Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has been left irritated with claims his Tigers have been disrespected

Wests Tigers Discussion
User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 31825
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: Perth

Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has been left irritated with claims his Tigers have been disrespected

Post by willow » Wed 09 May, 2018 10:16 am

Tigers coach Ivan Cleary has been left irritated with claims his Tigers have been disrespected

Mark St John
FOX SPORTSMay 9, 20189:52am

TIGERS coach Ivan Cleary has been irritated by suggestions his team were taken lightly in the opening two months of the season.


The Tigers have been one of the surprise packets of the 2018, winning five of their first six games, but have had a dip in form with three consecutive losses.

On the eve of their Round 10 clash with the Cowboys the question was put to Cleary whether he thought his team were taken lightly at the start of the year.

“I don’t know do you,” Cleary said.

“It’s all the evolution of a season.

“We did have a fair bit of success early in the season and what comes with that is external influences and distractions.

“People start talking guys up and that never happened at the start of the year.

“We’ve had two very narrow losses and then last week is the first game we have been outplayed.

“That’s part of the evolution of a season and all part of learning.”

One thing is for certain if they were at the start of the season, teams are no longer taking the Tigers lightly and Cleary has addressed the issue with his players.

“I think it’s important to have internal reference points,” Cleary said.

“That’s easier to say and harder to do.

“Probably as the season has progressed there has been more external pressures.

“It’s about winding it back and getting the guys to focus on what we believe in and what we value.

“If we can do that well, the results will flow.”

A plus for the Tigers is the return of club co-captain Russell Packer and Cleary was happy to have one of his team’s leaders back on the park.

“Russell is a natural leader and a real leader in our team,” Cleary admitted.

“We have a number of leaders and they are all slightly different.

“Russell is one of those guys, who articulates what he is feeling.

“I think the guys like playing with him and he has a certain presence about him.

“He will definitely lift the team.”

One player who has had a mixed season to date is Jacob Liddle, who was named on the bench with Elijah Taylor picked to start at hooker.

Cleary has mixed up his hooker options so far this season depending on the opposition and the resources he has had available.

“Jacob Liddle is a guy that is earmarked for the future here at the Tigers,” Cleary said.

“We have a lot of faith in him and he has a lot of potential and is a really good young player.

“Jacob has had an injury disrupted preseason and he is still a young guy, so I have him on the bench this week.

“Elijah is a guy who can play hooker and has always been able to play different positions.

“We feel like that is the right combination at the moment and we will push forward with that, but we also have some other options in the squad.

“That is just what our squad is like and we have said that we will probably use the whole lot at various stages.

“There is no doubt we have to play better than we have in the past couple of weeks and that is all we are trying to do.”

The game against the Cowboys will be club legend and five-eighth Benji Marshall’s first game back at Leichaardt since returning to the club.

“Speaking to Benji he has had a lot of games here and he’s been a big part of the history of the Tigers,” Cleary said.

“He is definitely looking forward to the game and has a strong affiliation with the ground.

“I think it is his first game here in five years.

“All the guys like playing and training here and are looking forward to the occasion.”


Elderslie Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 181
Joined: Fri 28 Apr, 2017 4:09 pm

Post by Elderslie Tiger » Wed 09 May, 2018 10:56 am

Its all up to the playing group to get back on track

trumper
Member
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 6:50 pm

Post by trumper » Wed 09 May, 2018 12:10 pm

It can’t hurt to have a big crowd turnout; this is an important game for us moving into this next third of the season, where we really need four or five wins at least.

Forum members! Come to Leichhardt and make a physical statement to help your team!

For those unsteady on the most beneficial colour scheme to wear, some permutation of black, orange and white is highly desired whilst blue and yellow are hues to steer away from.

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 09 May, 2018 12:16 pm

trumper wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 12:10 pm
It can’t hurt to have a big crowd turnout; this is an important game for us moving into this next third of the season, where we really need four or five wins at least.

Forum members! Come to Leichhardt and make a physical statement to help your team!

For those unsteady on the most beneficial colour scheme to wear, some permutation of black, orange and white is highly desired whilst blue and yellow are hues to steer away from.
Thanks for the fashion tip I was unsure what to wear tomorrow night 😉

User avatar
Chicken Faced Killa
Member
Member
Posts: 1036
Joined: Mon 17 Apr, 2017 8:19 pm

Post by Chicken Faced Killa » Wed 09 May, 2018 12:17 pm

Hopefully the players look at this and come out to prove a point. We played out of our skin in the first few weeks and haven’t adjusted recently however every week is a new opportunity to get back on track.


Fade To Black
Member
Member
Posts: 5112
Joined: Tue 21 Feb, 2012 5:51 pm

Post by Fade To Black » Wed 09 May, 2018 12:44 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 12:16 pm
trumper wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 12:10 pm
It can’t hurt to have a big crowd turnout; this is an important game for us moving into this next third of the season, where we really need four or five wins at least.

Forum members! Come to Leichhardt and make a physical statement to help your team!

For those unsteady on the most beneficial colour scheme to wear, some permutation of black, orange and white is highly desired whilst blue and yellow are hues to steer away from.
Thanks for the fashion tip I was unsure what to wear tomorrow night 😉
:lol:
Be sure to wear clean grundies in case you get hit by a car crossing Mary St.
Male members be forewarned: sequined thongs of the foot or crotch variety will be frowned upon and you will be asked to leave the premises.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 27008
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Wed 09 May, 2018 12:55 pm

Reminds me a bit of Sheens at the start of the article... The good sheens

trumper
Member
Member
Posts: 63
Joined: Wed 21 Mar, 2012 6:50 pm

Post by trumper » Wed 09 May, 2018 12:59 pm

Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 12:16 pm
trumper wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 12:10 pm
It can’t hurt to have a big crowd turnout; this is an important game for us moving into this next third of the season, where we really need four or five wins at least.

Forum members! Come to Leichhardt and make a physical statement to help your team!

For those unsteady on the most beneficial colour scheme to wear, some permutation of black, orange and white is highly desired whilst blue and yellow are hues to steer away from.
Thanks for the fashion tip I was unsure what to wear tomorrow night 😉
Not everyone shares your depth of perception :D

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 27108
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Wed 09 May, 2018 1:05 pm

Season needs a reboot...starting Thursday..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

User avatar
Demps
Member
Member
Posts: 6325
Joined: Sat 29 Jan, 2011 2:31 pm
Location: Newcastle

Post by Demps » Wed 09 May, 2018 2:20 pm

Thurston losing streak continues 😉

User avatar
TIGER
Member
Member
Posts: 2809
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 10:40 am

Post by TIGER » Wed 09 May, 2018 6:32 pm

Did I miss something?

I didn't hear the irritated part.
He said "I don't know, do you?
Is that it? Wow very irritated

Newtown
Member
Member
Posts: 5295
Joined: Fri 28 Sep, 2012 8:40 am

Post by Newtown » Wed 09 May, 2018 6:37 pm

In all honesty I heard on radio station 2KY this afternoon that a punter had today placed a bet of $8000 on Wests Tigers at odds of 34 to 1 to win this years premiership.

User avatar
851
Member
Member
Posts: 5467
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by 851 » Wed 09 May, 2018 6:49 pm

Newtown wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 6:37 pm
In all honesty I heard on radio station 2KY this afternoon that a punter had today placed a bet of $8000 on Wests Tigers at odds of 34 to 1 to win this years premiership.
Does he know something we don't, are we getting Tapau and Holmes before June 30
Go hard or go home

hobbo
Member
Member
Posts: 7929
Joined: Mon 10 Mar, 2014 5:03 pm

Post by hobbo » Wed 09 May, 2018 6:53 pm

851 wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 6:49 pm
Newtown wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 6:37 pm
In all honesty I heard on radio station 2KY this afternoon that a punter had today placed a bet of $8000 on Wests Tigers at odds of 34 to 1 to win this years premiership.
Does he know something we don't, are we getting Tapau and Holmes before June 30
The punter was Ashley Klien
Offical member of the MCK fan club.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 27008
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Wed 09 May, 2018 6:54 pm

Over quarter million return...he might get 40/1 if we get done tomorrow

upthetigers
Member
Member
Posts: 753
Joined: Sun 24 Jul, 2016 10:41 pm

Post by upthetigers » Wed 09 May, 2018 7:10 pm

If we get done tomorrow I struggle to see how we will even make the 8. If you lose to Parra, Knights and Cowboys this year, it probably ain't happening.

User avatar
joebob
Member
Member
Posts: 282
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 4:15 pm
Location: Concord West

Post by joebob » Wed 09 May, 2018 7:27 pm

TIGER wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 6:32 pm
Did I miss something?

I didn't hear the irritated part.
He said "I don't know, do you?
Is that it? Wow very irritated
He was irritated at the stupidity of the question, as if he could answer it properly. Having watched the full press conference, I'm surprised how they made a headline from that moment.

User avatar
diedpretty
Member
Member
Posts: 2326
Joined: Thu 16 Jul, 2009 7:31 am
Location: port macquarie

Post by diedpretty » Wed 09 May, 2018 9:46 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 12:44 pm
Chicken Faced Killa wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 12:16 pm
trumper wrote:
Wed 09 May, 2018 12:10 pm
It can’t hurt to have a big crowd turnout; this is an important game for us moving into this next third of the season, where we really need four or five wins at least.

Forum members! Come to Leichhardt and make a physical statement to help your team!

For those unsteady on the most beneficial colour scheme to wear, some permutation of black, orange and white is highly desired whilst blue and yellow are hues to steer away from.
Thanks for the fashion tip I was unsure what to wear tomorrow night 😉
:lol:
Be sure to wear clean grundies in case you get hit by a car crossing Mary St.
Male members be forewarned: sequined thongs of the foot or crotch variety will be frowned upon and you will be asked to leave the premises.
Wellies might be more appropriate footwear if you intend using the toilets while there.

Post Reply