Wests Tigers squad v Cowboys**LIVE THREAD

Off-season, Pre-Season and Round Archive
eyewonder

Re: Wests Tigers squad v Cowboys**LIVE THREAD

Post by eyewonder » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 6:56 am

you have to admire tedesco.
his last game ended with a crook jaw,
lets hope his jaw isnt targetted by opposition teams. throughout the year.
id imagine it would be easy to hit as part of a tackle.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 7:29 am

in Ivan we distrust

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 8:20 am

Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

ricksen

Post by ricksen » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 12:38 pm

Only managed to see a few mins of the trial, which unfortunately included that really poor try we conceded just before half time.
On that basis and that basis alone, I predict we'll get the spoon.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 5:44 pm

We looked to have been working on attacking kicks, I saw some good bat backs off bombs on their tryline, usually we suck at this
Our kicking in general play was good as well....we just looked cool, calm and composed...large possesion our way helped I guess...pretty good display and will fill the lads with confidence heading into rd 1

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 18 Feb, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm still concerned that Woods is getting his hands on the ball far too much in the red zone

Thoughts all ??

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 3:47 pm

So a few days on, what did everyone think of the performance?

I thought we were pretty good, not that Cowboys played a great brand of footy but I thought we were the better side overall, just lacking that last bit of execution, but to be expected when you are chopping and changing backup halves.

I think WT always has a game to trouble Cowboys, and it was evident to me again.

I thought Woods was huge, even better in his second stint and finished all over the top of Matt Scott who really failed to make much impact as the game wore on. Ava was dogged per usual and MM did a pretty good job out of hooker, really couldn't have asked much more of the third-stringer.

Lawrence ran hard and as usual took some nice hole-running options, got smashed once or twice for his trouble because not all the distribution to him was good (similar to Brooks). I do wonder, as others, season-long how Lawrence will stand up to putting his body on the line like that every match.

ET was also good, I don't know if I'm as totally enamoured with his game in the halves as some people were. What I like is he ran hard and decisively when he thought it was on, and got rid of it when he was distributing. Definitely will be helpful in moving the ball around and occasionally taking a bit of heat off the halves.

I thought Aloiai was a little slow to start then exploded into the match around the time he scored. He looks bigger than last year, getting to be more like a prop's mold.

MCK did alright, I think he has a lot to offer the team in forwards and backs. I'd be inclined to start with him Rd 1 then bring Idris on.

Nofo was energetic on kicks and kick returns, though he's going to struggle with defensive high balls all year (though he's quite good with attacking high balls, how come the difference?)

Idris did ok, he's going to take a while to get his minutes up and he is definitely a liability on a quick shift to the open side - i.e. be prepared for a few moments of him being run around a la Kyle Lovett. But his carries were strong and I think he's a genuine threat close to the line - I can see him getting isolated 1-1 on an opposition halfback and for that alone he's going to create more space for the halves because the defending centre and backrower are going to get nervous.

Suli was great, absolutely did not look out of place and already such a big frame which he used to good effect. Haven't seen him in the clear, no idea on his speed. Defensively not bad, I think he needs more time and experience in the wing role, more about placement for kicks.

Was fairly unimpressed with the team rolled off the bench for the last 20, I feel with the starting 17 more or less decided already. Bayley Siro did a little bit, Marsters didn't do much of anything, Joel Edwards put on a good shot or two then copped a head knock. Could hardly rate the young backs Lemuelu and Mata'afa, they didn't really see much of the ball.

Were there other guys who didn't get a run? I could see Wes Lolo in a pristine jersey on the side. I was looking out for Felise but didn't see him, though by about the 60 minute mark the beers were setting in.

Tedesco was clearly standout, but perhaps for him we just save the commentary for when he has an off game, because he is so good so often.

I thought JT showed his hand for Rd 1 already, took the game fairly seriously: Tedesco, Nofo, Kevvy, MCK, Suli, Moses, Brooks, Woods, McIlwrick, Grant, Lawrence, Sue, Taylor. Bench Aloiai, Idris, Ava, JLJ. MCK switches to backrow after about 20 and Idris comes on. I expect the hooker spot could change most if Biddle (I'm coining that now) are injury-free. 18th man would then be Edwards I am guessing, with McIlwrick and JLJ to drop out.

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 4:11 pm

Think we can afford now, so close to season starting, to calm down with the predictions and just let the footy happen, then make comment on how the team is or is not doing.

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 5:42 pm

Well for me if Kev plays we can not have a bench utiliy, as MCK will be on the bench

If Kev doesn't play that means that MCK will start in the back 5 and we will have an extra spot on the bench for a utility / hooker/ junior
I will support Wests Tigers through thick or thin
I will be cheering when they win
I will love the Tigers Till I Die
With loyal supporters we will fly
I love the Tigers with my heart and soul
I just love the club as a whole
If the Wests Tigers believe
We will Unite, Commit and Achieve
:sign: :sign: :sign:

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 6:23 pm

stryker wrote:Think we can afford now, so close to season starting, to calm down with the predictions and just let the footy happen, then make comment on how the team is or is not doing.
What fun is that? Gunners are gone, no other bands between now and season kick off, what else is there to do?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 8:47 pm

Tiger Come Lately wrote:
stryker wrote:Think we can afford now, so close to season starting, to calm down with the predictions and just let the footy happen, then make comment on how the team is or is not doing.
What fun is that? Gunners are gone, no other bands between now and season kick off, what else is there to do?
Watch the bowling heroics of Moises Henrique from last night and then watch one of his NSW brothers in Clarke bag the poor bowler afterwards

Can't imagine too many positions /players will surprise come Rd 1

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 20 Feb, 2017 11:24 pm

Clever, but I was referring to predictions about Farah.

Your avatar is apt.

Winnipeg

Post by Winnipeg » Tue 21 Feb, 2017 12:48 am

Aloiai looks to have lost a bit of blubber and made several good runs.

Apart from that the halves looked decent in the absence of our two stars...