The Contenders: Second Row

Needaname

Re: The Contenders: Second Row

Post by Needaname » Wed 10 Jan, 2018 11:07 pm

This is the way I see it.
Of our 29 players the key to the season is being flexible, and versatile. I know it's Dan our media man and he only would have a small in site into how we are going to line up, but what these articles have highlighted is that each player is versatile to play in more than one position. Most of the players have been listed in 2 or 3 of the contender articles.
So to start the year.

Left side is an alternate between Lawernce and McQueen.
And I think right side will alternate Taylor and Alioia.

Lawernce is probably our least flexible player but at the start of the season his work rate is massive. McQueen will most likely start on the bench to cover the left backrow interchange and any unforseen injuries but will probably play no set amount of mins to begin alternating between both backrow options.

Taylor to start at hooker with right side Aloiai to start for mine for about 25 mins. After that aloia direct interchange for liddle, taylor moves to the backrow, aloioi is rested then brought into the game around the 50 min mark for impact, possibly interchanging with Eiso who has played all minutes to this point. (starting lock).

Not counting the Mc Queen / lawernce interchange that is 2 interchanges.

The props.
Russell to belt it up for 20 - 25 mins then interchanged with Twal. Mats is on for 30-35 then interchanged with Sue.
2 more interchanges.

Eiso needs to come back on, liddle/ Mac come off at 65 - 70 and taylor closes out the game at hooker.
Or
Taylor stays at backrow and Liddle / mac stays on and Eiso subs in for aloio or lawernce.
1 more that's five.
Or taylor comes off for Eiso.

Mats and packer will come back on with between 20 - 15 mins to go thats 2 more.

Last one can be to bring Mc Queen on for lawernce or for taylor

With HIAs more coming in the game I don't feel McQueen will spend 50mins on the pine before getting his chance but as I'm writing this I'm re evaluating the need to have both Lawernce and McQueen in the same team unless we start them both in the back row.

The other option is to have McQueen start right side and switch between left and right or fill in at Centre / lock if required.
This then means aloii or Sue is left on the pine waiting the right time to come on.

Lots of options and a good mix between impact and consistancy. Definetly looks a more imposing and more versatile forward pack than last year when you consider the above.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 12:34 am

Needaname wrote:
Wed 10 Jan, 2018 11:07 pm
This is the way I see it.
Of our 29 players the key to the season is being flexible, and versatile. I know it's Dan our media man and he only would have a small in site into how we are going to line up, but what these articles have highlighted is that each player is versatile to play in more than one position. Most of the players have been listed in 2 or 3 of the contender articles.
So to start the year.

Left side is an alternate between Lawernce and McQueen.
And I think right side will alternate Taylor and Alioia.

Lawernce is probably our least flexible player but at the start of the season his work rate is massive. McQueen will most likely start on the bench to cover the left backrow interchange and any unforseen injuries but will probably play no set amount of mins to begin alternating between both backrow options.

Taylor to start at hooker with right side Aloiai to start for mine for about 25 mins. After that aloia direct interchange for liddle, taylor moves to the backrow, aloioi is rested then brought into the game around the 50 min mark for impact, possibly interchanging with Eiso who has played all minutes to this point. (starting lock).

Not counting the Mc Queen / lawernce interchange that is 2 interchanges.

The props.
Russell to belt it up for 20 - 25 mins then interchanged with Twal. Mats is on for 30-35 then interchanged with Sue.
2 more interchanges.

Eiso needs to come back on, liddle/ Mac come off at 65 - 70 and taylor closes out the game at hooker.
Or
Taylor stays at backrow and Liddle / mac stays on and Eiso subs in for aloio or lawernce.
1 more that's five.
Or taylor comes off for Eiso.

Mats and packer will come back on with between 20 - 15 mins to go thats 2 more.

Last one can be to bring Mc Queen on for lawernce or for taylor

With HIAs more coming in the game I don't feel McQueen will spend 50mins on the pine before getting his chance but as I'm writing this I'm re evaluating the need to have both Lawernce and McQueen in the same team unless we start them both in the back row.

The other option is to have McQueen start right side and switch between left and right or fill in at Centre / lock if required.
This then means aloii or Sue is left on the pine waiting the right time to come on.

Lots of options and a good mix between impact and consistancy. Definetly looks a more imposing and more versatile forward pack than last year when you consider the above.
With a tweak or two, I am with you on a fair bit of that.

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 11 Jan, 2018 9:37 am

I keep hearing Taylor at hooker but I don't think he is a good option there. Defensively he will be great but I'm not sure if he offers much offensively out of dummy half. I also don't think we can have our edge backrowers getting interchanged every game. The interchanges will have to be used for our middle players or for some impact.

I think we need 3 forwards on the bench because I think we need an impact player available. That could be Benji or Liddle/McIlwrick. Then we need 3 middle players. Maybe Aloiai could be an option for the edge but I think we will need to replace the lock and props every game.

It's all speculation at this point though. Cleary will have to figure out what works.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 1:22 pm

from Foxsports.com

In 2018, it’s the year of the backrower.

There’s no shortage of them off-contract with plenty of quality unsigned.

The likes of Boyd Cordner, Josh Papalii, Felise Kaufusi, Jamie Buhrer, Ethan Lowe and Simon Mannering are all free agents in the final season of their current deals.

Already Cordner, Kaufusi and Papalii are eyeing off dramatic increases as internationals.

Emerging talents like Esan Marsters, Jaydn Su’a and Tevita Pangai Junior are also unsigned for 2019.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

junior05

Post by junior05 » Mon 05 Feb, 2018 1:43 pm

Jaydn Su’a is one player we should target. A very good Second Rower.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 9:14 am

Is there a weaker looking backrow than that in the comp?

The best player there is the least experienced, Hooth at 11 games.

Our backrow, our no9, our no7, our inexperience in the 1 position and our lack of speed are all major reasons why we will be watching the finals again this season.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 9:44 am

At just 22 years of age Josh Aloiai looks like a strong backrower. Matt Eisenhuth was a really good find last year. His 100 plus meter average in attack from the lock position gave us some real good go forward making easier for the other two backrowers to get ahead of steam up.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Tue 06 Feb, 2018 11:25 am

I think our forward pack is our strongest asset this year. It's the backline that's worrying me.
WTF's self proclaimed #1 anarchist. President of the Michael Chee-Kam fan club

MCK fan club members: hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji.