Knights used HIA for Pearce Pec injury

Chicken Faced Killa

Re: Knights used HIA for Pearce Pec injury

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 12:32 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 12:42 pm
Cheers chook... I'd be interested to hear what you discover.
Would be impossible to do watching on TV you'd have to be there live
Had a bit of time this morning so dug through a few live game blogs on the internet to find when players went off for a HIA and looked at the NRL site for interchanges in the games and it appears you don't have to replace the same player when you return to the field. There were examples in most games but here is one from the Tigers:

25' Liddle off for HIA and Godinet On
30' Benji off for HIA Chee Kam On
39' Liddle returns after passing HIA with Eisenhuth off
40' Benji returns after passing HIA with Liddle off

So in that example we've used the system to our advantage to give Eisenhuth a rest and make the positional changes due to Liddle's injury.

IMO the NRL should look at this and change the rule to same player on and off each time to limit teams manipulating the system to gain extra interchanges like we have above.

Godinet should have stayed on for Liddle who was cleared of HIA so that becomes an interchange. (you'd just say he fail the HIA and couldn't go back on so it doesn't coast an interchange)
Benji should have come back on for Chee Kam (free interchange)
Eisenhuth should have been replaced by Chee Kam as an actual interchange.

Hope that makes sense.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 12:47 pm

Very confusing... Good research chook.

So doesn't have to be 15 mins.... Or maybe there's 5' stoppage time while Benji was off?

Chicken Faced Killa

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 1:28 pm

I think Benji came on at half time so that counts as time. But yeah it’s 15 minutes of real time so if you go off and there is an injury that takes 10minutes to attend to you’d only miss 5 minutes of the game.

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 1:39 pm

In terms of what is actually a head injury or not . . . IIRC when this system was introduced there was always concern that it was open to abuse in exactly the same way that Newy did.
There was a "gentleman's agreement" among the clubs and trainers that no club would rort the system to gain advantage. Like that worked !
End result is we are seeing thigh, ankle and pec injuries all getting that cute little tap on the head.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 1:47 pm

formerguest wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 9:38 am
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 9:36 am
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 6:54 am
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 6:01 am
Ive messaged 2KY BSB, 2SM TalkinSport, 2UE Sports Radio & NRL360....maybe one of them will check it out

If they acknowledge it at all they will claim Yates was due back on but I am pretty sure was the rule is same players change back on and off.
How can Yates be 'due back on' if they had no interchanges left?

Do you mean he was off for a HIA as well?

Getting confusing
He was also off for a HIA to my knowledge.
This is my understanding of it too after watching the replay. It seems they were in fact entitled to a free interchange as Pearce wasn't the HIA leaving the field, Yates was the HIA coming back onto the field.

Agree with KFC as well, the player substituting should be the player to come off. What's to stop players (particularly forwards,) feigning head injuries at times of the game where the coach would be looking to make interchanges. HIA replacement that comes on must be the one that comes off IMO.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Wagga Tiger

Post by Wagga Tiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:25 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 1:47 pm
formerguest wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 9:38 am
innsaneink wrote:
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 9:36 am
Mon 23 Apr, 2018 6:54 am

If they acknowledge it at all they will claim Yates was due back on but I am pretty sure was the rule is same players change back on and off.
How can Yates be 'due back on' if they had no interchanges left?

Do you mean he was off for a HIA as well?

Getting confusing
He was also off for a HIA to my knowledge.
This is my understanding of it too after watching the replay. It seems they were in fact entitled to a free interchange as Pearce wasn't the HIA leaving the field, Yates was the HIA coming back onto the field.

Agree with KFC as well, the player substituting should be the player to come off. What's to stop players (particularly forwards,) feigning head injuries at times of the game where the coach would be looking to make interchanges. HIA replacement that comes on must be the one that comes off IMO.
The question is had Yates been off long enough? he is still on with 16 to go. I haven't had a chance to watch the replay and see what time he goes off but Pearce leaves with about 5 to go and Yates is still on with 16 left so thats an 11 minute period in which a kick off takes place and a try to the knights.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:33 pm

as a trainer, the first question you ask is "tell me what happened" and the way pearce was holding his shoulder and no contact with head or neck means there is no suspiscion of concussion- you can only use HIA if you are suspecting concussion.

and it is "recommended" that HIAs take AT LEAST 15 minutes to- you ask a set of questions then 10 mins later ask them again to check memory, saying some numbers backwards etc there is no golden rule of sit out 10 or 15 mins

and it's not that easy to rort the system either coz you cant keep taking players off suspecting concussion coz if they need a HIA 3 weeks in a row, they need to sit out.

idk about the yates situation but if the knights brought pearce off suspecting concussion then they will be in trouble sooner or later.

and finally, i've said this before and i'll say it again. Whether a player is fit to play before the game and concussion calls need to come from an independent professional and not someone affiliated with the club.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Wagga Tiger

Post by Wagga Tiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:56 pm

Yates is off for about 13.30 minutes all up

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:22 pm

Maybe the 15 minutes is indeed recommendation only as TP suggests.
And the sky is filled with light, can you see it?
And the black is really white, if you believe it.
And the longing that you feel, you know none of this is real;
You will find a better place, in this twilight...

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:44 pm

Wagga Tiger wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:56 pm
Are you sure ??

I saw him in the dressing room talking to the team doctor /trainer but didn't see him go off

GoldXR50Leroy

Post by GoldXR50Leroy » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:47 pm

Has Pascoe referred this to the NRL?, have not seen any media outlet mention it!.

Wagga Tiger

Post by Wagga Tiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:49 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:44 pm
Wagga Tiger wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 2:56 pm
Are you sure ??

I saw him in the dressing room talking to the team doctor /trainer but didn't see him go off
Yates was the one who gave away the penalty to get us to 20 and you don’t actually see him leave the ground but just after the kick it cuts to him in the dressing room and the little banner thing says its a HIA. Game time he’s off for about 11 minutes but real time the 13.30.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:53 pm

GoldXR50Leroy wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:47 pm
Has Pascoe referred this to the NRL?, have not seen any media outlet mention it!.
I guess the club doesn't want to be seen as tattle tale

We can't possibly get anything from it , maybe they get a fine , couldn't see points being deducted

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 7:04 pm

Didn't Jamie Buhrer go off for a HIA in the second half as well?

GoldXR50Leroy

Post by GoldXR50Leroy » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 7:26 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:53 pm
GoldXR50Leroy wrote:
Tue 24 Apr, 2018 6:47 pm
I guess the club doesn't want to be seen as tattle tale

We can't possibly get anything from it , maybe they get a fine , couldn't see points being deducted
It's all well and good for us fans to blow up on social media but there is a thing called toeing the line, Greenburg want's us to talk the game up so there should be due process, someone stuffed up & someone needs to be accountable for this failure.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 8:02 pm

Gladstone and footballers is starting a bit of unwanted history

The King and his merry men got far too merry back in the 80's and literally destroyed the Rocky Glen Hotel

Back in 2001 the WT's and Melbourne had a trial here , a few WT's players enjoyed a few local girls a little too much

Throw the players on the local barge and show them the Harbour , very pretty at night

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 9:17 am

Mon 23 Apr, 2018 11:22 am
Yep former guest got it.

I have been looking around trying to find what the rule is regarding HIA and it isn't outlined in the 'laws and interpretations' document or anywhere else that I can find.

I was always under the impression that when a player went off for a HIA that they had to replace the same play when they came back on, for example:
Taylor replaced by Smith for a HIA and passes after 15 minutes and comes back on the field. Smith comes back off and Taylor goes on.

I will have a closer look at it over games in the next few weeks as it would be good to know the rules around this.
Initially when a player goes of for a HIA it doesn't count as an interchange...when they return if they change with the player who replaced them it is fine however if the come back on for a different player that counts as an interchange.....
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 11 Jun, 2018 10:03 pm

Sorry FT , you know I'm not the brightest match in the pile

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 26 Apr, 2018 9:22 am

Time to let this go... Let's look forward, not back