R.I.P. Changa..

General Social Discussion
Geo.

R.I.P. Changa..

Post by Geo. » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 5:00 pm

Greame Langlands passed away in his nursing home aged 76..

R.I.P..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 5:08 pm

Yes, Rest In Peace.

Munk

Post by Munk » Sun 21 Jan, 2018 10:32 pm

Not many replies, I guess some of the mud stuck.
Superior footballer and legend of Australian sport, may he rest in peace.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 12:40 am

Munk wrote:
Sun 21 Jan, 2018 10:32 pm
Not many replies, I guess some of the mud stuck.
Superior footballer and legend of Australian sport, may he rest in peace.
Most forum members probably didn't see him play Munk and makes it a bit hard to comment , but mud will stick and that was exactly what I said in the other thread

Even an old fogey like me only has vague memories of his later years but when your uncles and older people all comment on him and how good he was you have to back their opinions

RIP Changa , condolensces to his family and friends , here's hoping we remember you for the right reasons in the future :pray:

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 8:23 am

Very sad day
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 8:55 am

He was a great footballer one of the best fullbacks i have seen

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 9:21 am

Yeah, some mud has stuck from my end, but he is being remembered as an Immortal in the news and I have not heard anything of the allegations in the last couple of days, so little stain in general from the media/public perspective.

Don't remember much of him on the field, other than the white boots that made him stand out as a poor performer in the shellacking they copped in his last match/grand final against the chooks.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 10:03 am

formerguest wrote:
Mon 22 Jan, 2018 9:21 am
Yeah, some mud has stuck from my end, but he is being remembered as an Immortal in the news and I have not heard anything of the allegations in the last couple of days, so little stain in general from the media/public perspective.

Don't remember much of him on the field, other than the white boots that made him stand out as a poor performer in the shellacking they copped in his last match/grand final against the chooks.
So, you do not know much about him, but are prepared to believe allegations from years ago. I stress, allegations.

Way to go.

Very good footballer. Tough, resilient and talented. Could play fullback, center or wing at the highest level.

Not a patch on Reg Gasnier, but great none- the- less.

Lots of good/bad memories from the SCG when Wests and St. George were the powerhouses of the league. Gasnier and Langlands drove the Wests supporters mad. And I guess the opposite also applied.

RIP Chang.

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 11:43 am

all for people calling out wrongs done against them. but i hate this 30-40 year wait before u do it, also against a bloke who cant defend himself. also dont like the fact that she outs him but she can stay anonymous its wrong.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 12:41 pm

formerguest wrote:

He'd had a painkiller for a leg injury to get on the field but it was ineffective.
I recall him playing when I first started watching footy...he was smooth and had a great step and was very cool

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 1:41 pm

I saw him play many times but the 1975 grand final still has vivid memories for me....Arthur had a blinder both in attack and defence and hit Changa full on more than once....I don't believe that Langlands should have played because he was so obviously carrying a serious injury but he was Changa and he said I'm playing so that was that. He was tough and he was good R.I.P G.L.

formerguest
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by formerguest » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 3:10 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 22 Jan, 2018 12:41 pm
formerguest wrote:

He'd had a painkiller for a leg injury to get on the field but it was ineffective.
I recall him playing when I first started watching footy...he was smooth and had a great step and was very cool
Yeah, heard something along those lines a few years back. Pretty sure that I never saw him play at Leichhardt, which was the only ground that I went to prior to the late seventies, so probably only watched him on the black and white box a few times and his final game on our brand new Rank Arena colour TV the old man bought after a big night at Harold Park. I think that was the first GF broadcast in colour.

Some of the punters amongst us will understand the following only too well. Dad got into a bit of strife that night and I can still remember my sister running through the house screaming "dad's got millions of dollars and is hiding it under a hubcap in the driveway". Busted!

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 3:41 pm

chang had a great right foot side step which everyone tried to emulate in their backyards- long before the benji bit.
chang and billy smith were lynchpins in those great saints teams- add raper at lock and gasnier at centre- fairly handy lineup- no wonder they won 12 premierships in a row.Balmain and wests both tried to stop their run but couldnt.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 6:52 pm

RIP white boots.

Haven't seen a lot of footage of him but what I have suggests he was before his time.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 9:33 pm

eyewonder wrote:
Mon 22 Jan, 2018 3:41 pm
chang had a great right foot side step which everyone tried to emulate in their backyards- long before the benji bit.
chang and billy smith were lynchpins in those great saints teams- add raper at lock and gasnier at centre- fairly handy lineup- no wonder they won 12 premierships in a row.Balmain and wests both tried to stop their run but couldnt.
Was it 12, I’ve always thought it was 11.
It was a hell of a run anyway.
The 63 finals and GF were the first times that I saw the Magpies play and followed them right up to their Demise.
I loved watching the Saints though, and it was incredible watching all the great players that they had , and Langlands was one of their best( if not THE best)
He’d have been a Champion in any era,
The only sidestep anywhere near his was Brad Fittler.
An amazing player.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 22 Jan, 2018 10:16 pm

It was 11

By all accounts a great player.

I don't know enough of the evidence to comment on the charges - I don't dismiss them as made up I don't accept it as fact.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Tue 23 Jan, 2018 9:31 am

I grew up watching the guy... the word champion gets over used a lot, but not in his case.
Hated him when he played against Balmain - he was just too good.
Interesting to read that in 1985 RLW named it's best side since 1970 and there were eight former Test captains named ... the players themselves left the captain's spot in the photo for Langlands.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 29 Jan, 2018 1:05 pm

I saw him at Lidcombe Oval about 68 and he was going to kick goal and in his run up I booed him, my St George mate took offense and stated that wasn't the done thing. Also Frank Hyde calling them wrong by about 10 yards.

Concerning abuse allegations looking at all the USA women now coming out decades later - that is usually the norm.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)