Looking for an article

Wests Tigers Discussion
Tigerdon

Re: Looking for an article

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:29 pm

I don't think you can pin dealings player managers (such as Isaac Moses) on her.
Isn't it the GM, Coaching staffs and recruitment that deal with player managers.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:30 pm

hammertime wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 10:29 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:30 pm
hammertime wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:04 pm
I've been supportive of management, but this is a silly article. It makes people look backwards, rather than forwards. Nrl360 just spent 10 minutes bashing the Tigers again.

I hope it's the last one... let's look forward Pascoe and go. Please
“Stability can’t be underestimated. We’ve got to a position where we’ve created organisational change. It should facilitate sustainable success.

“The relationship Ivan and I have on and off the field is­­ ­friggin’ invaluable.

“Our journey is not done with yet. We are not the ­finished product.”
That's a 1/5th of the article mate.
Yep...
Past, present, future

BubbaKennedy

Post by BubbaKennedy » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:47 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 12:29 pm
I don't think you can pin dealings player managers (such as Isaac Moses) on her.
Isn't it the GM, Coaching staffs and recruitment that deal with player managers.
100% , also don’t forget previous administration did all the backended contracts that stuffed us for a few years as to spending on the squad, we were in the same position Canterbury is today.

I remember the board saying that it would take a few years to sort through and we now have depth in our squad as we took the pain of the salary cap mismanagement for a few years.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 1:02 pm

Just watched the Tigers snippet on 360.
This was my take on it.
Ben Ikin asked, How do you think WestsTigers management is going now? To Buzz and Kent. Kent was reluctant to say a good word. Still does think Go is doing a good job. Buzz said he was briefly going to lift his ban on not talking about Go and was a sheepish in saying if she brought in Pascoe then Cleary then that's good.
Then Ikin asked, what about on the field, Kent said he didn't think it would last because it's all high energy efforts, which will fade.
Buzz though we'd go ok during SOO because only Brooks is an outside chance but no one else.

mctiger

Post by mctiger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 1:30 pm

I spoke to Marina Go at the Melbourne game members function a few weeks ago. She was open about her dealings with Rothfield and was very impressive in how she came across. She knows she is the Chair we need at the moment but in time she will move on and let someone else take us forward. She said she hadn't even met Rothfield when he wrote that she was one of the worst things in Rugby League some time back. To me, she is a big part of the reason that our off field is looking so strong with talk of being profitable in the next couple of years.

I found this response she wrote late last year to a Rothfield article. It's long but provides a good insight into what she is about......:

https://womensagenda.com.au/latest/mari ... apologise/

"As Chair of Rugby League club the Wests Tigers, Marina Go often sees her name in print. A former journalist and media executive, she also knows the importance of setting the record straight.

A couple of weeks ago, I was about to board a plane for Sydney when I received a phone call from a journalist.

“Why do you keep annoying Buzz?” the journalist asked with a laugh.

I had no idea what he was talking about.

“Surely you read the article in Sunday’s paper?” he asked.

No. I didn’t read the article by The Sunday Telegraph’s Phil (Buzz) Rothfield.

“It’s about the email that you sent to the Chairmen,” he offered.

Of course it was. Why didn’t I get that immediately. When I wrote that private email to the Chairmen of the 16 NRL clubs, I did ask myself if I would be happy to see that published in a newspaper – because the chances of it being leaked to the newspaper were high. And clearly I wasn’t to be disappointed.

“Thanks for letting me know. Leave it with me,” I replied.

When the flight landed, I headed to a scheduled meeting with the Wests Tigers board and we had a conversation about the article and the email, and the factual differences between the two. The lawyer on our board had seen the article, most of the other directors were unaware of it.

Just to explain, I’m Chair of the Wests Tigers NRL Club and the Independent Commission’s constitution is undergoing reform to include two appointees chosen by the 16 clubs, among other changes.

The idea is to have at least two people on the commission who have some experience of running a rugby league club. Following an email about this that I sent to the 16 club Chairmen on November 14, an article was published in The Sunday Telegraph on November 19 stating that I didn’t have a high opinion of four business leaders, which couldn’t be further from the truth. All are successful people who would be brilliant for the game of rugby league. One of the four leaders mentioned by Rothfield would make an excellent club-appointed commissioner once his tenure as a club Chair ends this year.

I sent a copy of the email that I had sent to the Chairmen to our Company Secretary, CEO and the director with a legal background. Now usually I wouldn’t care what this particular journalist writes about me. Far worse has been written about me in the past by this journalist and although I have kept every one of those articles for another day, I have chosen not to give his articles oxygen. In this case we determined that it wasn’t ideal for three business people to believe that I didn’t think they were capable of being rugby league commissioners. There were four names mentioned in the article but one of them was also one of the Chairmen who received the original email so I knew that he would see the inaccuracy in the article – especially considering that I had already mentioned to him that I thought he would make a great club-appointed commissioner. I could easily contact each of the others to correct the inaccuracy, which I subsequently did.

The Sunday Telegraph refused to agree to publish a correction. They argued that the facts in the article were not inaccurate. I have published my email here for you to judge.

My email:

Subject: Re: Constitutional reform

Thanks for the time and effort that you have put into achieving this outcome Nick.

Is it worth reminding the clubs of the original purpose for club appointed commissioners? My understanding is that the intent originated from frustration that the commission lacked an understanding of the challenges and opportunities in Club land and therefore strategies not aligned.

It would be good to remember that when deciding on our club appointees. Most of the names currently being thrown around by the media do not have that key skill set.

Marina

Buzz Rothfield’s article about my emai (you will need to click the link to see the article) - https://womensagenda.com.au/latest/mari ... apologise/:

The email that I sent was in response to an email sent to all 16 Chairmen by South Sydney Chair Nick Pappas. Nick’s email served to update the group on where we had landed with regard to constitutional reform. We had been working on this for more than a year. It’s no secret that my club was one of the half dozen or so clubs that moved to agree to constitutional reform with some trepidation.

My main concern, as Chair of the Wests Tigers, was that without the correct control mechanisms, the independent commission could become a slave to board factions. I needed an assurance on behalf of my club, as did others, that we were changing the constitution for the right reasons, ie. to improve the game by ensuring that we get the right skill sets on the board. I had been told stories of power struggles and warring clubs that were apparently in the past due to the installment of an independent commission. But I had also been finally convinced that it was imperative to have directors on the commission who understand the challenges, and potential opportunities, of running a rugby league club, given that almost all of the clubs do not turn a profit. So we had all finally agreed that the commission would benefit from two club-appointed directors.

As a non-executive director of a number of commercial boards and one of only two female club Chairs in the NRL, I understand the need for diversity and diverse skill sets on boards. The Australian Rugby League Commission boasts some clever business people but no one who has experienced the tough reality of trying to run a profitable business in club land.

So my email in response to the one sent to the group by Nick Pappas refers to that – and if Phil Rothfield had contacted me to ask he would have known that. As I stated earlier, I had to stop to consider how comfortable I would be if the email was published in a newspaper. Unlike the rest of the chairmen this is something that I have to consider every time I send an email to the group.

I also considered not sending it, knowing that this could happen. But I had a very real concern that we would finish up with a collection of nominees who didn’t have the experience that I was led to believe that the sport so desperately needed – that of having run a rugby league club. And I wouldn’t be doing my job as the representative of a stakeholder in this sport if I didn’t speak up about this. I take my role as a club Chair in this sport seriously and part of the role is to help grow and improve the game. You can’t do that if you fear retribution every time you open your mouth or send an email. This is not the first time that an email that I sent to the Chairmen’s group was leaked to the media.

A number of the Chairmen sent me messages, mostly private, agreeing with the point that I made in the email. If the journalist had any confusion or concern with any part of the email that was leaked then a phone call to me would have clarified it. I didn’t receive a single phone call from the newspaper that wrote the inaccurate article.

No doubt such treatment would cause others to be silent. Well-meaning rugby league types have advised me to “keep my head down” and all of this will go away. They would no doubt be horrified that I am seeking to correct the facts. But it’s not in my DNA to be silent about the things that matter. And the governance of this sport matters.

Rugby league is a sport that is loved by millions of Australians, from all parts of the country and from all backgrounds. It is community based and it matters in the lives of our fans. Those of us charged with the responsibility of running the sport are accountable for its growth and prosperity.

I have requested that the next meeting of this group adopt Chatham House rules. You will know pretty soon if that doesn’t happen."

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:49 pm

The Queen wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:28 am
southerntiger wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:32 pm
BubbaKennedy wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:51 pm
Also found it interesting watching Buzz Rothfield and Paul Kent forced to say good things about the club, they still wouldn’t give Marina Go any credit .... sighting other board members as the reason.
Quite incredible isn't it. How they are still attacking her is beyond me. Only conclusion is that it has something to do with her gender. Which other club chairs have they talked about in the last 18 months?
How does it have anything to do with gender thats a weak comment they just dont like her she was head of the board since September 2014 a lot of bad things have happen under her watch and dealing with that thing Isaac Moses i think thats where a lot of problems started but she has done a lot of good as well i dont mind if they bash her up if she overseas bad times but what i dont like is that they dont give her credit for the good things thats just wrong But Buzz has hated the Tigers since Tim Sheens was here Tim would not let Buzz into the dressing room after the games and the best thing she has done is rubber stamp Justin Pascoe to be CEO

When the NRL put the board together for the Tigers the biggest mistake made was not enough football smarts on the board to much corporate side of things but now the board has learnt a lot so good times ahead for the football side of things and the corporate side of things

The NRL now just have to move East to Perth they produce very little for the NRL they buy there players and few to many juniors let Souths take over the area call them the Perth Cock or cocks it may refer to: Cock (bird) or something else and all will be good
If you want to believe her treatment has nothing to do with gender, thats a matter for you.

Name one other club Chair that has been routinely attacked over a period of three year years under which the finances of the clin have improved?

Of course, you will not be able to.

I suspect you will not even be able to name the three Chairs of the Wests Tigers prior to Marina, without googling it. All of whom were in charges between 2008-2012 when the club became a basket case financially.

If you dont think these old buffoons (Kent and Rothfield) arent trying to protect an old boys club that created jobs for unqualified ex-footy players, you are deluding yourself.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 7:58 pm

Kent and Rothfield always said good things about Raelene Castle when she was in charge of Canterbury and last time i checked she was a women Rothfield also said many times that she should have Todd Greenbergs job and said she would do a better job then him

I am sorry for hitting a nerve with you

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 7:59 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 6:49 pm
The Queen wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:28 am
southerntiger wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 9:32 pm
BubbaKennedy wrote:
Mon 16 Apr, 2018 8:51 pm
Also found it interesting watching Buzz Rothfield and Paul Kent forced to say good things about the club, they still wouldn’t give Marina Go any credit .... sighting other board members as the reason.
Quite incredible isn't it. How they are still attacking her is beyond me. Only conclusion is that it has something to do with her gender. Which other club chairs have they talked about in the last 18 months?
How does it have anything to do with gender thats a weak comment they just dont like her she was head of the board since September 2014 a lot of bad things have happen under her watch and dealing with that thing Isaac Moses i think thats where a lot of problems started but she has done a lot of good as well i dont mind if they bash her up if she overseas bad times but what i dont like is that they dont give her credit for the good things thats just wrong But Buzz has hated the Tigers since Tim Sheens was here Tim would not let Buzz into the dressing room after the games and the best thing she has done is rubber stamp Justin Pascoe to be CEO

When the NRL put the board together for the Tigers the biggest mistake made was not enough football smarts on the board to much corporate side of things but now the board has learnt a lot so good times ahead for the football side of things and the corporate side of things

The NRL now just have to move East to Perth they produce very little for the NRL they buy there players and few to many juniors let Souths take over the area call them the Perth Cock or cocks it may refer to: Cock (bird) or something else and all will be good
If you want to believe her treatment has nothing to do with gender, thats a matter for you.

Name one other club Chair that has been routinely attacked over a period of three year years under which the finances of the clin have improved?

Of course, you will not be able to.

I suspect you will not even be able to name the three Chairs of the Wests Tigers prior to Marina, without googling it. All of whom were in charges between 2008-2012 when the club became a basket case financially.

If you dont think these old buffoons (Kent and Rothfield) arent trying to protect an old boys club that created jobs for unqualified ex-footy players, you are deluding yourself.

Kent and Rothfield always said good things about Raelene Castle when she was in charge of Canterbury and last time i checked she was a women Rothfield also said many times that she should have Todd Greenbergs job and said she would do a better job then him

I am sorry for hitting a nerve with you

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:04 pm

Just because you dont like someone or something dont fall back into the weak argument of blaming Sex age religion or skin colour people can just disagree and not like each other its part of being human

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:05 pm

queens love the buzz.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:10 pm

Tigerdon wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:05 pm
queens love the buzz.
I dislike Buzz i really do and he attacks my beloved Tigers unfairly and i would consider running him over with my car but some people just love to hate and he hates the Tigers with a passion but thats life but to say he discriminates against women is unfair and untrue

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:33 pm

The Queen wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:04 pm
Just because you dont like someone or something dont fall back into the weak argument of blaming Sex age religion or skin colour people can just disagree and not like each other its part of being human
Okay. So A three year campaign against the only female club Chair that over a period in which the club finances have improved has nothing to do with sex hmmmmm.

Perhaps the reason why Raelene was not criticised because she chose not the upset the boys club, whereas Marina has rightly called out some of the rubbish thrown at her.

You did not hit a nerve with me mate. Sure, I think they are both grubs of human beings who have done substantial harm to the game over the last 20 years, but I am all good.

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:46 pm

Buzz hatred of the Tigers goes way back long before Marina Go came to the Tigers and I think her business smarts will help the Tigers so much having a different few then other clubs and that Isaac Moses has done a lot of damage to the Tigers that people either don't know about or don't want to talk about

I was on a NRL forum last year and people where bashing the Tigers and I defended the Tigers saying about great crowd numbers good corporate sponsorship and how the Tigers producer juniors but they just want to spin B/S and say bad things about the club I love and a lot of it comes from Buzz but that's life

The Queen

Post by The Queen » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:54 pm

southerntiger wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:33 pm
The Queen wrote:
Okay. So A three year campaign against the only female club Chair that over a period in which the club finances have improved has nothing to do with sex hmmmmm.

Perhaps the reason why Raelene was not criticised because she chose not the upset the boys club, whereas Marina has rightly called out some of the rubbish thrown at her.

You did not hit a nerve with me mate. Sure, I think they are both grubs of human beings who have done substantial harm to the game over the last 20 years, but I am all good.

The problem with today's society is that when ever people don't like something or it's to hard or they can not deal with it they need to make an excuse to deal with a problem they need to be a victim to lessen the blow it's not me it's them or it's because I am gay or black or a women or they don't like my religion

Masterton

Post by Masterton » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:01 pm

The Queen wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:54 pm
southerntiger wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:33 pm
The Queen wrote:

The problem with today's society is that when ever people don't like something or it's to hard or they can not deal with it they need to make an excuse to deal with a problem they need to be a victim to lessen the blow it's not me it's them or it's because I am gay or black or a women or they don't like my religion
OTOH, sometimes it's true.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."