WOULD IZZY ADD VALUE TO WESTS TIGERS

User avatar
DonnyBrasco
Member
Member
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:23 pm

Re: WOULD IZZY ADD VALUE TO WESTS TIGERS

Post by DonnyBrasco » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:49 pm

Go You Good Things wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:48 pm
momo&medo wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 3:10 pm
Let’s stick to football.
I may not agree with his religious views but in the end it’s his opinion .
He would be a great addition to our team however I don’t think it will not happen because he is too expensive and he is managed by Isaac Moses.
Mate, we could have saved a lot of typing if the thread title lead with . . . " MANAGED BY ISAAC MOSES" :idea:
That would've turned us all away. The left, right, straight, gay, fluid, solid, all of us !
You just saved me five pages :lol:
Tigers for 2022!


User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1996
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:54 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:39 am
cktiger wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:23 am
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 9:13 am
weststigers wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:35 am


We have a number of fiercely religious guys in our team.

It's likely some will hold the same views as Izzy.

You're living under a rock if you think that everyone is love and mung beans when it comes to this topic.

To say Folau is a DH for expressing a view is the same of saying you're a DH for expressing your view isn't it?

Let's keep politics out of sport....
Folau was the one who brought it up himself, he's brought the politics into the sporting sphere himself and is a DH for doing so. He's entitled to his views, but as has been said on here before, he doesn't work for himself alone, he has an employer who has a public image linked to financial outcomes, and he is damaging that brand.

So Izzy is a DH because he puts himself first, cannot help but make public statements condemning certain lifestyles and generally hasn't learned to pull his stupid head in.

Plenty of Christians in our team as you note, who don't force their views or opinions into the public sphere. Also plenty of Christians who don't privately condemn homosexuals - it isn't all or nothing.
He was asked a question and gave his honest opinion.
I can't see how that is forcing his opinion on the public .... unlike the sponsors of his code.
It's funny how people spout inclusiveness yet are happy to condemn anyone who doesn't agree with their views.
He was asked his opinion on instagram and he doesn't have to respond.

Smart folks say "no comment" or just don't engage with every troll who throws up a topical question.

What he in fact said is that homosexuals are going to hell. Not just "my religion teaches that homosexuality is immoral" or some such, they are going to hell.

Now imagine if Izzy had said "All Jews are going to hell, also black people. All babies born out of wedlock are going to hell and all adulterers and divorcees also." That may still in fact be his opinion.

What happens if Paul Gallen comes out tomorrow and says "I've always hated Polynesians, they smell like coconuts and I can't stand being anywhere near them".

All opinions, nothing expressly illegal. But not smart public commentary.

Sponsors are allowed to force opinions. They pay money for that right, they purchase the air time and the jersey space.

You miss the point totally, the rugby administration is not condemning him for his views, they are concerned about the damage he is doing to their brand, as an employee. And Folau doesn't seem to care, they've tried to be quiet about it and have some meetings to discuss how he might make his controversial opinions less public, and he won't do it. You don't want that crap in a football side, it's Jarryd Hayne all over again, player not just bigger than the team, but bigger than the code.

BTW he didn't just say homosexuals were going to hell, he ended up in an interview quoting the whole verse:
the sexually immoral
idolaters
adulterers
thieves
the greedy
drunkards
revilers
swindlers

all going to hell in a handbasket.
Jesus, I’m stuffed!
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

User avatar
wmlmaster
Member
Member
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun 17 Jul, 2016 9:37 pm

Post by wmlmaster » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:58 pm

I want him just for his views and his beliefs but unfortunately for him I like the direction Ivan has taken with the “no big names” approach

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6106
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:04 pm

trumper wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:17 pm
Personally I couldn't care less which god he believes in.

Considering the public stance of the ARU towards being inclusive of homosexuals, the fact that the CEO of the major sponsor of the Wallabies is an open homosexual, and also the clear desire of the ailing ARU not to upset him; Folau has revealed that he is either too stupid, too stubborn or too convinced of his own importance to follow the game plan.

For me that is enough not to want him anywhere near my football team - a team which has, despite the sidelining of their highest-paid and most famous player, continued to succeed with the attitude that if a man falls in the front line, there is a willing and able man there to replace him.

Look at how Hayne derailed not only the Gold Coast but also Neil Henry in 2017.
Perfectly said.

All gays are going to hell and the CEO of your major sponsor is one of them. What a clever thing to say. Wait - "God made me do it".

User avatar
WT2K
Member
Member
Posts: 4130
Joined: Thu 04 May, 2017 5:18 pm

Post by WT2K » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:05 pm

Before the season started I would have said yes but I like the no frills name approach to our recruitment
No more plodders!
:sign:


Eddie
Member
Member
Posts: 3574
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:05 pm

Post by Eddie » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:18 pm

I would be a bit wary of any player that has spend so long in Union and AFL.

I would rather go after a fullback who has been in the game the past few years and is on the rise.

trumper
Member
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 6:50 pm

Post by trumper » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:18 pm

(edited...double post)
Last edited by trumper on Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trumper
Member
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 6:50 pm

Post by trumper » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:22 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:04 pm

Perfectly said.

All gays are going to hell and the CEO of your major sponsor is one of them. What a clever thing to say. Wait - "God made me do it".
Good point.

The man already has a shabby excuse prepared.

Tell Moses to let Israel part the Red Vee instead.

trumper
Member
Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 6:50 pm

Post by trumper » Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:26 pm

Eddie wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:18 pm
I would be a bit wary of any player that has spend so long in Union and AFL.

I would rather go after a fullback who has been in the game the past few years and is on the rise.
There's this cheap fullback running around in the NRL with a winning team.

From what I've seen he follows the ball like a hawk, scores when he has no right and puts his body on the line when defending.

His name is Corey Thompson

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 2109
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by larrycorowa » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:58 am

He has criticised the ceo of rugby. The guy has nfi what is going on and is totally disrespectful of his employers. I would be tearing his contract up and saying thx and good luck.

magpiecol
Member
Member
Posts: 3219
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 3:02 pm

Post by magpiecol » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:08 pm

He is perfectly entitled to his opinion as you are to yours.

It's called "free speech ".

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6106
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:24 pm

magpiecol wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:08 pm
He is perfectly entitled to his opinion as you are to yours.

It's called "free speech ".
Cmon Col don't start this again.

99.9% of people on here agree he has a right to express himself however he likes = free speech. Nobody is stopping Folau. But there are consequences to free speech, and we appear 50/50 whether those consequences are fair or not.

Turns out ARU are doing nothing, no sanctions, nothing towards Folau so actually he's not been persecuted in any fashion, they just had a chat to him about his social media output.

If he wasn't the footballer he is, I expect there'd be a different result, so shows once again that football talent trumps everything else.

I wonder what anyone who thinks Folau can say whatever he likes and be left alone, I wonder what they think about Joel Monaghan or Pearcey simulating sex with dogs, or Todd Carney pretending to wee in his own mouth? Neither of those things are illegal and yet look at the consequences. What about a man's freedom to pee in his own bloody mouth? How dare you persecute such a freedom of artistic expression?

User avatar
jirskyr
Member
Member
Posts: 6106
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 12:00 pm

Post by jirskyr » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:28 pm

larrycorowa wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:58 am
He has criticised the ceo of rugby. The guy has nfi what is going on and is totally disrespectful of his employers. I would be tearing his contract up and saying thx and good luck.
Honestly I think he knows exactly what he is doing. Maybe the religious comment was innocuous or not, but in publicly challenging the CEO, he's challenged Raylene's authority and... the ARU have done nothing about it, totally overlooked it.

So he now knows he is in the position of power, not the ARU, and with potential contracts available from other rugby competitions plus NRL, he's in demand.

I agree he is tactically disrepectful to the ARU and I think he's doing it on purpose. The words he uses are fine, the language is fine, but the intent is something else.

magpiesteve
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat 31 May, 2014 12:09 pm

Post by magpiesteve » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 1:24 pm

weststigers wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:35 am
underdog wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 8:06 am
After his statements on Instagram/Twitter, No I don't want him at the club.

Goes against the no DH policy.
We have a number of fiercely religious guys in our team.

It's likely some will hold the same views as Izzy.

You're living under a rock if you think that everyone is love and mung beans when it comes to this topic.

To say Folau is a DH for expressing a view is the same of saying you're a DH for expressing your view isn't it?

Let's keep politics out of sport....

Agree well said.

Pawsandclaws
Member
Member
Posts: 3210
Joined: Sat 20 Jun, 2015 5:53 pm

Post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 1:25 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:04 pm
trumper wrote:
Tue 17 Apr, 2018 10:17 pm
Personally I couldn't care less which god he believes in.

Considering the public stance of the ARU towards being inclusive of homosexuals, the fact that the CEO of the major sponsor of the Wallabies is an open homosexual, and also the clear desire of the ailing ARU not to upset him; Folau has revealed that he is either too stupid, too stubborn or too convinced of his own importance to follow the game plan.

For me that is enough not to want him anywhere near my football team - a team which has, despite the sidelining of their highest-paid and most famous player, continued to succeed with the attitude that if a man falls in the front line, there is a willing and able man there to replace him.

Look at how Hayne derailed not only the Gold Coast but also Neil Henry in 2017.
Perfectly said.

All gays are going to hell and the CEO of your major sponsor is one of them. What a clever thing to say. Wait - "God made me do it".
The link between Qantas and Emirates makes the stance by the former against Folau to be not a good look. And the ARU inclusiveness provision not only applies to sexual orientation but also religious beliefs.

Ch9 reported this is the hot topic among fellow church members in the Eels' dressing sheds. Gallen's criticism of Folau on Ch9 last Sunday perhaps would not have gone down well with team mates who are members of the same Church (huge church).

larrycorowa
Member
Member
Posts: 2109
Joined: Fri 19 Feb, 2010 1:47 pm

Post by larrycorowa » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 3:05 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:28 pm
larrycorowa wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:58 am
He has criticised the ceo of rugby. The guy has nfi what is going on and is totally disrespectful of his employers. I would be tearing his contract up and saying thx and good luck.
Honestly I think he knows exactly what he is doing. Maybe the religious comment was innocuous or not, but in publicly challenging the CEO, he's challenged Raylene's authority and... the ARU have done nothing about it, totally overlooked it.

So he now knows he is in the position of power, not the ARU, and with potential contracts available from other rugby competitions plus NRL, he's in demand.

I agree he is tactically disrepectful to the ARU and I think he's doing it on purpose. The words he uses are fine, the language is fine, but the intent is something else.
I think you are giving him way too much credit. If anything he has devalued himself and attached a risk factor to any futures contracts he enters. I employ people whose views I don’t necessarily agree with. Because they don’t impact on my business I treat these employees on merit. As soon as their views impact my business, I’ll firstly give them the option to keep them private and if they do not adhere, I’ll say thx but no thx. I can’t see why this would be handled any differently.

Abraham
Member
Member
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 1:09 pm

Post by Abraham » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 3:10 pm

larrycorowa wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 9:58 am
He has criticised the ceo of rugby. The guy has nfi what is going on and is totally disrespectful of his employers. I would be tearing his contract up and saying thx and good luck.
So the CEO can lie about what was said during their highly publicised meeting, and Folau has to just sit back and allow himself to be misrepresented?

Yeah, nah.

Abraham
Member
Member
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon 25 Mar, 2013 1:09 pm

Post by Abraham » Wed 18 Apr, 2018 3:22 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 18 Apr, 2018 12:24 pm
I wonder what anyone who thinks Folau can say whatever he likes and be left alone, I wonder what they think about Joel Monaghan or Pearcey simulating sex with dogs, or Todd Carney pretending to wee in his own mouth? Neither of those things are illegal and yet look at the consequences. What about a man's freedom to pee in his own bloody mouth? How dare you persecute such a freedom of artistic expression?
So just to be clear, in your eyes simulating bestiality and quoting the Bible are the same thing?

While i understand your point about the consequences of freedoms (and agree with the general point), i think you can do better job of illustrating it.

I don't think Folau should be left alone for his comments, to the contrary everyone should be allowed to voice their opinions on every topic they like, without being shut down or shouted down.

Out of curiosity, do you think the opinion of the Qantas CEO is more valid than the opinion of Israel Folau ?

Post Reply