Brooks

Tigerdon

Re: Brooks

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 25 May, 2016 7:44 am

I would still start one of the two ha led off the bench. A lot of people might say you shouldn't have a back on the bench, however all it means is we have an extra forward starting the game. Like we did in the trials and round 1.
Particularly this weekend , when it seems the only way to beat the Broncos is through the middle.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

yeti

Post by yeti » Wed 25 May, 2016 7:53 am

pHyR3 wrote:
Chevy wrote:What's frustrating with these two young halves is the amount of time they go missing,i recall when Alexander and Fitler were young, they were also critisized for going missing and both of them turned out alright,hoping the same happens with this pair.
and the other criticism is their defence is crap

bulldogs let JT go when he was around 19 or 20 because he was 'too small and couldnt defend.' turned out well for them :oops:
He still can't tackle though. His defence this last weekend was atrocious. Fortunately he plays with a team that can usually defend his deficiencies. The rest of his game is OK, though ;)

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 25 May, 2016 8:19 am

Brooks is capable of pulling off a big tackle ( he's capable of a miss as well).
in the Knights game , one of the big knights forwards was charging the line and Brooks hit him right in the breadbasket, one on one. It stopped a certain try.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Wed 25 May, 2016 11:51 am

I keep reading the same posts every week discussing the pros and cons of Brooks and Moses, and these are all well and good, but most keep overlooking the key point in the performance of any halves is always going to be how dominant their forward pack is in the game.
Those of you that have played in the halves know that unless you have forwards actually going forward, getting across the advantage line, winning the ruck and playing the ball quickly so that the opposition are backpeddling, you are often faced with a solid and prepared defence ready, willing and in a position to smash you every time you get the ball! To shine consistently you need good early service and that extra space and time a strong pack of forwards provides.
In this area the WT's are probably the weakest team in the comp and unless our forwards stand up and at least match the opposition, Brooks and Moses cannot be expected to work miracles. Behind a better pack with some good ball-runners they would be looking a damn sight better.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Wed 25 May, 2016 1:46 pm

TigerSJ wrote:I keep reading the same posts every week discussing the pros and cons of Brooks and Moses, and these are all well and good, but most keep overlooking the key point in the performance of any halves is always going to be how dominant their forward pack is in the game.
Those of you that have played in the halves know that unless you have forwards actually going forward, getting across the advantage line, winning the ruck and playing the ball quickly so that the opposition are backpeddling, you are often faced with a solid and prepared defence ready, willing and in a position to smash you every time you get the ball! To shine consistently you need good early service and that extra space and time a strong pack of forwards provides.
In this area the WT's are probably the weakest team in the comp and unless our forwards stand up and at least match the opposition, Brooks and Moses cannot be expected to work miracles. Behind a better pack with some good ball-runners they would be looking a damn sight better.
You can also argue very good halves also drive the forwards and for the forwards to dominate they need a good six and seven to direct them forward. I think it is pretty obvious that there inexperience is holding them back and as I said many times, if it was just one of them playing along side a seasoned campaigner they would have a much easier road to travel, but two kids in the spine is a massive gamble that is going to take at least another 12 months and by than all the cheque book clubs will be hovering

pHyR3

Post by pHyR3 » Wed 25 May, 2016 1:49 pm

yeti wrote:
pHyR3 wrote:
Chevy wrote:What's frustrating with these two young halves is the amount of time they go missing,i recall when Alexander and Fitler were young, they were also critisized for going missing and both of them turned out alright,hoping the same happens with this pair.
and the other criticism is their defence is crap

bulldogs let JT go when he was around 19 or 20 because he was 'too small and couldnt defend.' turned out well for them :oops:
He still can't tackle though. His defence this last weekend was atrocious. Fortunately he plays with a team that can usually defend his deficiencies. The rest of his game is OK, though ;)
On missed tackles:

Top is Maloney, then widdop, then brooks,then moses, then JT, then Ben Hunt. All bunched pretty close together.

But yes, you need some good second rowers around you to help. That's our biggest defficiency imo. Need a beau scott or similar. Would really turn our team around. ET is making good headway there - one more similar signing would do our halves a world of good
''Everybody talks about their four brothers, we have 17 here so we don't really care about them."

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 25 May, 2016 2:05 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
On missed tackles:

Top is Maloney, then widdop, then brooks,then moses, then JT, then Ben Hunt. All bunched pretty close together.

But yes, you need some good second rowers around you to help. That's our biggest defficiency imo. Need a beau scott or similar. Would really turn our team around. ET is making good headway there - one more similar signing would do our halves a world of good
Ben Hunt makes a lot more tackles than our halves though and a lot of his missed tackles would be on the first or second tackle when he's leading the kick chase or trying to slow momentum in the set. Those aren't bad missed tackles, they serve a purpose in applying pressure.

He put on a couple of great hits on big forwards last weekend where he targeted the ball and caused a turnover. He's a bloody good defender for a halfback.

TigerSJ

Post by TigerSJ » Wed 25 May, 2016 2:40 pm

supercoach wrote:
TigerSJ wrote:I keep reading the same posts every week discussing the pros and cons of Brooks and Moses, and these are all well and good, but most keep overlooking the key point in the performance of any halves is always going to be how dominant their forward pack is in the game.
You can also argue very good halves also drive the forwards and for the forwards to dominate they need a good six and seven to direct them forward. I think it is pretty obvious that there inexperience is holding them back and as I said many times, if it was just one of them playing along side a seasoned campaigner they would have a much easier road to travel, but two kids in the spine is a massive gamble that is going to take at least another 12 months and by than all the cheque book clubs will be hovering

Agreed Supercoach - there's no doubt that their inexperience hinders their ability to drive the forward pack and a seasoned half would certainly make a difference in that respect. The point remains that the Tiges just don't dominate the ruck and rarely get that type of roll-on that the opposition find hard to stop and that most decent halves in turn can take advantage of. Whilst its Brooks and Moses as the halves pairing we need to have quality forwards on the paddock - although who knows SC, we might just lose one of them and you'll get your wish!

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 25 May, 2016 3:06 pm

TigerSJ wrote:
supercoach wrote:

Agreed Supercoach - there's no doubt that their inexperience hinders their ability to drive the forward pack and a seasoned half would certainly make a difference in that respect. The point remains that the Tiges just don't dominate the ruck and rarely get that type of roll-on that the opposition find hard to stop and that most decent halves in turn can take advantage of. Whilst its Brooks and Moses as the halves pairing we need to have quality forwards on the paddock - although who knows SC, we might just lose one of them and you'll get your wish!
Totally agree with your original post "TigerSJ" in that you need a forward pack going forward and dominating the ruck. As you also said, quick play the balls to give thinking time and space to execute what the play makers have come up with. All of this does not happen at the Tigers very often, the quick play the balls, the quick service from dummy half is like winning the lotto, very rarely does it happen if at all.

"supercoach" in answer to your post suggested that these two young guys should be driving the forwards forward i.e. a SOO front row in Grant, Farah and Woods plus 3 International players in the back row in Taylor, Lawrence and Sue plus a couple of younger guys. I think they should have enough nous to be able to go forward and dominate the opposition themselves. Maybe get up them if they slaken off but to expect them to have to drive them from the outset is a bit rough.

Yes, it is going to take time (it has so far, and I can see improvement to date) - we all knew that, especially with a 6 and a 7. Why is everyone suddenly surprised? I am sure once they start to be consistent the cheque books will come out - we knew that as well.

The only question is - Do we want them or not? ..... I say yes please!

stryker

Post by stryker » Wed 25 May, 2016 6:46 pm

I say no. Sack them both and buy footballers instead of pretty boys who only play the game to pick up chicks.