You’re dropped!

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3345
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

Re: You’re dropped!

Post by cktiger » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:34 am

Newtown wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:25 am
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
That's a worry because it was the best forward pack we could put on the field.
I would have had Aloiai in - only forward we have who can break the line, and Grant has been playing better than Sue


Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3054
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:56 am

Eiso did make 49 tackles last week and largely shut down Taumololo. But hey, yeah that's average.

Chee Kam was simply trying to spark something in attack seeing as we were playing so terribly and time was running out.

Benji - Yet another awful game. Needs time in ISP to level his head out. He's not 21 nor golden boot anymore.

Sue actually played really well. Possibly our best prop last night. Made 2 hitups a set while he was on and made good metres on each. The HIAs are a worry though.

I'd let McQueen start over Rochow next week. See what he offers. A much better runner of the ball, but does he have the fitness to do his defensive work?

Nof needs to be dropped. He's not good enough. MWZ easily ahead of him now.

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 27888
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Fri 18 May, 2018 10:16 am

hodgo wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:13 am
Jesus are people watching the same stuff as me. Our boys are nit superstars they are or were average first graders. They are fighting their guts out every week you cant ask for more then that.

Listen to cleary this will take a few years for us to be truley truly competitive. Our boys are massively over achieving look at the big picture i would have taken 6-5 to start the year.

We have more money to spend than so we will grab a player or two a year and add talent to our dogs of war.

Im proud of them all even though we miss alot of tackles and make some momentum turning mistakes, we fight all the way not something we could have said for a long time

Another few years..that is good to know...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
weststigers
Member
Member
Posts: 713
Joined: Sat 11 Jul, 2009 6:25 pm

Post by weststigers » Fri 18 May, 2018 10:32 am

Newtown wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:25 am
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
That's a worry because it was the best forward pack we could put on the field.
We never really got into that game.

After the Merrin sin bin, it was all Penrith until half-time. We were absorbing the pressure well and got it to a point where we were going set for set.

After half-time, we were murdered with penalties and a sin-bin. By the time we absorbed all that pressure, and with the clock running down, we had to try and play catch up. Unfortunately, the passes weren't sticking and the Penrith defence was well organised.

It was a carbon copy of the Melbourne game. The difference is, even though we copped heaps of penalties, Melbourne kept dropping the ball which kept us in the game. Penrith didn't drop the ball in the second half (if they did, it was 10m from our line) and we had no penalties to get us out of our end.

It was just one of those nights where penalties, dropped ball and the other team holding onto the ball and making their tackles suffocated us out of the game.

We did well to hang in there like we did.

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm

Post by colmcd » Sat 19 May, 2018 9:04 am

cktiger wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:34 am
Newtown wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:25 am
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
That's a worry because it was the best forward pack we could put on the field.
I would have had Aloiai in - only forward we have who can break the line, and Grant has been playing better than Sue
Clearly Cleary does not Favor Grant.

Either way it did seem to be a strong tigers pack and we got walloped.


Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 19 May, 2018 9:18 am

weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 10:32 am
Newtown wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:25 am
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
That's a worry because it was the best forward pack we could put on the field.
We never really got into that game.

After the Merrin sin bin, it was all Penrith until half-time. We were absorbing the pressure well and got it to a point where we were going set for set.

After half-time, we were murdered with penalties and a sin-bin. By the time we absorbed all that pressure, and with the clock running down, we had to try and play catch up. Unfortunately, the passes weren't sticking and the Penrith defence was well organised.

It was a carbon copy of the Melbourne game. The difference is, even though we copped heaps of penalties, Melbourne kept dropping the ball which kept us in the game. Penrith didn't drop the ball in the second half (if they did, it was 10m from our line) and we had no penalties to get us out of our end.

It was just one of those nights where penalties, dropped ball and the other team holding onto the ball and making their tackles suffocated us out of the game.

We did well to hang in there like we did.
I didn't see the game, but didnt we get 8 or 9 penalties to their 2 in the first half? As well as them being down a man for 10 minutes. Why the hell could we not get into the game with that advantage? That's ridiculous really.

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 1005
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Sat 19 May, 2018 9:28 am

People are starting to lose the plot.

Who cares where we were expected to finish.

Like how is that even relevant. all that is relevant is that we are close to being a good team. We are in the 8 and can definitely make it this year.

It starts with accountability not excusing every single thing and going back to the ohhh we werent meant to be good anyhow mentality.
Its an opinion!

User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1794
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Swordy » Sat 19 May, 2018 9:56 am

Spud Murphy wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 9:18 am
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 10:32 am
Newtown wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:25 am
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
That's a worry because it was the best forward pack we could put on the field.
We never really got into that game.

After the Merrin sin bin, it was all Penrith until half-time. We were absorbing the pressure well and got it to a point where we were going set for set.

After half-time, we were murdered with penalties and a sin-bin. By the time we absorbed all that pressure, and with the clock running down, we had to try and play catch up. Unfortunately, the passes weren't sticking and the Penrith defence was well organised.

It was a carbon copy of the Melbourne game. The difference is, even though we copped heaps of penalties, Melbourne kept dropping the ball which kept us in the game. Penrith didn't drop the ball in the second half (if they did, it was 10m from our line) and we had no penalties to get us out of our end.

It was just one of those nights where penalties, dropped ball and the other team holding onto the ball and making their tackles suffocated us out of the game.

We did well to hang in there like we did.
I didn't see the game, but didnt we get 8 or 9 penalties to their 2 in the first half? As well as them being down a man for 10 minutes. Why the hell could we not get into the game with that advantage? That's ridiculous really.
Spud, it was poor, but i will say this. The penalties were essentially back to back and all they did was allow penrith to reset and stifled any rhythm we could try and get. At one stage, no joke, the game stopped for at least a minute when we were attacking on their line, when Ben Cummings calls time off, calls over James Maloney from the other side of the field. Maloney slowly as slowly (as you would) dribbles over the 40m to get there, only to be told " Thats 3 penalties now, the next one, sailing close to danger. Tell your guys". Maloney turns around and dribbled back the 40m. He did not say a word to his players and the ref did not restart the game until he was in his customary defensive wing position again. I'm not joking when I say you could have lined up for a pie and beer and been back in your seat and missed nothing.

And then 3 penalties later when Merrin finally does get marched, he argues, dribbles around, and then funeral marches of the field at the worlds slowest pace.

This whole thing was a cluster **** and busted any chance of an advantage.

Sure, we should have captialised, but the penalty count and string of penalties did penrith every favour and us none!
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 39125
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sat 19 May, 2018 10:20 am

Eddie wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 11:21 pm
Marshall is tired and showing his age. He was bought to play 25 minutes a week or sit in reserves.

What he has done has been magnificent for mine.

However he has hit the wall. What is he 34? Coming off 2 seasons of not many 80 minutes games.

No surprise at all what is happening to him. Especially noe our forwards are getting rolled most weeks.
Yep , at least with Reynolds we will get enthusiasm for 80 minutes , Benji looking for the easy way out every chance he gets

In saying that Benji's front on defence is a million times better than what it was , at least he puts his body on the line

colmcd
Member
Member
Posts: 872
Joined: Wed 04 Jan, 2017 11:38 pm

Post by colmcd » Sat 19 May, 2018 12:06 pm

weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 10:32 am
Newtown wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:25 am
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
That's a worry because it was the best forward pack we could put on the field.
We never really got into that game.

After the Merrin sin bin, it was all Penrith until half-time. We were absorbing the pressure well and got it to a point where we were going set for set.

After half-time, we were murdered with penalties and a sin-bin. By the time we absorbed all that pressure, and with the clock running down, we had to try and play catch up. Unfortunately, the passes weren't sticking and the Penrith defence was well organised.

It was a carbon copy of the Melbourne game. The difference is, even though we copped heaps of penalties, Melbourne kept dropping the ball which kept us in the game. Penrith didn't drop the ball in the second half (if they did, it was 10m from our line) and we had no penalties to get us out of our end.

It was just one of those nights where penalties, dropped ball and the other team holding onto the ball and making their tackles suffocated us out of the game.

We did well to hang in there like we did.
Well said. Yet I don't get why their forward pack would automatically dominate ours.
Penrith have:
8 Trent Merrin, 9 Sione Katoa, 10 Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 11 Corey Harawira-Naera, 12 Isaah Yeo, 13 James Fisher-Harris
Interchange: 14 Wayde Egan, 15 Jack Hetherington, 16 Viliame Kikau, 17 James Tamou

we have:
8 Russell Packer (c), 9 Elijah Taylor, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence, 12 Robbie Rochow, 13 Matthew Eisenhuth
Interchange: 14 Alex Twal, 15 Jacob Liddle, 17 Sauaso Sue, 19 Chris McQueen

Ok the Panthers have three huge names in Merrin, Tamou and RCG. We have a fair few names, Packer, Matalino with a few good juniors coming through.
Why were we just run over like this?

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 19 May, 2018 12:43 pm

weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
x2,only Twal and Lawrence are worth mentioning, all the other were sub par, big money was spent on Matulino and Packer, but they are either injured or want to play every other week :crazy

InBenjiWeTrust
Member
Member
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon 12 Mar, 2012 2:59 pm

Post by InBenjiWeTrust » Sat 19 May, 2018 12:47 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 9:28 am
People are starting to lose the plot.

Who cares where we were expected to finish.

Like how is that even relevant. all that is relevant is that we are close to being a good team. We are in the 8 and can definitely make it this year.

It starts with accountability not excusing every single thing and going back to the ohhh we werent meant to be good anyhow mentality.
correct, could not agree more :sign:

Spud Murphy
Member
Member
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat 13 May, 2017 5:04 pm
Location: Third Heaven

Post by Spud Murphy » Sat 19 May, 2018 2:18 pm

colmcd wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:06 pm
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 10:32 am
Newtown wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:25 am
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
That's a worry because it was the best forward pack we could put on the field.
We never really got into that game.

After the Merrin sin bin, it was all Penrith until half-time. We were absorbing the pressure well and got it to a point where we were going set for set.

After half-time, we were murdered with penalties and a sin-bin. By the time we absorbed all that pressure, and with the clock running down, we had to try and play catch up. Unfortunately, the passes weren't sticking and the Penrith defence was well organised.

It was a carbon copy of the Melbourne game. The difference is, even though we copped heaps of penalties, Melbourne kept dropping the ball which kept us in the game. Penrith didn't drop the ball in the second half (if they did, it was 10m from our line) and we had no penalties to get us out of our end.

It was just one of those nights where penalties, dropped ball and the other team holding onto the ball and making their tackles suffocated us out of the game.

We did well to hang in there like we did.
Well said. Yet I don't get why their forward pack would automatically dominate ours.
Penrith have:
8 Trent Merrin, 9 Sione Katoa, 10 Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 11 Corey Harawira-Naera, 12 Isaah Yeo, 13 James Fisher-Harris
Interchange: 14 Wayde Egan, 15 Jack Hetherington, 16 Viliame Kikau, 17 James Tamou

we have:
8 Russell Packer (c), 9 Elijah Taylor, 10 Ben Matulino, 11 Chris Lawrence, 12 Robbie Rochow, 13 Matthew Eisenhuth
Interchange: 14 Alex Twal, 15 Jacob Liddle, 17 Sauaso Sue, 19 Chris McQueen

Ok the Panthers have three huge names in Merrin, Tamou and RCG. We have a fair few names, Packer, Matalino with a few good juniors coming through.
Why were we just run over like this?
Because besides the 3 you mentioned, Fisher-Harris, CHN, Yeo and Kikau are going gangbusters at the moment and playing on a different level to many backrowers in the comp, not just ours.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 39125
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sat 19 May, 2018 2:25 pm

InBenjiWeTrust wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:43 pm
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
x2,only Twal and Lawrence are worth mentioning, all the other were sub par, big money was spent on Matulino and Packer, but they are either injured or want to play every other week :crazy
Respect both of your opinions

But how can they lay a platform ??

Our back five is taking most of the hit ups because of where we start our sets

It comes back to field position , our kicking game , our kick / chase and how we get rolled up the guts

We start our sets with better field position and things will change , rugby league is a simple game , don't overcomplicate it

User avatar
Tiger Steve
Member
Member
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed 29 Mar, 2017 5:30 pm
Location: Chatswood West

Post by Tiger Steve » Sat 19 May, 2018 3:34 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 2:25 pm
InBenjiWeTrust wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 12:43 pm
weststigers wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 12:22 am
Our forwards laid no platform tonight - our backs didn't lose us this game.

They had no ball and when they did, there was no space.
x2,only Twal and Lawrence are worth mentioning, all the other were sub par, big money was spent on Matulino and Packer, but they are either injured or want to play every other week :crazy
Respect both of your opinions

But how can they lay a platform ??

Our back five is taking most of the hit ups because of where we start our sets

It comes back to field position , our kicking game , our kick / chase and how we get rolled up the guts

We start our sets with better field position and things will change , rugby league is a simple game , don't overcomplicate it
100% Happy. This was never more evident than Thursday night. I’ll also add that our back 5 runs were also rather ineffective
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

yeti
Member
Member
Posts: 1254
Joined: Tue 08 Nov, 2011 5:38 pm

Post by yeti » Sat 19 May, 2018 3:58 pm

It all comes back to taking the right options at the right time. Marshall's game management has been abysmal over the past 5 weeks and it appears he often over calls Brooks.
Instead of conservative, well placed kicks to end a set he continuously attempts the long odds option which 9 times out of 10 leaves us in terrible field position.
Do this enough and the effect on the forwards is obvious for all to see.
Reynolds isn't the best kicker either, but I doubt we will see him going for the 'glory play' as often as Marshall.

NT Tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 2699
Joined: Sun 28 Apr, 2013 9:00 am
Location: Sitting in front of the computer (again)

Post by NT Tiger » Sat 19 May, 2018 4:22 pm

yeti wrote:
Sat 19 May, 2018 3:58 pm
It all comes back to taking the right options at the right time. Marshall's game management has been abysmal over the past 5 weeks and it appears he often over calls Brooks.
Instead of conservative, well placed kicks to end a set he continuously attempts the long odds option which 9 times out of 10 leaves us in terrible field position.
Do this enough and the effect on the forwards is obvious for all to see.
Reynolds isn't the best kicker either, but I doubt we will see him going for the 'glory play' as often as Marshall.
I agree. I thought he did well in the early games but either his early success has gone to his head or he's tired. His attempts at game control are out the window. I think if it were up to me and there was another option. I'd rest him.
"Quality Stupidity"

LCA
Member
Member
Posts: 1079
Joined: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Liverpool

Post by LCA » Sun 20 May, 2018 7:42 am

maxxy86 wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:18 pm
Think the Huth can hold his head high....Couple of last ditch tackles in the first half were great. Think people just see his height and think he's a plodder, this fella has real ticker imo.
I agree 200%. He needs to be part of the future of the club. Criticism of Eisenhuth, to the extent that he's copping here, is unbelievable.

Post Reply