Leichhardt Oval

Cultured Bogan

Re: Leichhardt Oval

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:42 am

I don't know. But I know the Maggies have a rich history there and it was well out of use by the time I graced this green Earth.

Just looked at the Wikipedia page, apparently it's biggest crowd was 21K back in 1978 against Parra. It's facilities are pretty aged apparently. Some of the older fellas amongst us might be able to clarify.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

stevied

Post by stevied » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:57 am

I hope so. I like history and I like restoration!

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 11:37 am

I'd like them to have a game there, it would be good to attend and get a taste of history.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 12:09 pm

A trial game there would be a money maker.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 12:51 pm

stevied wrote:Is it still being used and is it in reasonable shape??
Still being used but not in great shape... Hasn't changed for decades really

A trial game would be doable, not an NRL game

LO has a long rich history which contributes greatly to the atmosphere... We need to be careful with decisions in the future because once you go I don't think there's a going back... Forever is a. Long time

Rugby league needs to protect, promote and nurture it's hustory

Knuckles

Post by Knuckles » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 1:03 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:I don't know. But I know the Maggies have a rich history there and it was well out of use by the time I graced this green Earth.

Just looked at the Wikipedia page, apparently it's biggest crowd was 21K back in 1978 against Parra. It's facilities are pretty aged apparently. Some of the older fellas amongst us might be able to clarify.
They allowed the kids to sit on the bike track that day. Remember my dad lifting me over the fence to sit with the other kids ... It was a great day and a great era .... But times have moved on now.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 1:11 pm

I think we have an okay mix of home ground allocations.

Assuming ANZ/Homebush will not pay us to play more than the current allotment of games there each year, then splitting the remainder evenly between LO & CSS is the only realistic option.

Its not ideal financially, but its an equitable decision that satisfies as many factors as possible.

batboy

Post by batboy » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 1:15 pm

I love the SWS "Boom" quotes....

- Working directly in that area and dealing with the people populating this area, I can promise you the last thing on the majority of their minds is Rugby League....

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 1:22 pm

Were competing not only with other NRL clubs, but soccer, union and AFL. All these clubs use modern venues.
How are going to compete for new fans and sponsors with sub standard facilities?
Its 2016.

Cosimo_Zaretti

Post by Cosimo_Zaretti » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 10:58 pm

Yossarian wrote:What? Why would anyone want to tamper with the Glenn Morrison toilet block? Think of the heritage! Some of those smells are decades old.
We can build a bigger, better toilet block and name it after Gordon Tallis.

Ooh that hot dog's not sitting well. I'm going to have to get Gordon's views on the subject.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 6:53 pm

I flew down from the sunshine coast and met up with a mate who also lives on the coast but is working in Sydney. He's a Broncos supporter and he's never been to any other venue, he has a soft spot for the Tigers and has always wanted to go to a game at Leichhardt, Ive been telling him for years about how the atmosphere at Leichhardt with only 12,000 is better than Suncorp with 40,000. After Sunday I think he finally understands, I think he'll remember his first Leichhardt experience forever it was a pretty special one.
When I say this I absolutely mean it, there's nowhere else I'd rather be in the world.
Leave it as it is with all of it's charm I say, I love the place.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 7:07 pm

so looking forward to the next LO game. I went with my two brother and 8 month old nephew , there was so much cheering his little eyes were popping out of his head, he loved in and fell asleep in a newly purchased WTs scarf . I hope it is still an NRL in 20 years so he can go back there and tell his mates..."I've been coming here before I was one."
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 7:07 pm

stevied wrote:Is it still being used and is it in reasonable shape??
Its in great shape - used regularly by Auburn in RMC - Wests Magpies had a return to Lidcombe day a few weeks ago that was very successful.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 10 Aug, 2016 7:10 pm

stevied wrote:Ok, a couple of unusual admissions here. Firstly, I grew up in Avalon on the Northern Beaches ( I hear you - bloody silvertail!) but I never liked the local, glamor team,who raped and pillaged the poorer clubs, and always supported the earthy, heritage rich Tigers. This liking became love as players such as Wayne Pringle, Larry Corrowa, Olsen Fillipaina, Wayne Pearce, Ellery Hanley and Garry Jack came to the fore. I'm going to ruffle a few Magpie feathers here but Leichhardt Oval is the heart and soul of the old Balmain Tigers. But besides being a link to the glory days of the past, it's actually a truly atmospheric, exciting venue to watch Rugby League. Ok, second admission, I'm living in Peru and I'm forced to stay in touch via live streaming on my notebook. I watched Wests triumph over the Cows and I was filled with equal pride and nostalgia as the Tigers played brilliant football at a wonderful venue, one that I'd visited many times. I can't argue with those who say it's facilities are substandard (I've put up with the sewer like conditions of the men's toilets for years) but, as a staunch Wests Tigers fan I'll be praying that the mooted improvements come through so that we can see at least three games a year at our spiritual home. By the way, what happened or what is happening at Lidcombe Oval, the Magpies' spiritual home?
How is that going to ruffle any feathers - its true. Its just not the heart and soul nor spiritual ground of the Wests Tigers.

stevied

Post by stevied » Thu 11 Aug, 2016 10:39 am

Agreed but it would be nice to settle on one for the Wests Tigers and, hopefully, it turns out to be a modern, state of the art facility at Concord.

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Thu 11 Aug, 2016 1:46 pm

Knuckles wrote:
Cultured Bogan wrote:I don't know. But I know the Maggies have a rich history there and it was well out of use by the time I graced this green Earth.

They allowed the kids to sit on the bike track that day. Remember my dad lifting me over the fence to sit with the other kids ... It was a great day and a great era .... But times have moved on now.
Ah, sitting on the old bike track. We used to have the marching band at half time, with formation marching and a baton twirler. And, we used to have what seemed like, to a young kid, the tallest uprights on any goal posts anywhere in the world. There is a great page noelkellyskids.info (http://www.noelkellyskids.info/case_of_ ... goal_posts) that has lots of the magpies history documented.

We used to sit on the same spot on the north eastern corner of the hill, right by the Dorahy's, up past the second light tower. Father Maurice Sullivan, from St Vincent's at Ashfield, was usually standing behind (my mum would dig her fingers into my dad's side, "don't swear, Bill, Mori is just behind us. lol)

I remember that they would announce the post match function was being held at the Lidcombe Dancers Club, which was a kind of de-facto leagues club for us on game days as Ashfield was too far away for anyone to bother going back to. We did have plans to build a club house just by Lidcombe Oval but it never happened (lack of council approval?).

After the Amco Cup final victory in 1977, with Keith (yappy) Holman as coach, we had some run-in with the local council and moved our last 4 or 5 home games back to Pratten Park at Ashfield. We also played a few games there is 1985, and in the early 70s.

We were only at Lidcombe Oval for 20 years, from 1967-68 to 1986. Pratten Park at Ashfield is where we spent the majority of our time. However, our very first years were spent at St Lukes (aka Concord Oval), the site of our current training facilities.

My favourite match at Lidcombe was Wests v Souths in 1976. It was a ripper https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfdXzmCFsTI
Last edited by prattenpark on Thu 11 Aug, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marzie

Post by marzie » Thu 11 Aug, 2016 2:10 pm

I wish money wasn't a factor and we could just play half of our games at Campbelltown and half at Leichhardt. I enjoy going to both equally.

The atmosphere sucks at ANZ, never a great experience.

Spook

Post by Spook » Thu 11 Aug, 2016 5:07 pm

Lidcombe Oval looks exactly the same as it did in the early 60's when pre-season games for the Craven Mild cup were played there. It was one of the few grounds that was floodlit. I enjoyed watching games there and thought the lights were good until Leichhardt was redeveloped for the Amco Cup with lights suitable for TV broadcast.