Bee-Em

Re: Tiger Thompson trumps Lolohea for fullback spot

Post by Bee-Em » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 1:18 pm

Smoke and mirrors by the coach??

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Tue 27 Feb, 2018 1:48 pm

Isn't very trim, but surely could still be aerobically fit enough and strong enough with his current body shape?

I'm with happy I just assumed it was positional play and decision making, combined with the fact that another guy is ticking all the boxes.

I hope Tui and Thomson are both there and wouldn't mind seeing them switching.

Tiger_Pete

Post by Tiger_Pete » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 2:28 pm

From NRL.com

Tui hasn't shed enough kilos

The Wests Tigers had every intention of starting the season with Tuimoala Lolohea at fullback, however the Tongan international struggled to meet one of the club's key demands.

Coach Ivan Cleary wanted Lolohea to drop a certain amount of kilograms before the start of the Telstra Premiership, however he's been unable to shed enough weight to meet those requirements and it's expected Corey Thompson will wear the No.1 jersey against the Sydney Roosters in round one next Saturday at ANZ Stadium.

When Lolohea arrived at the club midway through last year he admitted he was carrying far too much weight and started to show glimpses of brilliance towards the end of the season when he had trimmed down somewhat.

The problem for the Tigers, and a host of other clubs for that matter, is that many players ballooned during the World Cup.

Clubs were very frustrated, particularly with Tonga and Samoa, when their players returned to pre-season training way out of shape.

It's a problem Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart had to confront when Joey Leilua, Junior Paulo and Josh Papalii returned from World Cup duties with Samoa looking like they'd been holidaying on a beach for six weeks.

The Rugby League Players Association is well aware of the clubs' frustrations and the impact it is having on players.

The RLPA is looking at ways to work with the second-tier nations to ensure they appease the teams now concerned about releasing players on international duty.

The rugby league workload and balance committee – which features NRL head of football Brian Canavan and RLPA general manager of player relations Clint Newtown – has been discussing ways to mitigate some of the issues that arose during the World Cup.

Lolohea isn't out of favour at the Wests Tigers but Cleary has a set of standards and won't let them drop, even if it weakens his team.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 3:14 pm

ku5tom wrote:
Tue 27 Feb, 2018 1:04 pm
Wasn't Tui one of the last to come to preseason training because of the world cup, maybe his discipline wasn't that great during those big Tongan parties
He was the first one of our rep players to come back to training. He came back just before Christmas while everyone else came back after Christmas.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 3:17 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 27 Feb, 2018 9:39 am
Why do we have all these strenghth/conditioning/fitness trainers and wtf have they been doing?
You can make Tui run in circles all day but, if he isn't eating right he won't lose any weight. The Tigers can't force him to eat healthy.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.

Needaname

Post by Needaname » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 6:27 pm

I don’t believe his been undisciplined. His a big set boy and the size or weight Cleary expects him to be at I would guess Tui would never had been since he was a kid.
Teddy plays at 95,96kg and doesn’t have as big of legs but has a very large upper body. In saying that though I was concerned that after pre season Tui was listed at 94kg. His done remarkably well to get down from 99kg when he started with us and his fitness improved last year as we went deeper into the season.
NRL dot com are just writing an article based on assumptions with no quotes but it doesn’t mean it’s not true.
Last week I watched both the Cup trial and the NRL trial and noticed a remarkable difference in the work and miles Corey covered in comparison to both games.
I won’t say Tui looked disinterested but he played like he was reserving energy for something to come.
If it was me I would have killed myself in that trial to the point of falling over and not being able to finish the game compared to what Tui did which was pace his way through.
Thompson looked in the NRL trial like I thought Tui should of in the reserve grade.
Bad news is Tui will not be in first grade for a while.
The good news is we’ve got a coach that will help him work his way through to that level required and won’t give in easily.
Both of those good and bad points will only serve to benefit us in the later end of the season.
Finally Tui no longer has to worry about RTS taking his job, now he just has to worry about beating Thompson to the role so his probably feeling a bit better about the task ahead.

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 7:11 pm

If true, I'm certainly pleased with that. Setting the standard, building the culture. That's what we need.
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

bp tiger

Post by bp tiger » Wed 28 Feb, 2018 7:24 pm

i then hope that also applies to josh, because of what i have seen he has been bloody awful, his passing is about under 10s standard.

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 4:50 am

I think we need to put faith in Cleary that he expect certain standards in the club and if you don't meet these standards then don't expect to play NRL.

The balls in Tui's court to work hard on the weight and fitness and come back a better player. He is talented but sometimes talent is no enough at the elite level.

I am expecting Thompson to be our fullback come Round 1

Earl

Post by Earl » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 7:12 am

bp tiger wrote:
Wed 28 Feb, 2018 7:24 pm
i then hope that also applies to josh, because of what i have seen he has been bloody awful, his passing is about under 10s standard.
Some of his passes have been so bad haven't they. On the attack in the 20 metre zone and I'll throw the ball 50 metres behind everyone.

He tries hard and his defence is decent but geez we need better than that.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:11 am

Earl wrote:
Thu 01 Mar, 2018 7:12 am
bp tiger wrote:
Wed 28 Feb, 2018 7:24 pm
Some of his passes have been so bad haven't they. On the attack in the 20 metre zone and I'll throw the ball 50 metres behind everyone.

He tries hard and his defence is decent but geez we need better than that.
He just looks anxious to die with the ball. Over enthusiasm, charges to the line, stops and looks and then throws a hail mary. When he runs he should just take the hit and work on a quick ptb

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:12 am

Masterton wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 12:04 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Sun 25 Feb, 2018 11:56 am
The run near the end of the match was class.
It was, but I wish he'd made more effort to look for a pass near the end.
There was no one there to pass it to :bash

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm

It was really really hot out there at Campbelltown in the State Cup. I looked at Tui and figured this was Clearys way to shake him up a bit. 80 minutes in the heat with not much help talent wise.

it didnt feel permanent felt like a kick up the rear end that you give a player before you pick them in round 1
Its an opinion!