Naiqama and Simona

stevied

Re: Naiqama and Simona

Post by stevied » Sun 04 Sep, 2016 11:55 pm

I am a Simona fan and he suffers a little from a lack of opportunities on his side of the ruck. He is also a generally solid defender but today he was very disappointing. The flick pass was ridiculous and irresponsible for such an experienced player while his jumper grab on Rapana which led to the try was also poor. Not his best game. However, I think it's unfair to pin the thrashing on these two because, although, they are flawed, there were many underachievers yesterday, the worst culprit being Moses.

Tigertigertiger

Post by Tigertigertiger » Mon 05 Sep, 2016 11:44 pm

I'm not a fan of stupid passes inside your own 20 or running out of the line

Both our centres are woeful in defence

InBenjiWeTrust

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 12:03 am

stevied wrote:I am a Simona fan and he suffers a little from a lack of opportunities on his side of the ruck. He is also a generally solid defender but today he was very disappointing. The flick pass was ridiculous and irresponsible for such an experienced player while his jumper grab on Rapana which led to the try was also poor. Not his best game. However, I think it's unfair to pin the thrashing on these two because, although, they are flawed, there were many underachievers yesterday, the worst culprit being Moses.
Simona is too good player to be wasted on the wing.
He is very good defensive player, and rarely misses tackles, some pople have a very short memory :crazy
For some reason, especialy now when we don't have Tedesco, we don't attack and don't create space on the left side.

Naiqama is very good in attack, but his reading of the game and positioning are not the best.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 6:36 am

king sirro wrote:
everett wrote:Do we have replacements for them in 2017?
Thats the question isnt it. We need to look outside the square a little and take a risk. Move Simona to left wing and say "just get the ball and run u dope". Get our strength and conditionng team to have a look at Idris to see what sort of shape he is in. Maybe look at Tyrone Peachey, he's going surprisingly good at Centre. Watson Heleta would go well at left centre and has earnt a crack with a great year playing out of position in state cup. Where does Dean Whare fit in at Penrith?? He would be great.

There are some options. Im sick of having a small backline.
Agree 100% we need to look outside the square for a solution here while ensuring both our centres are bigger to help out our Halves in Defence.

Tautau Moga is a beast these days and I reckon we could get him cheap.

Then their is Carlin Anderson. He is a strong running type and is a handy defender.

But I reckon we need to give Heleta first crack inside Simona. He has earnt the right!

Want to see a risk? Ryan Papenhuyzen! Bring up the kid who is touted as the next superstar like Panthers did with Cleary and give him 2 years to make the position his own. I doubt this will solve our defensive problems, but I dont think we would be any worse off.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 7:35 am

Our hands are tied with our cap being in such a mess so we have to look within for solutions, so like others I would be looking at fitting Heleta into the mix. I certainly think we need some height strength on the wing and at least one really hard defensive centre not to mention some size power in the back row. Cant see it happening in 2017, but you have to have a wish list

nipper652

Post by nipper652 » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 1:57 pm

Tiger Watto wrote:
king sirro wrote:
everett wrote:Do we have replacements for them in 2017?
Thats the question isnt it. We need to look outside the square a little and take a risk. Move Simona to left wing and say "just get the ball and run u dope". Get our strength and conditionng team to have a look at Idris to see what sort of shape he is in. Maybe look at Tyrone Peachey, he's going surprisingly good at Centre. Watson Heleta would go well at left centre and has earnt a crack with a great year playing out of position in state cup. Where does Dean Whare fit in at Penrith?? He would be great.

There are some options. Im sick of having a small backline.
Agree 100% we need to look outside the square for a solution here while ensuring both our centres are bigger to help out our Halves in Defence.

Tautau Moga is a beast these days and I reckon we could get him cheap.

Then their is Carlin Anderson. He is a strong running type and is a handy defender.

But I reckon we need to give Heleta first crack inside Simona. He has earnt the right!

Want to see a risk? Ryan Papenhuyzen! Bring up the kid who is touted as the next superstar like Panthers did with Cleary and give him 2 years to make the position his own. I doubt this will solve our defensive problems, but I dont think we would be any worse off.
Not sure bringing Papenhuyzen in so early is a good move, he would at least need some time in NSW Cup prior to debuting in NRL. This kid is still at school and really needs to put another 10-15 Kg's at least. Let's see how he progresses with a big off season under his belt before putting any unwanted pressure on him

HarryHaller

Post by HarryHaller » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 2:10 pm

Dean Whare would be the perfect replacement for Naiqama. Excellent defensive centre with definite attacking ability. Panthers would be happy to have him off their books.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 3:41 pm

If England came calling for either one i certainly wouldn't say no. Neither have yet shown they're capable of being a quality NRL player. I said a few weeks ago this has by far been Simona's worst season in first grade. Horrific stats. And now added brain snaps. He's not reliable in attack or defence anymore. Given he's probably on around $400k he's well on overs, and hasn't kicked on at all.

Naiqama is worse. You can't build a team to challenge for the premiership with players like him in it. Can't read defence, puts his teammates in all sorts of danger. Super hot and cold. Not big or fast enough to compensate like a Jennings can. There are others that can also create similar attack to him so again if we can move on without paying for him then fine. At least he's not on much coin

Chee Kam would be a better option and has a top tier contract next year. Heleta could be worth a shot if he gets a top tier contract too. Don't think Marsters has the agility to play out wide.

Sabre

Post by Sabre » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 4:20 pm

Harvey wrote:Bite the bullet and train MCK as a centre only in the offseason, look for a winger with som toe to play outside him
I would like this. Naiqama's defence is too much of a liability imo.

1. James Tedesco
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Tim Simona
4. Michael Chee-Kam
5. David Mead

BalmainBoysNeverCry

Post by BalmainBoysNeverCry » Tue 06 Sep, 2016 5:21 pm

If everyone is looking for size how about Obed Karwhin, more of a winger than centre but he can become a strong ball runner off kicks.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 07 Sep, 2016 9:11 pm

HarryHaller wrote:Dean Whare would be the perfect replacement for Naiqama. Excellent defensive centre with definite attacking ability. Panthers would be happy to have him off their books.
I have a lot of time for Whare, if that was possible.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 07 Sep, 2016 10:13 pm

jirskyr wrote:
HarryHaller wrote:Dean Whare would be the perfect replacement for Naiqama. Excellent defensive centre with definite attacking ability. Panthers would be happy to have him off their books.
I have a lot of time for Whare, if that was possible.
I'm not sure he'd be any more of a reliable signing than Ballin was given his injury history, but he would be great if fit and Penrith's backline is definitely overstocked.

WTDiehard

Post by WTDiehard » Thu 08 Sep, 2016 9:22 am

Both Simona & Naiq would make very good wingers.

So who can we use as centres.....Nofo??? CheKam ???

Parra use Takarangi at centre who was a 2nd rower come centre.....Chekam fits the bill if he can add pace ??? Would not surprise to see Whare become avail from the Panthers.....There are always a few guys avail looking for a 1st grade shot.

Need some astute buying during the off season.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 08 Sep, 2016 10:45 am

WTDiehard wrote:Both Simona & Naiq would make very good wingers.

So who can we use as centres.....Nofo??? CheKam ???

Parra use Takarangi at centre who was a 2nd rower come centre.....Chekam fits the bill if he can add pace ??? Would not surprise to see Whare become avail from the Panthers.....There are always a few guys avail looking for a 1st grade shot.

Need some astute buying during the off season.
You obviously have forgotten the several time when naiqama was truly awful on the wings. He dropped more bombs than Nofa does! #SayNoToMidgetWingers

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Thu 08 Sep, 2016 12:21 pm

Harvey wrote:Bite the bullet and train MCK as a centre only in the offseason, look for a winger with som toe to play outside him
AND can kick goals :pray:

Russell

Post by Russell » Thu 08 Sep, 2016 5:52 pm

Whare is the go for mine if he becomes available and if we could afford him. He is quite quick and reasonably strong for his size. A good defender and is very astute at reading the play. Not sure how the injuries are coming on but he is worth the risk. Kev is not a winger so would have to be dropped unfortunately - hopefully to work on his "reading of the play" deficiency.

I have watched Kharwin play a few games and he literally did nothing for those whole games. If it was up to me, I would release him not promote him.

Think the goal kickers will improve dramatically for 2017. Who to target for the other wing position is a real problem - I'm sure there will be a few reasonably quick ones that are good under the high ball that will be available - hope so anyway.

It is all pie in the sky when you don't know how much we have to spend - presume not much.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 08 Sep, 2016 6:00 pm

Russell wrote:Whare is the go for mine if he becomes available and if we could afford him. He is quite quick and reasonably strong for his size. A good defender and is very astute at reading the play. Not sure how the injuries are coming on but he is worth the risk. Kev is not a winger so would have to be dropped unfortunately - hopefully to work on his "reading of the play" deficiency.

I have watched Kharwin play a few games and he literally did nothing for those whole games. If it was up to me, I would release him not promote him.

Think the goal kickers will improve dramatically for 2017. Who to target for the other wing position is a real problem - I'm sure there will be a few reasonably quick ones that are good under the high ball that will be available - hope so anyway.

It is all pie in the sky when you don't know how much we have to spend - presume not much.
On the injury front, i think Whare's played about 5 games in the past 2-3 seasons, so not looking good there...

Would be a massive risk and not one we can afford to take.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 08 Sep, 2016 6:08 pm

Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..