Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

momo&medo

Re: Few Quick thoughts from the Trial

Post by momo&medo » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:46 pm

king sirro wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 3:54 pm
bp tiger wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 2:55 pm
this just me thinking out loud, i wish we had not signed Reynolds, thought tui was playing well at 5/8 last year and we have a few who can slot into fullback. so if tui fails at fullback does Ivan drop josh and play tui or does he just get pumped from spot to spot. his running game at 5/8 is so much better than josh's.
Tui looked much better at fullback then he did at 6. He's a runner, not a half.
I agree.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:52 pm

Tacky wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:29 pm
Someone on the cows forum uploaded the full match if you want to watch it
Can u post a link plz.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:54 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:52 pm
Tacky wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 5:29 pm
Someone on the cows forum uploaded the full match if you want to watch it
Can u post a link plz.
http://www.cowboysstampede.com.au/index ... 71/page-13
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 6:04 pm

Ta tack

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 6:40 pm

Eddie wrote:
Sat 17 Feb, 2018 10:42 pm
Few quick observations from the trial game. Keen to here what everyone else saw from the live stream.

* The benefit of having a new side essentially was there for all to see. Everyone wanted to impress. Everyone is playing for spots. We ran there ball a lot harder then the Cowboys. We played with far more intent and energy.

* Our 2nd string pack was dominant. JJ Felise played like an animal getting over the advantage line and getting quick play the balls. Aloli was really really strong when he came on. Even Grant was getting over the advantage line and Eisentuth and even Lawrence played pretty strong.

*Cowboys were terrible. I reckon they gave away about 12 penalties, 4 or 5 when they had the ball. They struggled to compete a set in the first half.

* Brooks an Reynolds had their moments individually. Brooks running game is really dangerous. I think he gave up 3, 7 tackle sets thought so that is an ongoing concern. Reynolds looked very busy. I much prefer him at 6. He throws too many off passes too be eve a half decent hooker. Gamble looks a strong boy and scored a really nice try taking the line on. All our halves took the line on.

* Our goal kicking looks bad. Real bad.
pretty much agree with most of that... The quick PTB really had an effect & the Cowboys were pretty bad in the first half.

I liked what I saw from Lolohea in attack as Fullback. I would love to get some feedback on him from someone who was at the game, as 70% of a Fullbacks work is done off the ball and not seen on TV.

Interesting battle between Thompson & MWZ for the open Wing spot. I'd call it a draw for now.

I dont think anyone played poorly last night.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Spud Murphy

Post by Spud Murphy » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:11 pm

king sirro wrote:
bp tiger wrote:
this just me thinking out loud, i wish we had not signed Reynolds, thought tui was playing well at 5/8 last year and we have a few who can slot into fullback. so if tui fails at fullback does Ivan drop josh and play tui or does he just get pumped from spot to spot. his running game at 5/8 is so much better than josh's.
I have to agree that Tui is better at the back than at 5/8. Also, I think those critising Reynolds and questioning his signing are underestimating just what he brings to the team as a whole. Mark my words, he will be a huge asset to us as the season rolls on.

TYGA

Post by TYGA » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:29 pm

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:11 pm
king sirro wrote:
bp tiger wrote:
I have to agree that Tui is better at the back than at 5/8. Also, I think those critising Reynolds and questioning his signing are underestimating just what he brings to the team as a whole. Mark my words, he will be a huge asset to us as the season rolls on.
Agree with this. Tui has shredded kilos from last year with match fitness he could be a difference maker. Huge question mark but a good start. Reynolds will be close to NSW 5/8 this year.

goldcoast tiger

Post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:31 pm

TYGA wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:29 pm
Spud Murphy wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 7:11 pm
king sirro wrote:
bp tiger wrote:
Agree with this. Tui has shredded kilos from last year with match fitness he could be a difference maker. Huge question mark but a good start. Reynolds will be close to NSW 5/8 this year.
I’ll be happy if he’s even adequate for us, but I admire your trial season optimism

criwdfluffer

Post by criwdfluffer » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 8:19 pm

My thoughts on the game.....

Very impressed with our centres......Milne and Masters are big boys and have nice offloads......for the first time in years we are big and dangerous.

Tui is better running than passing.....

We have some big boys up front.....we looked bigger than the cowboys and it showed how easily we went up their middle.

Loved Reynolds......that energy is infectious,hunted down JT all day and looked dangerous with ball in hand.....set up two tries.

Pleasantly surprised with Corey Thompson,very good footwork.he might just get a wing spot.

And Rochow wasn't bad either,I never realized how big he is......hes a monster!!

And we didn't see much of Fonua but I liked what I saw......took a power of stopping and got super quick play the balls.

TSupps05

Post by TSupps05 » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:16 pm

A few years ago Rochow was one of the best 2nd rowers in the game and Newcastle were throwing everything at him to stay with them, but he got a few injuries changed clubs and had gone oof the radar. Personally i really like him and he is a REAL smokey for round 1.
I don't know why but Braith Anasta pisses me off :mrgreen:

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:20 pm

Just re-watched the game, due to the cows being penalised 5 or 6 times for incorrect ptb and just not completing sets we never really got to see Tui have to do much, I'm pretty sure he never fielded a kick on the full or had to do any fullback work at all, he just wasn't tested at all. So everybody who is already making the call after that game that he's better at fullback i don't know how you can say that yet.

Gamble, Rochow and Thompson went better than i thought they would.

Really no use trying to get a gauge on how we'll go with so many missing and the Cows literally handing us the ball for the entire game.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:22 pm

TSupps05 wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:16 pm
A few years ago Rochow was one of the best 2nd rowers in the game and Newcastle were throwing everything at him to stay with them, but he got a few injuries changed clubs and had gone oof the radar. Personally i really like him and he is a REAL smokey for round 1.
I wouldn’t go that far, but he was very solid.

Red88 Tiger

Post by Red88 Tiger » Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:36 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:22 pm
TSupps05 wrote:
Sun 18 Feb, 2018 9:16 pm
I wouldn’t go that far, but he was very solid.
Worked with a bloke a few years ago who went to school with rochow. Said he was fairly grounded and easy to talk to. About the time he was going great guns at newcastle.

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 2:47 pm

Well if Gamble wants to play first grade he's either going to have to play halfback or fullback. No chance of Reynolds being moved in the next couple of years. If Gamble has a good short and long kicking game and kicks goals then why not play him at halfback. Not much different these days, and both playmakers will float around the pitch in any case.

Bob

Post by Bob » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 3:10 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 2:47 pm
Well if Gamble wants to play first grade he's either going to have to play halfback or fullback. No chance of Reynolds being moved in the next couple of years. If Gamble has a good short and long kicking game and kicks goals then why not play him at halfback. Not much different these days, and both playmakers will float around the pitch in any case.
Was gamble a 7 at dolphins with Benji the 6?

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 4:41 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 19 Feb, 2018 2:47 pm
No chance? Ivan has already spoken to Reynolds about playing hooker. Thats even before he's played a game at 6 for us. So dont be so sure Reynolds is a lock down for five eighth. He will start the year there, but Ivan appears open to changing it if its best for the team.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:06 pm

I can see Benji starting on the bench and coming on and shifting Reynolds to hooker for a stint.
While Benji is on i can see Reynolds Benji and Tui combining back through the middle off the back of quick ptb with short passes and speed

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Mon 19 Feb, 2018 5:07 pm

Anyone who thinks that Brooks short kicking game was bad needs to realise that it was hindered by 6 metre ingoals. The commentator says it midway through the first half. Wait until there's actually reasonably sized ingoals before we truly have an indication on his kicking game.