Back row

DonnyBrasco

Back row

Post by DonnyBrasco » Mon 25 Apr, 2016 8:06 pm

Every time I watch us run around, I wonder will we ever be competitive with our current back row?

Canberras right edge is scarier than our players with their size and speed, is it any wonder we struggle to win...
Tigers for 2022!

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 4:20 pm

We've had alot of not winning tough games over the years .....we learned to finesse our way out of games and purely just outscore the opposition. This has almost been instilled into our culture and proving hard to eliminate it.
Potter tried then got a mass of injuries and was dumped now Taylor has tried and is close to destruction. All of this reverts back to one era and we all know who's rein that was.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 4:26 pm

we didnt lose on the edge, we lost in the middle third.

Lawrence and Sirro held their area. we got beat up around marker and one of the ruck, generally through lack of mobility.

Brooks made 2 terrible decisions on the line, both going for the intercept (potentially a soft option, I think more likely a high risk option), but mostly we got belted in the middle and beat on the shift outwide afterwards.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 4:28 pm

The whole team needs to Man Up and play for each other on Thursday

We can not win games based on individual performances
Was evident when Teddy was shut down on Sat, we had no other way of remotely scoring

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 4:49 pm

Love the WestsTigers wrote:The whole team needs to Man Up and play for each other on Thursday

Was evident when Teddy was shut down on Sat, we had no other way of remotely scoring
Your right outside Teddy our attack is nothing, but that is mainly due to the fact we have nothing going in the second phase department. None of our forwards have a offload or can ball play,so this makes us a easy side to defend. Also our six and seven really struggle for 5th tackle options,they either just hoist it up in the air or go for a miricales play.

As for our goal line defence,it is abysmal and has been for years,any team that have their big men running good lines hard and fast will have plenty of success. Plenty of people have been paid good money to fix our problems,but they never have much success and never last long

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 4:57 pm

supercoach wrote:
Love the WestsTigers wrote:The whole team needs to Man Up and play for each other on Thursday

Your right outside Teddy our attack is nothing, but that is mainly due to the fact we have nothing going in the second phase department. None of our forwards have a offload or can ball play,so this makes us a easy side to defend. Also our six and seven really struggle for 5th tackle options,they either just hoist it up in the air or go for a miricales play.

As for our goal line defence,it is abysmal and has been for years,any team that have their big men running good lines hard and fast will have plenty of success. Plenty of people have been paid good money to fix our problems,but they never have much success and never last long
I noticed that in the Panthers v Sharks game the other day. There were offloads galore and it made for a really entertaining game with heaps of broken play. Plenty of our backs would be dangerous in broken play and we have the halves to put the quick shift on as well...we just need to start generating some second phase.

There's always some risk with pushing for second phase but plenty of successful teams have relied on it in the past. The Broncos were masters of it for years, they just never let the ball die.

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 5:01 pm

Our back row stocks are pathetic for a team that apparently wanted to make the 8 this year.
Lawrence tries hard, but lacks the aggression and strength of the better backrowers - though to be fair he's learning the position to a degree. Sue drifts in and out of games, Sirro flatters to deceive, Lovett looks out of his depth, Aloiai is very green and on it goes.
The sad thing is at two of them are probably on big $$ (Lawrence & Sirro). It seems we're working on Lawrence's contract for the better, but we really need Sirro to either start playing at a much higher standard, or move him off to England.

Love the WestsTigers

Post by Love the WestsTigers » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 5:07 pm

I urge you guys to watch the reply and if possible multiple times
I did, paused it several times andi could see those same set of players in most plays
http://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2016 ... s_nrl.html

JJ
Curtis
Brooks
Milone
Lovett

These are a few that I saw most times either making the wrong decision, relying on someone else to make a tackle or being lazy and ineffective

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 5:12 pm

The use of our backrow has had me bewildered for years.

Blair sat out there when he first came to the club, but never got any ball. He used to sit out there wondering when he was going to get the ball with a dumb look on his face.

Bodene would hold a good line, but got the ball to shallow.

Liolaveve was 100% an edge runner [similar line to Ethan Lowe], so I couldnt understand why we kept him over the Funaki types who could play tight if we wernt going to use the edge runners.

Unless we get a coach who is prepared to completely change our structure, not alot is going to change.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

barra

Post by barra » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 5:21 pm

I was really disappointed with Sirro against the Raiders. It's the first time I've been able to see him live this year and it wasn't pretty.

He's okay when he has energy but without it (and he is way off being able to handle more than about 20 mins at a time) he lacks energy, speed goes to snail's pace, can't break the line in attack and has zero line speed in defence.

Lawrence is having a crack but having to help Milone on one side and a small half on the other is an impossible task and as has been mentioned Sue tends to drift in and out.

Yeah we are in trouble there.

stevetiger

Post by stevetiger » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 5:44 pm

I don't think Siro can play as an edge backrower at this point. Maybe he can but he isn't busting the line at all. He appears too slow and lacking any impact. He can hit in defence but he can also make poor decisions defensively.

I'd honestly keep him and I keep repeating myself on this point but maybe he has to go to prop or lock forward and play up the middle. If he stays as an edge backrower and doesn't kill it this year we need to get another player and move him on. I don't see any other option.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 26 Apr, 2016 6:35 pm

If we had forwards that could offload we would be a much more dangerous team in attack. Woods and Sirro used to do it. But it was coached out of them, for whatever reason
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...