professionals Bromwich bros,Proctor,Finnucane and the very talented Munster...and here we are venting in some threads how 5 losses in a row and its all over red rover..the Storm should of beaten us by the length of the Randwick straight,but didn't,we almost beat them..
So for my opinion,give credit to the team for performing very well against a top quality side coached by a quality coach,only to be beaten in the gp is a huge credit to them to get that far..things will improve if the quality players in our side played quality football,some aren't there yet,but should be..I will leave who they are to your own opinion...well done to JT for preparing the young debutants for their first appearance...
Well said mate!!

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Wed 20 Apr, 2016 9:38 pm

The Storm were woeful, they were asking to be beaten, they gave us more opportunities to win that game than we'll receive all year.
We should have won it, no excess, we were at home and we were nearly handed it on a platter but we don't have it in us to put a team away, we haven't had that ever imo.

Name one WT side which was able to put a team to bed once they got on top? None have, not even the 2005 side. We've always lacked that killer instinct.
I can name you plenty of Broncos teams that have though, so what is it?
Why can't we finish teams off when they're on the ropes or when they just keep on handing us opportunities?

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 2:27 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
TIGER wrote:The Storm were woeful, they were asking to be beaten, they gave us more opportunities to win that game than we'll receive all year.
We should have won it, no excess, we were at home and we were nearly handed it on a platter but we don't have it in us to put a team away, we haven't had that ever imo.

Name one WT side which was able to put a team to bed once they got on top? None have, not even the 2005 side. We've always lacked that killer instinct.
Why can't we finish teams off when they're on the ropes or when they just keep on handing us opportunities?
But Tiger, Broncos have the support and resources of a whole RL city, they built that city on rugby league. WT have had massive round ball invasion for decades plus an Asian Invasion in some areas that mostly don't follow any footie code but HSC scores. But admittingly some will give the pokies a damn good bashing so contribute more than myself.
Explain to me how that makes us unable to get on top in a game and finish a team off, We've always sucked at leading.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 4:30 am

A couple of observations.
It was clear to all that there were several dubious referee calls in the storm game. There was no need to spit and carry on about it because the whole rl world could see it for what it was. While nothing was said publicly I have little doubt that it was discussed behind the scenes and this may change the refereeing landscape in our favour over time. It also follows Taylor's stated direction of getting the team to toughen up.
Softly softly catchee monkey. In the face of adversity the team has to harden up and start playing as a team to prevail. WT is gradually becoming a team. When they get there, they will have the killer instinct you're looking for.
Good on you TT you are forever an optimist. I support Taylor and his methods. Hopefully he will be given the opportunity to complete the work in progress he has begun.
As for all those looking for instant gratification, I feel sorry for your girlfriends.
"Quality Stupidity"

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 9:02 am

NT Tiger wrote:A couple of observations.
It was clear to all that there were several dubious referee calls in the storm game. There was no need to spit and carry on about it because the whole rl world could see it for what it was. While nothing was said publicly I have little doubt that it was discussed behind the scenes and this may change the refereeing landscape in our favour over time. It also follows Taylor's stated direction of getting the team to toughen up.
Softly softly catchee monkey. In the face of adversity the team has to harden up and start playing as a team to prevail. WT is gradually becoming a team. When they get there, they will have the killer instinct you're looking for.
Good on you TT you are forever an optimist. I support Taylor and his methods. Hopefully he will be given the opportunity to complete the work in progress he has begun.
As for all those looking for instant gratification, I feel sorry for your girlfriends.
Is 18 months instant gratification? :lol:

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 9:57 am

cktiger wrote:
I love the instant gratification line. It's brilliant. That is what i call a troll.

We have to stick to the 25 year building plan to toughen up. At the point the players will be mentally able to play to their best on a consistent basis.

Of course they will also all be way too old and slow to actually compete in the NRL but that is beside the point.

You just have to believe.

Milky

Post by Milky » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 10:00 am

cktiger wrote:
Its been five years lol

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 11:08 am

Milky wrote:
cktiger wrote:
Its been five years lol

Five years of being handicapped by a salary cap situation created by another administration. Do people on this forum read other posts??? or do you just get on and write whatever comes into your head?

We were dudded last week, no doubt about it. As for being tough, we were beaten by 1 point!!

We toughed it out alright even with all the crap decisions. When we can get our salary cap back to normal, then we will see a big difference both in personnel and results.

Until then we will all have to be patient.

Pawsandclaws

Post by Pawsandclaws » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 11:40 am

Col, stop blaming the officials. Realise we had our chances and weren't good enough.

It's time for fresh ideas, a new approach as we have a very good group of young players and some experience. They deserve better.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 1:46 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Col, stop blaming the officials. Realise we had our chances and weren't good enough.

It's time for fresh ideas, a new approach as we have a very good group of young players and some experience. They deserve better.
The officials should shoulder part of the blame for the loss with inept refereeing....we do have a good group of young players,but the whole team is to blame for the loss as well,they couldnt capitalize on the opportunities that they were given....a sure sign of immaturity on the halves behalf,they are in the NRL and have been for a while now,but couldnt convert one of the field goal opportunities when in great position....pressure at the top level will do that to inexperienced playmakers...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 3:27 pm

cktiger wrote:
In the context of rebuilding the team over time, it is if you're looking for a win every week. Taylor and various team members have all said that rebuilding the team structure will take time and not to expect instant results (or words to that effect). Many have also said that they believe they are making progress.
"Quality Stupidity"

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 3:47 pm

stevetiger wrote:
cktiger wrote:
I love the instant gratification line. It's brilliant. That is what i call a troll.

We have to stick to the 25 year building plan to toughen up. At the point the players will be mentally able to play to their best on a consistent basis.

Of course they will also all be way too old and slow to actually compete in the NRL but that is beside the point.

I had to look up what a troll was because although I had heard of 'trolls' I didn't really know what one was. No I don't believe that was a troll because although, at least in this instance, it appears to have been inflammatory and did provoke an emotional response it was not posted with that as a deliberate objective. I apologise if you took it personally.
My statement was more a result of my emotional response to the posters (and I am not pointing a finger at any individual) on this forum, who devote hours to criticising the team as a whole, individual players, the coach, team selections, the stated long term rebuilding strategy and individual game tactics. And after basically laying (disguised swearing) on the WT at every available opportunity, they turn around and expect a win every weekend.
"Quality Stupidity"

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 4:05 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
stevetiger wrote:
cktiger wrote:

I had to look up what a troll was because although I had heard of 'trolls' I didn't really know what one was. No I don't believe that was a troll because although, at least in this instance, it appears to have been inflammatory and did provoke an emotional response it was not posted with that as a deliberate objective. I apologise if you took it personally.
My statement was more a result of my emotional response to the posters (and I am not pointing a finger at any individual) on this forum, who devote hours to criticising the team as a whole, individual players, the coach, team selections, the stated long term rebuilding strategy and individual game tactics. And after basically laying (disguised swearing) on the WT at every available opportunity, they turn around and expect a win every weekend.
Firstly - no problems. I definitely didn't take it personally.

Secondly - on the issue. I think that every single supporter would be happy with longer term success that was created from losing games right now. The thing is that it doesn't work like that. You need to try and win each game that you play.

I think we should have learnt by now that a 5 year plan that culminates in winning a premiership or whatever is akin to thinking that Harry Potter is real.

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Thu 21 Apr, 2016 4:43 pm

I have no doubt at all that the individuals that make up the WT team and the team as a whole go onto the paddock and try to win every game that they play. I can't name one individual that I believe has, in my view, deliberately tanked a game. But a team has to play as a team and team leaders have to consistently make high percentage tactical decisions. Our team is not doing that yet, but I believe they are getting better at it. I am prepared to be patient.
Harry Potter is very real and has made JK Rowling a wealthy woman.
"Quality Stupidity"

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 9:16 am

wd in perth wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
TIGER wrote:The Storm were woeful, they were asking to be beaten, they gave us more opportunities to win that game than we'll receive all year.

But Tiger, Broncos have the support and resources of a whole RL city, they built that city on rugby league. WT have had massive round ball invasion for decades plus an Asian Invasion in some areas that mostly don't follow any footie code but HSC scores. But admittingly some will give the pokies a damn good bashing so contribute more than myself.
Explain to me how that makes us unable to get on top in a game and finish a team off, We've always sucked at leading.
It was in the context that WT has been struggling since day 1 due to their demography, so we will struggle for sufficient funds for everything, contracts, training faciliites, TPA, coaches - so we should expect that these deficiencies will hinder our team, we can't afford many of the best, when at their best nor even keep our own-developed best. The associated deficient psychology that some of the outsiders bring in is that it could just be a job for them. Look how Robbie was on fire 5 years back - a Tigers bred with fire in his heart for his team.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 9:53 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
wd in perth wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

It was in the context that WT has been struggling since day 1 due to their demography, so we will struggle for sufficient funds for everything, contracts, training faciliites, TPA, coaches - so we should expect that these deficiencies will hinder our team, we can't afford many of the best, when at their best nor even keep our own-developed best. The associated deficient psychology that some of the outsiders bring in is that it could just be a job for them. Look how Robbie was on fire 5 years back - a Tigers bred with fire in his heart for his team.
You can look for all the excuses under the sun. Fact is, we suck at leading - Always have done. We've bread a culture of not really wanting to win. It's got nothing to do with where we're located,training facilities, soccer played nearby or (and I can't believe you typed this) an Asian invasion. If we're in front we should be able to stay there. Not meekly give up a winning lead over and over again.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 10:00 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:

lol

What the...? I'm Asian and got plenty of Asian friends who follow league...been following them for a long long time...Don't forget all our jersey's and merchandise are made by "Asians..."And i don't play pokies :brick: I digress...

willow

Post by willow » Fri 22 Apr, 2016 12:51 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:

lol

What the...? I'm Asian and got plenty of Asian friends who follow league...been following them for a long long time...Don't forget all our jersey's and merchandise are made by "Asians..."And i don't play pokies :brick: I digress...
The poster has been warned regarding this comment and if there are any further posts made in a similar vein, their time on this forum will come to an end.