Should Brooks be NSW 7?

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Re: Should Brooks be NSW 7?

Post by willow » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 2:53 pm

Tiger Brooks reminds fans he's still a cub, but certainly not a novice
By Scott Bailey 16 April 2018 — 7:42pm

Luke Brooks has cause to issue a reminder to NRL fans: please remember he’s still only 23. "I’ve been playing a few seasons so maybe they forget," he said. It’s hard to believe but after making his NRL debut in 2013, Brooks is still one of the youngest halfbacks in the competition. After five years riding the rollercoaster of future NRL superstar, the next Andrew Johns and then apparent wasted talent, Brooks is beginning to deliver on his potential. Sunday’s performance in the win over Manly was arguably the best of his career – or at least since his famous debut against St George Illawarra at the SCG.

He had a hand in setting up three tries, scored one himself and forced three goal-line dropouts as the Tigers controlled the game and possession. In fact, Brooks has already forced as many dropouts this year as he did in all 2017, prompting coach Ivan Cleary to declare he should be in the Origin conversation. "It’s always going to be tough as a teenager coming in. You’ve got to learn a lot," Brooks said. "And I think over the past few years I have learned a lot. You see with a lot of halves they don’t hit their straps until their late 20s. "I think halfback is a tough position to learn. Learning from losses helps. And in the past few years we’ve had a lot of those.

Under Cleary and with Benji Marshall back by his side for the first time since his first game, those lessons are paying off.
Once renowned as one of the best ball-running teenage halves, Brooks has gone back to taking the line on again. He’s made more runs, had more line breaks and trails only Shaun Johnson and Daly Cherry-Evans for the most tackle busts of the NRL’s No.7s. Brooks has made serious changes off the field as well. Maligned for so long about an apparent inability to deliver on his potential, Brooks says he has switched off the TV talk shows and the pressure he felt has seemingly vanished with them.

Fade To Black

Post by Fade To Black » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 4:59 pm

Cooper says no (sounds like the skit off Little Britain).
Cronk wants Brooks to show his value over a year or more and making finàls :brick: before being considered. Fair enough, but still a bit rich coming from a bloke who found his NRL feet in a club rorting the system....wonder if Coopy would of got a gig in rep teams if he was plodding along in a rule-abiding dud club in his formative years? Probably not.
Keep bringing the goods for WT Brooksy, your time in the sun will come after that.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 5:12 pm

I agree with Cronk.
A few good games doesn't make a SOO half back.
I hope he does make it into the NSW side, but I don't think he is ready yet.

westTAHger

Post by westTAHger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 5:16 pm

Nelson wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 4:31 pm
westTAHger wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 3:54 pm
No for origin. James Maloney and Brett Hodgkinson, would be better suited for NSW halves.

This may appear to be selfish, don't care, he Luke Brooks is needed at wests tigers.
Is that the bastard son of Brett Hodgson and Trent Hodkinson or something?
yes sure is..... :lol: :lol:
I realised I type wrong name for Trent... :brick: but for some reason didn't change it....
Basil, our rescue dog, is wondering when wests tigers will win 25 - 18 :D

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 7:48 am

teddy23 wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 2:17 pm
How people are saying Blake Green is beyond me

And then using the excuse for Brooks that he can’t be picked on 6 good games

That same excuse falls into Green just as much
Rubbish. Green was good for Manly last year too. ( Not that im suggesting Green be picked). Listen to Mitch Pearce, he has always struggled for NSW and freely admits to being picked too early. We're not talking about coming into a side that has won so many series out of the last 11 or 12, we are talking about a side and state that is desperate, and that brings enormous pressure on the halfback and 5/8. Pressure that would be unfair to place on Brooks at this point in his career given what he has achieved thus far.

teddy23

Post by teddy23 » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:26 am

Furious1 wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 7:48 am
teddy23 wrote:

Rubbish. Green was good for Manly last year too. ( Not that im suggesting Green be picked). Listen to Mitch Pearce, he has always struggled for NSW and freely admits to being picked too early. We're not talking about coming into a side that has won so many series out of the last 11 or 12, we are talking about a side and state that is desperate, and that brings enormous pressure on the halfback and 5/8. Pressure that would be unfair to place on Brooks at this point in his career given what he has achieved thus far.
Blake Green was nowhere near good enough for origin contention, but then plays 5-6 good games and all of a sudden should be picked

You’d be silly to say otherwise

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:34 am

It's more about combos. I think you have to pick Maloney at 7. At this stage it would be what six is best next to him.
I don't think Maloney and Brooks would work. Similar to Maloney and Cleary hasn't been that good.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:40 am

teddy23 wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:26 am
Furious1 wrote:
teddy23 wrote:

Blake Green was nowhere near good enough for origin contention, but then plays 5-6 good games and all of a sudden should be picked

Read my post again. Not sure where i said he should be picked for Origin. But for you to suggest Green has only had 5 or 6 good games is absolute crap.

teddy23

Post by teddy23 » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:44 am

Furious1 wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:40 am
teddy23 wrote:
Furious1 wrote:
teddy23 wrote:

Read my post again. Not sure where i said he should be picked for Origin. But for you to suggest Green has only had 5 or 6 good games is absolute crap.
Well then you must’ve read my post wrong at the start, I was referring to Green playing 5-6 good games and all of a sudden should be picked

Never said he was bad beforehand but certainly no where near good enough to be talked about as an origin bolter

I still don’t rate the kid..... just my opinion anyway

When the Warriors hit that form slump they usually do you’ll agree with me when he goes missing

WestsBenTigers

Post by WestsBenTigers » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:49 am

Tigerdon wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:34 am
It's more about combos. I think you have to pick Maloney at 7. At this stage it would be what six is best next to him.
I don't think Maloney and Brooks would work. Similar to Maloney and Cleary hasn't been that good.
Well here are all the options in order if I was the selector:

6. Maloney
7. Brooks

6. Keary
7. Maloney

6. Green
7. Maloney

6. Gutherson
7. Maloney

6. Peachey
7. Maloney

6. Bird
7. Maloney

6. Maloney
7. Pearce

6. Moylan
7. Maloney

Furious1

Post by Furious1 » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:52 am

teddy23 wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:44 am
Furious1 wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 10:40 am
teddy23 wrote:
Furious1 wrote:

Well then you must’ve read my post wrong at the start, I was referring to Green playing 5-6 good games and all of a sudden should be picked

Never said he was bad beforehand but certainly no where near good enough to be talked about as an origin bolter

I still don’t rate the kid..... just my opinion anyway

When the Warriors hit that form slump they usually do you’ll agree with me when he goes missing
All good my man, we shall see.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 2:35 pm

I don't mind Joeys choice of Bird and Maloney.
There's not a great deal out there after Maloney .

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 2:42 pm

gallagher wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 2:35 pm
I don't mind Joeys choice of Bird and Maloney.
There's not a great deal out there after Maloney .
I don't mind that if Bird's form continues to improve.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...