NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Referees and commentators

Post by jadtiger » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 9:28 am

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 14 Apr, 2018 8:26 am
Slater is milking the stupid rule. You cna hate Slater but people would cheer if Benji pulled a penalty like that.

As for the quick tap. I hate it, absolutely hate it. it needs to be taken out of the game as its just rubbish and the refs interpretation of it is ruining good games.

The defense need time to be able to get back onside.
Agreed. the quick tap is so subjective and usually allowed for the favoured players/teams only

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 9:47 am

I can't stand penalty goals. 9 games out 10 these days, the first scoring play is a penalty goal. Then 5 minutes later the other team is on the attack, they get a penalty and they take the penalty goal as well to make it 2-2. Because its so important to get back level at that point of the game. Drives me mad.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 14 Apr, 2018 10:13 am

krayola wrote:
Sat 14 Apr, 2018 9:25 am
The Patriot wrote:
Slater is milking the stupid rule. You cna hate Slater but people would cheer if Benji pulled a penalty like that.

As for the quick tap. I hate it, absolutely hate it. it needs to be taken out of the game as its just rubbish and the refs interpretation of it is ruining good games.

Totally agree on the quick tap. The ruling is never consistent and it goes unexplained when it’s disallowed.
yep...this.

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 8:24 am

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but Brent Tate really shouldnt be allowed anywhere near an interviewers mic again. My God, if you can't interview a mate in the sport you know inside out, then you really should chuck it in. He makes Finchy and dare I say even Scott Prince look like academics

MightyMaggy

Post by MightyMaggy » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 9:49 am

tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 4:32 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 1:38 pm
tig_prmz wrote:
Sat 31 Mar, 2018 1:25 pm
said the same thing in another thread

i love hearing opinions of sterlo, johns, gould, fittler etc but they need to give them in their coulumns, footy shows etc not while the game is going on.
Why?
If It's relevant to the game they're calling I don't see a problem.
What I have a Problem with is Rabs talking about MKR and Gus babbling on about which direction Grrystanes is
there's more to the game than refs calls.
cameras should point to the exact person who was offside and how much by.
commentators giving opinions as the play is going on influences you as a viewer- i bet you in 1-2 weeks the same people will commend the NRL for sticking to it. commentators should be adding to the theatrical of NRL, talk about tactics, talk about a good line break, a good tackle, the winger who came in 30m off his sideline to take some pressure off his forwards etc. plenttyyy more to talk about than trying to blame refs for pulling up players who do the wrong thing
X5
.......AND, PLEASE call/identify the player in the action. All of the TV stations forget that there are many people (NOT ME) watching the game, who have defective sight. If you watch English soccer, their commentary includes .... Smith.. Jones.. Brown, when that player has the ball. Some of this would be better than some ex-player reminiscing on some aspect of their playing days, which were long before many of the viewers were born!

Russell

Post by Russell » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:24 am

Just get the people asking a question a microphone for God's sake.

I am tired of guessing what the question is.

OR are they trying out a new reality show "Guess the question"

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sun 15 Apr, 2018 10:50 am

jadtiger wrote:
Sat 14 Apr, 2018 9:28 am
The Patriot wrote:

Agreed. the quick tap is so subjective and usually allowed for the favoured players/teams only
I actually think it's policed ok. You can't take a quick tap when any of your team are in front of you, also not if the ref calls a stoppage like an injury, to warn a captain, to bin someone. The ref must also award the mark first, so the player can't just assume where the mark is.

You can't take a quick tap within 10m of the opponent's line.

You can't take a quick tap off a 10m offside penalty. I think that's the only penalty type that is excluded. Perhaps scrum penalties too, on the latter I'm not sure actually.

Why take it out though? It's an advantage to the attacking side and it makes for interesting play, i.e. not always going for touch.