The Contenders: Second Row

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 31258
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth

The Contenders: Second Row

Post by willow » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:01 pm

Courtesy of the official Wests Tigers website:

The Contenders: Second Row
Author Dan Talintyre
Mon 8 Jan 2018, 03:00 PM

Next up, we take a look at an intriguing second row battle between a number of players!



CHRIS LAWRENCE

Age: 29

NRL Games: 208

At Wests Tigers since: 2006

Vice-captain of the side last year and one of the frontrunners to be named as captain for the 2018 season, Chris Lawrence seems likely to lock down one of the two back row spots on offer — just as he has done for the past few seasons. The longest-serving player at Wests Tigers in 2018, the former Australian international offered plenty in attack and defence throughout the 2017 season with remarkable consistency, and his leadership will certainly be vital to Ivan Cleary’s side going forward. Likely to feature on the left edge, look for Lawrence’s dangerous combination with Luke Brooks in the year ahead.


CHRIS MCQUEEN

Age: 30

NRL Games: 151

At Wests Tigers since: 2018

The first of many new recruits to join Wests Tigers in 2018, Chris McQueen heads in to the new year after a long break following neck surgery in the latter stages of 2017 — something that perhaps sounds far more dangerous than it was in the end. McQueen comes in to the new year fresh after missing England’s World Cup squad due to the injury, but determined to contribute after spending long periods time on the sidelines. Versatile in his ability as a decoy or ball-runner, the former Queensland State of Origin representative has the ability to cover in the backs should an injury occur, and will certainly come in to contention for a back row or bench spot in season 2018.


ELIJAH TAYLOR

Age: 27

NRL Games: 142

At Wests Tigers since: 2016

Wests Tigers Player of the Year for 2017, Elijah Taylor earned a deserved recall to the New Zealand national side at the end of last season and will head in to the new year ready to build on what he achieved last year. A leader on and off the field, Taylor’s defensive work rate and willingness to get involved in attack made him one of the most dangerous ball-playing forwards in the game last year and he’ll certainly lay claim to that again in 2018 with a stronger forward pack around him. The question is not whether Taylor will feature in Wests Tigers Round 1 side, but rather as to where, with the 27-year-old capable of playing either back row or lock, and can also cover at hooker.


ESAN MARSTERS

Age: 21

NRL Games: 13

At Wests Tigers since: 2017

After a great rookie season saw him feature in all 13 matches to end the season, Esan Marsters will head in to 2018 looking to lock down a spot in a side that has far deeper competition for spots than before. Capable of playing in either the back row or centres, Marsters’ sharp footwork and size make him a handful for defences in either position, but the question will be as to what position he’ll end up in in 2018. Perhaps a utility role suits the Junior Kiwi representative more given his versatility, but there’s no doubting Marsters will have his eyes on a starting jersey given his strong finish to season 2017.



JOSH ALOIAI

Age: 22

NRL Games: 39

At Wests Tigers since: 2016

Having broken a Wests Tigers record by playing every game in his rookie season, Josh Aloiai followed up in 2017 with another strong year — particularly towards the back end of the year. Playing out on the right edge, Aloiai’s determined running in attack made him a handful to deal with and he’ll look to build on that again in 2018. Scarily, Aloiai’s 2018 season is shaping as his first year with a preseason under his belt, having battled injuries previously, which will make him a definite weapon for Wests Tigers to utilise in the year ahead. Like Sauaso Sue (who we’ll get to shortly), Aloiai is capable of playing any position in the forward pack — which could mean he ends up missing out on one of the two starting spots on offer here — but back row is perhaps his best position, and he’ll certainly be in the running to nab a spot in that Round 1 team on March 10.


MATT EISENHUTH

Age: 25

NRL Games: 11

At Wests Tigers since: 2017

Another who impressed greatly in his debut season, Matt Eisenhuth’s seamless transition to first-grade will have given both himself and Coach Ivan Cleary plenty of confidence heading in to 2018 as he looks to secure a starting spot. By the end of the year, Eisenhuth was the team’s starting lock forward (with Elijah Taylor out on the edge) — leading the way with his ball-playing skills, good defence and hard running in attack. The 25-year-old is capable of playing in the back row too, which is why he gets a mention here, and he will certainly come in to calculations for a second row spot given the depth of talent available in 2018. Given how well he went last year, it’s hard to imagine Eisenhuth missing the final 17 for Round 1, but there is a terrific amount of talent in Wests Tigers’ 2018 squad so we’ll leave that one up to Coach Cleary!


MICHAEL CHEE KAM

Age: 25

NRL Games: 32

At Wests Tigers since: 2016

Michael Chee Kam enjoyed a breakout season at Wests Tigers in 2017 — playing 22 of a possible 24 games and crossing for his maiden try in the NRL. A relentless and consistent attitude made him an invaluable member of the squad last year and it shapes that way again in 2018 despite increased depth across the board. Able to play in the back row or centres, Chee Kam is a known quantity for Coach Cleary’s plans — which will only help the 25-year-old’s chances at selection — and he will no doubt play an important role throughout the year, whether that starts in Round 1 or not.



ROBBIE ROCHOW

Age: 27

NRL Games: 83

At Wests Tigers since: 2018

The last forward to join “the bus” in 2018, Robbie Rochow moves back to Sydney after spending the past few months in the Melbourne Storm system that he began his career in back in 2010. An experienced and versatile forward, Rochow is one of the fitter big men in the squad and will certainly add plenty to the squad in the year ahead — particularly if he can snag a spot in the opening 17 to start the year. The 27-year-old has played in some big games throughout his career, which a lot of the other back rowers in contention have not, but we’ll have to wait and see if that will get him there for Round 1.


SAUASO SUE

Age: 25

NRL Games: 100

At Wests Tigers since: 2013

A regular in Wests Tigers forward pack over the past few seasons, Sauaso Sue took his game up a level in 2018 with bruising defence and hard running making for a dangerous forward on a number of occasions. Reaching the 100-game milestone, the Samoan big man will look to step up again in the year ahead, but the question looms as to what role that will be in — prop, lock or second row? Sue played all three positions under Cleary in his first season in charge of the team and will perhaps have his eye on a front row spot given the depth that exists in the back row, but that still remains to be seen.


User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 26524
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:13 pm

More options with game experience
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 37735
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:33 pm

Three of our back rowers are seen as part time centres .......

The position where our options in the 11 and 12 need to overachieve for us to have a successful season

User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 20134
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:38 pm

11. McQueen
12. ET
13. Hooth

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 1880
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 9:25 pm

I know everyone says our backrow is poor but look at the depth in that position.

I still think you should view lock as a more mobile prop and to me Eisenhuth, Sue and Aloiai fill that role with Sue being the more likely to slot into prop out of those three.

Cleary could though play Taylor at lock and Lawrence and McQueen on the edges. Chee Kam and Masters could slot into an edge role if either Lawrence or McQueen get injured or don't perform.

I'm not sure that we need these positions to over achieve. Cleary just needs to work out what works best for the team.

Aloiai to me has to be in the team. He is the forward most likely to bust the line either up the middle or on the edge.


gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 4364
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:40 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:38 pm
11. McQueen
12. ET
13. Hooth
That seems the obvious choice for me. Who gets on the bench will be the contentious decision.

User avatar
Masterton
Member
Member
Posts: 2273
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 6:57 pm

Post by Masterton » Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:58 pm

gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:40 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:38 pm
11. McQueen
12. ET
13. Hooth
That seems the obvious choice for me. Who gets on the bench will be the contentious decision.
For mine, Aloiai was just too good at the end of the season to leave out, but I could see him come in later as an impact player.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

User avatar
hammertime
Member
Member
Posts: 2385
Joined: Sat 26 Sep, 2009 6:00 pm
Location: Rozelle, NSW

Post by hammertime » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 1:52 am

9. ET
11 McQueen
12. Lawrence
13. Hooth

Bench: Aloiai

depending on injuries, I think we could move on Sue/Grant before mid year and saved some coin for a game breaker or N Cleary.

Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 2909
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 9:37 am

We have depth but only to the extent that the quality isn't amazing and there's 4-5 players there all of a similar level, ok but not great, nor awful...
Eiso would surely be the lock based on last year's form, which puts ET in the back row with Lawrence, McQueen and Aloiai fighting for the other spot + bench spot

User avatar
barra
Member
Member
Posts: 2154
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
Location: Sth Coast

Post by barra » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 1:08 pm

Although I don't think he is the in the top couple of back row options, Lawrence position to lose, most likely...

User avatar
beachtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:12 am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Post by beachtiger » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 1:56 pm

As some have already said we have quite a few players that are very similar so the balance of the team is what is going to be the most important thing.

I don't think there is any chance that Taylor or Lawrence will miss a spot out of the back 3 which leaves it as a battle between McQueen, Eiso and Aloiai.

Personally I would like to see Lawrence and Taylor in backrow with the big body of Eiso as starting lock. I would then have McQueen coming off the bench with Taylor moving into Hooker to cover for Liddle at the back end of first half and start of second half. Once Liddle comes back on Taylor back to second row and McQueen back to bench.

This then leaves Aloiai as bench prop where I think he would be a dynamic player.

This way we haven't taken up a bench spot with a reserve hooker, we have McQueen available for backline reshuffle if we have an injury and then the option of having Twal, Sue or Grant taking up the final 2 bench spots.

11. Taylor
12. Lawrence
13. Eiso

14. McQueen
15. Aloiai
16 / 17. Twal, Grant or Sue

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am

Post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 2:02 pm

beachtiger wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 1:56 pm
As some have already said we have quite a few players that are very similar so the balance of the team is what is going to be the most important thing.

I don't think there is any chance that Taylor or Lawrence will miss a spot out of the back 3 which leaves it as a battle between McQueen, Eiso and Aloiai.

Personally I would like to see Lawrence and Taylor in backrow with the big body of Eiso as starting lock. I would then have McQueen coming off the bench with Taylor moving into Hooker to cover for Liddle at the back end of first half and start of second half. Once Liddle comes back on Taylor back to second row and McQueen back to bench.

This then leaves Aloiai as bench prop where I think he would be a dynamic player.

This way we haven't taken up a bench spot with a reserve hooker, we have McQueen available for backline reshuffle if we have an injury and then the option of having Twal, Sue or Grant taking up the final 2 bench spots.

11. Taylor
12. Lawrence
13. Eiso

14. McQueen
15. Aloiai
16 / 17. Twal, Grant or Sue
I would personally prefer Marsters in the role you have described for McQueen. I don't see a spot for him in the centres (Milne & Suli) and is too good for ISP.

bp tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:35 pm

Post by bp tiger » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:05 pm

still believe this is are weakest spot, all above are solid players but none are a stand out class backrower, time will tell but this will be are Achilles heal.

User avatar
beachtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:12 am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Post by beachtiger » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:14 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 2:02 pm
beachtiger wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 1:56 pm
As some have already said we have quite a few players that are very similar so the balance of the team is what is going to be the most important thing.

I don't think there is any chance that Taylor or Lawrence will miss a spot out of the back 3 which leaves it as a battle between McQueen, Eiso and Aloiai.

Personally I would like to see Lawrence and Taylor in backrow with the big body of Eiso as starting lock. I would then have McQueen coming off the bench with Taylor moving into Hooker to cover for Liddle at the back end of first half and start of second half. Once Liddle comes back on Taylor back to second row and McQueen back to bench.

This then leaves Aloiai as bench prop where I think he would be a dynamic player.

This way we haven't taken up a bench spot with a reserve hooker, we have McQueen available for backline reshuffle if we have an injury and then the option of having Twal, Sue or Grant taking up the final 2 bench spots.

11. Taylor
12. Lawrence
13. Eiso

14. McQueen
15. Aloiai
16 / 17. Twal, Grant or Sue
I would personally prefer Marsters in the role you have described for McQueen. I don't see a spot for him in the centres (Milne & Suli) and is too good for ISP.
Yeah I would be happy with him in that role as well but I suppose my reason for picking McQueen is due to his vast experience, either option I would be happy with though.

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am

Post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:14 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:05 pm
still believe this is are weakest spot, all above are solid players but none are a stand out class backrower, time will tell but this will be are Achilles heal.
We still have spot #30 left and plenty of $$$ ;)

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 31258
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth

Post by willow » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:39 pm

Masterton wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:58 pm
gallagher wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 10:40 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 09 Jan, 2018 8:38 pm
11. McQueen
12. ET
13. Hooth
That seems the obvious choice for me. Who gets on the bench will be the contentious decision.
For mine, Aloiai was just too good at the end of the season to leave out, but I could see him come in later as an impact player.
Agree. I like him on the edge, so he starts on the right edge with the left to be decided between Rowdy and McQueen. Eisenhuth to start at lock. I'd start Taylor at 9 and he can revert to lock to give Eiso a rest and Liddle comes on.

bp tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2194
Joined: Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:35 pm

Post by bp tiger » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 4:16 pm

WestsBenTigers wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:14 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:05 pm
still believe this is are weakest spot, all above are solid players but none are a stand out class backrower, time will tell but this will be are Achilles heal.
We still have spot #30 left and plenty of $$$ ;)
ur right on both a/cs but there just seems, like there is not much talent left to buy, but things can change, HOPE SO.

User avatar
WestsBenTigers
Member
Member
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed 05 Oct, 2016 11:14 am

Post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 9:10 pm

bp tiger wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 4:16 pm
WestsBenTigers wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:14 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 3:05 pm
still believe this is are weakest spot, all above are solid players but none are a stand out class backrower, time will tell but this will be are Achilles heal.
We still have spot #30 left and plenty of $$$ ;)
ur right on both a/cs but there just seems, like there is not much talent left to buy, but things can change, HOPE SO.
We have until June 30, and you saw the mid-year trades during 2017, so I am sure we will pick up a decent player

Post Reply