Nathan Cleary

User avatar
Sabre
Member
Member
Posts: 6958
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: Tiger Town

Re: Nathan Cleary

Post by Sabre » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:34 pm

OldMagpie wrote:
Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:16 pm
I’m not so sure if Nathan is a little selfish myself.
His father was unceremoniously SACKED!!!
Does he not remember that Penrith has been very disrespectful to his father and family.
Wouldn’t it make sense for him to give his family and his Dad a fresh start at a new club, obviously his father was contemplating going to Penrith to appease his son as he has been there a long time. After everything a father has done to make his son always happy, wouldn’t it make sense for Nathan to do something for his dad ? If Nathan is so mature, why not stand up for your family and their dignity & start fresh, leave everything behind. Real young Men, make a name for themselves by sticking up for their family. Everybody looks at you different when you stand up for what’s most important to you in life...... your family!
Maybe Nathan is old enough and mature enough to move beyond just being his father's son. Maybe he enjoys playing at Penrith. He might have close mates there, he might love the cultures the facilities. Or maybe the place just feels like home for him.


OldMagpie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun 12 Aug, 2018 7:59 pm

Post by OldMagpie » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:47 pm

Sabre wrote:
Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:34 pm
OldMagpie wrote:
Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:16 pm
I’m not so sure if Nathan is a little selfish myself.
His father was unceremoniously SACKED!!!
Does he not remember that Penrith has been very disrespectful to his father and family.
Wouldn’t it make sense for him to give his family and his Dad a fresh start at a new club, obviously his father was contemplating going to Penrith to appease his son as he has been there a long time. After everything a father has done to make his son always happy, wouldn’t it make sense for Nathan to do something for his dad ? If Nathan is so mature, why not stand up for your family and their dignity & start fresh, leave everything behind. Real young Men, make a name for themselves by sticking up for their family. Everybody looks at you different when you stand up for what’s most important to you in life...... your family!
Maybe Nathan is old enough and mature enough to move beyond just being his father's son. Maybe he enjoys playing at Penrith. He might have close mates there, he might love the cultures the facilities. Or maybe the place just feels like home for him.
I suppose we all hold different values in life.
All I know...is that if I saw my father quivering and feeling very emotional as he did making that statement at Campbelltown I would have seriously felt like crying watching him endure that. You could see the hurt he was feeling. Sometimes in life...it’s time to move on, it’s not always about your buddies.
Because when Nathan retires his mates will move on BUT family is always there for him.

Nucky Thompson
Member
Member
Posts: 1487
Joined: Sun 09 Oct, 2016 8:08 pm

Post by Nucky Thompson » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:49 pm

OldMagpie wrote:
Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:47 pm
Sabre wrote:
Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:34 pm
OldMagpie wrote:
Sun 12 Aug, 2018 8:16 pm
I’m not so sure if Nathan is a little selfish myself.
His father was unceremoniously SACKED!!!
Does he not remember that Penrith has been very disrespectful to his father and family.
Wouldn’t it make sense for him to give his family and his Dad a fresh start at a new club, obviously his father was contemplating going to Penrith to appease his son as he has been there a long time. After everything a father has done to make his son always happy, wouldn’t it make sense for Nathan to do something for his dad ? If Nathan is so mature, why not stand up for your family and their dignity & start fresh, leave everything behind. Real young Men, make a name for themselves by sticking up for their family. Everybody looks at you different when you stand up for what’s most important to you in life...... your family!
Maybe Nathan is old enough and mature enough to move beyond just being his father's son. Maybe he enjoys playing at Penrith. He might have close mates there, he might love the cultures the facilities. Or maybe the place just feels like home for him.
I suppose we all hold different values in life.
All I know...is that if I saw my father quivering and feeling very emotional as he did making that statement at Campbelltown I would have seriously felt like crying watching him endure that. You could see the hurt he was feeling. Sometimes in life...it’s time to move on, it’s not always about your buddies.
Because when Nathan retires his mates will move on BUT family is always there for him.
He said he do not watch the interview as was preparing for the game.

I know what you mean tho.

OldMagpie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun 12 Aug, 2018 7:59 pm

Post by OldMagpie » Sun 12 Aug, 2018 9:27 pm

Yes, I watched Nathan’s press conference and I heard him say he didn’t even watch his fathers statement. I noticed Nathan saying he owed it to Ciro (Cameron Ciraldo) and his team mates. How about if he owes it to his family and stand up for them by giving Gus the right Royal salute !! Go elsewhere and start fresh ...I feel and get the impression that the whole family is intimidated by GUS. It’s like everyone is scared of Phil Gould.

Warble
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat 24 Mar, 2018 8:13 pm

Post by Warble » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 4:28 am

I can't believe that they talk about Ivan walking out on his contract with 2 years to go when it's glaringly obvious that it would be so much simpler for Nathan to come to us with his contract due to end.
Is it that hard to believe that Nathan would want to come to West Tigers and build something amazing with his father. I mean what a legacy, and the 'in your face' to Gould from Ivan,, who needs to be taken down a peg or 20. I'd be still bitter if I were Ivan.
Let's all hope that is a real possibility. Everone in the Rugby League circle would laugh at Gus. It would be poetic to say the least.
Let's go you bloody legends in black, white ans orange.


OldMagpie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun 12 Aug, 2018 7:59 pm

Post by OldMagpie » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 7:29 am

Warble wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 4:28 am
I can't believe that they talk about Ivan walking out on his contract with 2 years to go when it's glaringly obvious that it would be so much simpler for Nathan to come to us with his contract due to end.
Is it that hard to believe that Nathan would want to come to West Tigers and build something amazing with his father. I mean what a legacy, and the 'in your face' to Gould from Ivan,, who needs to be taken down a peg or 20. I'd be still bitter if I were Ivan.
Let's all hope that is a real possibility. Everone in the Rugby League circle would laugh at Gus. It would be poetic to say the least.
Let's go you bloody legends in black, white ans orange.
very well said, I think we all think on the same page and agree, we all know the Cleary’s Have been poorly treated by Gus, I can’t believe they’re still contemplating staying at that club. Very well said,.

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:00 am

There is no way as a parent I would try to influence my son to make a career decision for any reason, if I felt for a minute that he was only doing it to keep me happy.
I dont think Ivan will either.
If Nathan wants out all well and good - but listening to him talk after the Titans game all he had to say was how much he loves playing footy with the team and Ciraldo.

User avatar
weststigers
Member
Member
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 6:25 pm

Post by weststigers » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 10:40 am

After all the hoo haa about Cleary not committing to the Tigers, Nathan is also not giving anything away.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/11/cle ... on-future/

Onthebus
Member
Member
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun 23 Apr, 2017 7:33 pm

Post by Onthebus » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 10:42 am

This is bigger than those dam Kardashians

OldMagpie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun 12 Aug, 2018 7:59 pm

Post by OldMagpie » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:46 pm

Telltails wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:00 am
There is no way as a parent I would try to influence my son to make a career decision for any reason, if I felt for a minute that he was only doing it to keep me happy.
I dont think Ivan will either.
If Nathan wants out all well and good - but listening to him talk after the Titans game all he had to say was how much he loves playing footy with the team and Ciraldo.
Nathan should not be influenced I agree.
It should come from with-in. Isn’t it natural to hate someone who has sacked your father and insulted him by telling him he looks tired? Nathan said himself that the family was going through a tough time when all this blew up with Gould ! I would think most people in that situation would tell Gus to go and G F !
Also ..in all seriousness,what sort of credibility is Ivan going to have in the NRL if he goes grovelling back to Penrith?? Puleeeeease !

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:09 pm

OldMagpie wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:46 pm
Telltails wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:00 am
There is no way as a parent I would try to influence my son to make a career decision for any reason, if I felt for a minute that he was only doing it to keep me happy.
I dont think Ivan will either.
If Nathan wants out all well and good - but listening to him talk after the Titans game all he had to say was how much he loves playing footy with the team and Ciraldo.
Nathan should not be influenced I agree.
It should come from with-in. Isn’t it natural to hate someone who has sacked your father and insulted him by telling him he looks tired? Nathan said himself that the family was going through a tough time when all this blew up with Gould ! I would think most people in that situation would tell Gus to go and G F !
Also ..in all seriousness,what sort of credibility is Ivan going to have in the NRL if he goes grovelling back to Penrith?? Puleeeeease !
Dont expect that Ivan will want to go anywhere near Penrith now if Gould is still running the place however things can change quickly with footy.
The Clearys may not realise there goal to be together with this upcoming contract of Nathans. It may have to wait a few years now after the events of the last week, and not necessarily at either club.

OldMagpie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun 12 Aug, 2018 7:59 pm

Post by OldMagpie » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:52 pm

Telltails wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:09 pm
OldMagpie wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:46 pm
Telltails wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:00 am
There is no way as a parent I would try to influence my son to make a career decision for any reason, if I felt for a minute that he was only doing it to keep me happy.
I dont think Ivan will either.
If Nathan wants out all well and good - but listening to him talk after the Titans game all he had to say was how much he loves playing footy with the team and Ciraldo.
Nathan should not be influenced I agree.
It should come from with-in. Isn’t it natural to hate someone who has sacked your father and insulted him by telling him he looks tired? Nathan said himself that the family was going through a tough time when all this blew up with Gould ! I would think most people in that situation would tell Gus to go and G F !
Also ..in all seriousness,what sort of credibility is Ivan going to have in the NRL if he goes grovelling back to Penrith?? Puleeeeease !
Dont expect that Ivan will want to go anywhere near Penrith now if Gould is still running the place however things can change quickly with footy.
The Clearys may not realise there goal to be together with this upcoming contract of Nathans. It may have to wait a few years now after the events of the last week, and not necessarily at either club.
yes, I agree in part. The harsh reality for the Cleary’s is that they need to act now! Reason is, Ivan might not be as popular as what he is at this present moment,should the team he is coaching at the time be performing badly( basically why would a club want Ivan at that stage?) Where as for Nathan,,I don’t think he will get worse with time.., only better! But Ivan may find the opportunity closed once the time comes for him to link up with Nathan ..

You’ve got to strike while the iron is hot!!!!

I have negotiated for many people for many years, I have found this always to be the case not necessarily in rugby league but inBusiness

Telltails
Member
Member
Posts: 2810
Joined: Fri 18 Apr, 2014 3:24 pm

Post by Telltails » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 2:06 pm

OldMagpie wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:52 pm
Telltails wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:09 pm
OldMagpie wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:46 pm
Telltails wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 8:00 am
There is no way as a parent I would try to influence my son to make a career decision for any reason, if I felt for a minute that he was only doing it to keep me happy.
I dont think Ivan will either.
If Nathan wants out all well and good - but listening to him talk after the Titans game all he had to say was how much he loves playing footy with the team and Ciraldo.
Nathan should not be influenced I agree.
It should come from with-in. Isn’t it natural to hate someone who has sacked your father and insulted him by telling him he looks tired? Nathan said himself that the family was going through a tough time when all this blew up with Gould ! I would think most people in that situation would tell Gus to go and G F !
Also ..in all seriousness,what sort of credibility is Ivan going to have in the NRL if he goes grovelling back to Penrith?? Puleeeeease !
Dont expect that Ivan will want to go anywhere near Penrith now if Gould is still running the place however things can change quickly with footy.
The Clearys may not realise there goal to be together with this upcoming contract of Nathans. It may have to wait a few years now after the events of the last week, and not necessarily at either club.
yes, I agree in part. The harsh reality for the Cleary’s is that they need to act now! Reason is, Ivan might not be as popular as what he is at this present moment,should the team he is coaching at the time be performing badly( basically why would a club want Ivan at that stage?) Where as for Nathan,,I don’t think he will get worse with time.., only better! But Ivan may find the opportunity closed once the time comes for him to link up with Nathan ..

You’ve got to strike while the iron is hot!!!!

I have negotiated for many people for many years, I have found this always to be the case not necessarily in rugby league but inBusiness
Funny how we have all found ourselves invested to a point in their desire to fulfill that goal. I will just be glad when Nathan signs with anyone. I think we will be fine with or without him tbh.

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6167
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 3:41 pm

Onthebus wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 10:42 am
This is bigger than those dam Kardashians
Cleardashians?

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 29870
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 8:51 am

People realise Nathan Cleary doesn't have to sign anywhere after Nov 1 if he doesn't want too ...that is simply the date at which he is free to negotiate with other Clubs without having to receive permission from his current Club...he can wait to well into 2019 if he wants too...

Having said that I surprised his current Club hasn't announced he has extended for 10 years DCE style as he loves it so much there...What's the hold up Gus...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41475
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:00 am

jirskyr wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 3:41 pm
Onthebus wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 10:42 am
This is bigger than those dam Kardashians
Cleardashians?
Talking about the Kardashians , Kanye has a new song XTCY

Should hear what he sings about in regards to his 4 sister in laws , heard it on the Mick Molloy show last night driving home

He is a sick ....

In regards to Nathan , forget about him please , lets get our other positions such as back row ,centres and another prop sorted 1st

User avatar
TigerTiger
Member
Member
Posts: 587
Joined: Tue 13 Jun, 2017 4:56 pm

Post by TigerTiger » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:02 am

Geo. wrote:
Tue 14 Aug, 2018 8:51 am
People realise Nathan Cleary doesn't have to sign anywhere after Nov 1 if he doesn't want too ...that is simply the date at which he is free to negotiate with other Clubs without having to receive permission from his current Club...he can wait to well into 2019 if he wants too...

Having said that I surprised his current Club hasn't announced he has extended for 10 years DCE style as he loves it so much there...What's the hold up Gus...
Gus has been trying to get Nathan to extend for over a year now, and Nathan simply won't. Imo means either one of two things. He wants to leave, or he wants to look around and drive up his price.

Gus offered him some rubbish deal initially I thought worth around 600k/ year for five years or so. Pretty sure I read it was something like that.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

User avatar
vlad
Member
Member
Posts: 933
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:56 pm

Post by vlad » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 9:23 am

Things were probably going fine when Ivan was talking with Dave O’Neill . Maybe could’ve got it over the line quietly in the off season . Like Souths did with Maguire last year .

O’Neill was probably telling Ivan how Gus has mellowed & wasn’t meddling in the day to day coaching of the team .

But then the bull in the china shop ( Gus ) sacked Griffin then trashed him in the media to justify the unjustifiable .

Which brought back the bad memories from 3 years ago for Ivan & his family .

Locked