Grinding out a win

ricksen

Re: Grinding out a win

Post by ricksen » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 8:55 pm

A few things -
* the eels drag teams into a slog/grind. They may be undermanned but they're a very tough and brittle unit, and are no pushovers.
* we were basically playing with no half for 60 odd mins after Brooks went down, and a good portion of that time with no hooker, with Halatau off the field.
* the attitude of the squad is unreal and the best it's been in recent memory. The #winasone stuff is clearly a lot more than empty rhetoric.
* we need a proper hooker in the team moving forward. Even if it's Cherrington off the bench, we need someone there to split time with Halatau. Rankin's service was consistently terrible, and it puts the entire attack out of whack with the changes around the left hand side.
* we've left a lot of points on the table in recent weeks, I doubt we'll be able to do that and win over the next month.

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 9:56 pm

I've got 2 things to say about our win this week...

1. I've been a Tigers fan for nearly 30 years and I get quite sad that even after a win we come on "our" forum and instead of celebrating a win so many fans still want to bag our club, we are equal 8th, I know I would have taken that at the start of the year! And before people start talking about accepting mediocrity let's put our past couple of seasons into perspective, we are in a good position and will only get better in the coming years.

2. People are talking about an Eels team missing Foran, Jennings etc and that we shouldn't get carried away beating them under strength, last time I heard they lost most of their points due to rorting the cap!! At full strength they are an illegitimate team in our competition so in actual fact we probably only beat a team on the same level as us, let's just enjoy the win.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Sun 31 Jul, 2016 10:19 pm

beachtiger wrote:I've got 2 things to say about our win this week...

1. I've been a Tigers fan for nearly 30 years and I get quite sad that even after a win we come on "our" forum and instead of celebrating a win so many fans still want to bag our club, we are equal 8th, I know I would have taken that at the start of the year! And before people start talking about accepting mediocrity let's put our past couple of seasons into perspective, we are in a good position and will only get better in the coming years.

2. People are talking about an Eels team missing Foran, Jennings etc and that we shouldn't get carried away beating them under strength, last time I heard they lost most of their points due to rorting the cap!! At full strength they are an illegitimate team in our competition so in actual fact we probably only beat a team on the same level as us, let's just enjoy the win.
Yeah you're right, there should be more positivity after any win because few have come easily in recent years. I think it's great that I actually expected us to win the last two games rather than just thinking that we should win them on paper.

The Parra team was severely depleted though - Foran, Norman, Semi, Jennings, Peats, Beau Scott, Manu Ma'u and Junior Paulo all gone/out...plus Ryan Morgan...Still 17 blokes took to the field looking to beat us and we took the points. Gotta be happy with that.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 3:37 am

It was a 23-8 win over an NRL side. I will be happy with that any week of any year, I don't care who the opposition is.

Sure we have plenty of room for improvement, but whilst not being a great display of dynamic football, it was a fairly smart and low-error game.

I find it amazing how a significant number of people are unimpressed with the manner of the win, as if you have to blow away undermanned sides for a win to be a good one.

Having seen WT lose to teams like Baby Broncos and Newcastle several times, I am totally happy that we never really looked that troubled against Parra - that makes two weeks in a row where despite not playing great we were fairly dominant over 80.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 5:35 am

Its a good sign where you can play not to your best yet still win
Great to be still alive and in the mix at the end of the season, other clubs are done for the year.
The bigger picture is looking exciting if this gradual improvement continues

beachtiger

Post by beachtiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 11:56 am

Nelson wrote:
beachtiger wrote:I've got 2 things to say about our win this week...

Yeah you're right, there should be more positivity after any win because few have come easily in recent years. I think it's great that I actually expected us to win the last two games rather than just thinking that we should win them on paper.

The Parra team was severely depleted though - Foran, Norman, Semi, Jennings, Peats, Beau Scott, Manu Ma'u and Junior Paulo all gone/out...plus Ryan Morgan...Still 17 blokes took to the field looking to beat us and we took the points. Gotta be happy with that.
Can't disagree with you about Parra being severely depleted, suppose I'm just stoked for our boys to get the 2 points no matter who we play, this week will be the best indication yet where we really stand in this competition.

rex2ce

Post by rex2ce » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 12:23 pm

In round 1 Parra beat us 8-0 with most of their first choice players on the park, so I see this weeks result as a fair indication of the improvement in WT

Born tiger

Post by Born tiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 12:41 pm

If someone said to me two weeks we will have 2 13 plus wins in a row i would have taken it..

A win is a win.

2 wins in a row, 13 and 15 - Top Wins

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 1:19 pm

Born tiger wrote:If someone said to me two weeks we will have 2 13 plus wins in a row i would have taken it..

A win is a win.

We've shaven nearly 30 points off our negative points diff the last 2 weeks. Still not good enough for some.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 1:46 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Born tiger wrote:If someone said to me two weeks we will have 2 13 plus wins in a row i would have taken it..

A win is a win.

We've shaven nearly 30 points off our negative points diff the last 2 weeks. Still not good enough for some.
We'd be in 8th spot if we didn't phone it in against Canberra.
And she's turning cold, at fifteen years old,
Taken too much slow, minds gone out to sea on the P&O,
Don't know what to do, rotten shade of blue,
Another case of "stupid is as stupid does..."

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

barra

Post by barra » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 2:02 pm

southerntiger wrote:
bathursttiger wrote:I still can't see why the Tigers had those 2 penalty kick when Parra were out on their feet.
I would have gone for the try on both of them. But I suspect that also if we had gone for them and not come up trumps it may have had a negative impact for us.
Woods was asked this on the weekend, and his reply was along the lines of needing to get the players to calm down. He said they start getting pretty excited when on an extended roll, rush plays etc. So the conversion lets them settle down and get back to the plan.

Interesting.

I listened to the game on radio and at one stage the commentators were saying we blew tries because we were rushing too much and actually trying to do things even quicker than the situation demanded. Rankin's terrible pass over the sideline was the example.

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 3:21 pm

barra wrote:
southerntiger wrote:
bathursttiger wrote:I still can't see why the Tigers had those 2 penalty kick when Parra were out on their feet.
I would have gone for the try on both of them. But I suspect that also if we had gone for them and not come up trumps it may have had a negative impact for us.
Woods was asked this on the weekend, and his reply was along the lines of needing to get the players to calm down. He said they start getting pretty excited when on an extended roll, rush plays etc. So the conversion lets them settle down and get back to the plan.

Interesting.

I listened to the game on radio and at one stage the commentators were saying we blew tries because we were rushing too much and actually trying to do things even quicker than the situation demanded. Rankin's terrible pass over the sideline was the example.
Thanks Barra,
we don't get as much news out here as you guys in Sydney.

barra

Post by barra » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 3:26 pm

bathursttiger wrote:
barra wrote:
southerntiger wrote:

Interesting.

Thanks Barra,
we don't get as much news out here as you guys in Sydney.
I'm sth coast mate - but was lucky enough to be near the TV when it aired!

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 01 Aug, 2016 6:04 pm

barra wrote:
southerntiger wrote:

Interesting.

Yeah, thanks for that info. I wrote the OP because of the talk and body language when the penalty shots were being lined up, Whilst I was originally thinking that they should have been putting the pedal down with a quick tap and although Brooks also got time for attention, after watching the the players I soon formed the opinion that they were prepared to take what was on offer and tough it out together.

For me it was a very welcome suprise and a good sign of maturity, particularly on top of our massively improved scramble and kick chase of late. Geez, they even dive on a loose ball nowadays.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Sun 07 Aug, 2016 5:45 pm

formerguest wrote:I was really impressed with the way we approached the game tonight. You could see the resolve on their faces when we were taking the two points on offer a few times, as it showed they were ready to dig deep and grind out a tough win.

Josh Aloiai has raised the bar a lot higher over the last couple of matches.
Ditto! Another week, another great effort.

Our wingers, make that wingers/dummy half were awesome this evening. Grant and Sue were just as good in the middle.