Taken the 2!!!!!!

Tigerdave

Re: Taken the 2!!!!!!

Post by Tigerdave » Fri 18 May, 2018 8:27 am

happy tiger wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 7:46 am
Tigerdave wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 7:32 am
Penrith took the 2 when Twal was sent off, I thought we should have taken the points early as well. We had 2 other opportunities to go for it but went for the try instead.

The attack last week wasn't all that on fire either, not sure why last night would have been suddenly different.

Not that it would have mattered in the end, but I just don't think our attack is quite there yet to be consistent and should take points when they are offered.
Once Liddle's fitness is at a high enough level he will play bigger minute

That's when our attack will lose it's clunkiness
That's what I'm hoping for Hap, just hope it comes sooner. Heh some of us aren't as patient as the coach :)

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 18 May, 2018 8:32 am

Tigerdave wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 8:27 am
happy tiger wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 7:46 am
Tigerdave wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 7:32 am
Penrith took the 2 when Twal was sent off, I thought we should have taken the points early as well. We had 2 other opportunities to go for it but went for the try instead.

The attack last week wasn't all that on fire either, not sure why last night would have been suddenly different.

Not that it would have mattered in the end, but I just don't think our attack is quite there yet to be consistent and should take points when they are offered.
Once Liddle's fitness is at a high enough level he will play bigger minute

That's when our attack will lose it's clunkiness
That's what I'm hoping for Hap, just hope it comes sooner. Heh some of us aren't as patient as the coach :)
You can probably see Cleary's concerns , I think he would have preferred to start with Liddle but you use an extra interchange bringing him back on

With our luck with the HIA's and injuries , we 'd end up with no interchanges left with 15-20 minutes to go

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Fri 18 May, 2018 8:37 am

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 11:25 pm
Penrith took the 2 when they could. I thought it was ok to take the first tap, but when Penrith were warned, we seemed to want to go again and possibly force a sin-binning. Should have taken the penalty then and been 4 up.

We were making decent yards and Penrith were giving away penalties, so we should have made them pay on the scoreboard. It seems in 2018 that teams are more willing to give up sinbins than 2 points, so if you come down and kick 2 every time, they tend to stop giving away the penalties so often.

Yes it is hindsight, just felt it went away from our regular strategy this year of taking the 2 on offer.
I agree with this.
"Quality Stupidity"

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 18 May, 2018 8:44 am

When a team is down to 12 - you always go for the try.

It has always been the way to go.

There are no excuses - we were not good enough. When your forwards are dominated that is the end of the section.

Your backs are struggling and your halves are up against it when that happens.

We could have taken another 5 twos on offer - we would still have lost the game.

At least they showed commitment and didn't give in. That was what we wanted at the start of the season wasn't it? Why have unrealistic expectations being placed on the team all of a sudden.

Now people are saying - wait for it ... we are not a top 4 team. Get serious people, we never were. If we go really well with the team we have - maybe we might scrape in the 8, maybe not.

The main thing is with the team we have, we build for the future - Cleary has said it will take 3 years - we don't have the team yet. We are out of financial trouble, Cleary has bought players that we can afford to start the run for a GF. Some of these players will not be there for that, he will buy the players we need when he has the money and when they become available.

By the way I wouldn't be holding my breath that Nathan will be coming to the Tigers. After last night would you leave the Panfers to come to the Tigers?

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:04 am

Russell wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 8:44 am
When a team is down to 12 - you always go for the try.

It has always been the way to go.

There are no excuses - we were not good enough. When your forwards are dominated that is the end of the section.

Your backs are struggling and your halves are up against it when that happens.

We could have taken another 5 twos on offer - we would still have lost the game.

At least they showed commitment and didn't give in. That was what we wanted at the start of the season wasn't it? Why have unrealistic expectations being placed on the team all of a sudden.

Now people are saying - wait for it ... we are not a top 4 team. Get serious people, we never were. If we go really well with the team we have - maybe we might scrape in the 8, maybe not.

The main thing is with the team we have, we build for the future - Cleary has said it will take 3 years - we don't have the team yet. We are out of financial trouble, Cleary has bought players that we can afford to start the run for a GF. Some of these players will not be there for that, he will buy the players we need when he has the money and when they become available.

By the way I wouldn't be holding my breath that Nathan will be coming to the Tigers. After last night would you leave the Panfers to come to the Tigers?
Not often we agree but that is bang on the money 👍

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:21 am

LARDS wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 10:49 pm
Right decision to go for the try when the opposition is down to twelve.
You can't win games with just penalty goals, unless you are Brisbane and you got the refs on your pocket.
99% percent of teams will have a crack at a try after a sin binning instead of taking the two, but with the length of time taken up by the player arguing with the ref and than the slow march off the field the defending team has a few minutes to get set and get their composure. I think they have to bring in a rule where you have to exit the field at the nearest sideline or dead ball line within 30 seconds or you get another 5 minutes. Last night Merrin took ages to get off the field and killed any advantage we had

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:24 am

Pamfers took the two after Twal went to the bin
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

maxxy86

Post by maxxy86 » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:30 am

supercoach wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:21 am
LARDS wrote:
You can't win games with just penalty goals, unless you are Brisbane and you got the refs on your pocket.
99% percent of teams will have a crack at a try after a sin binning instead of taking the two, but with the length of time taken up by the player arguing with the ref and than the slow march off the field the defending team has a few minutes to get set and get their composure. I think they have to bring in a rule where you have to exit the field at the nearest sideline or dead ball line within 30 seconds or you get another 5 minutes. Last night Merrin took ages to get off the field and killed any advantage we had
True it did kill the advantage
So we should have taken the 2
Last edited by maxxy86 on Fri 18 May, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Well its nearly time to have a 'CRACK'....Go you :sign:

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:30 am

supercoach wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:21 am
LARDS wrote:
Spot on!!!!!

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:36 am

hobbo wrote:
Thu 17 May, 2018 11:13 pm
We had them on the rack for the first 15 mins and came up with garbage plays ....
Then gave away dumb penalties ...
Summed it up in a nutshell.

barra

Post by barra » Fri 18 May, 2018 9:42 am

Bigger issue for me was the way the ref handled those penalties. Giving Penrith meaningless warnings which allow them to re-set and rest on their try line, instead of us being given the opportunity to take advantage of the situation is what cost us.

This is what Ivan was referring to the presso and I agree.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Fri 18 May, 2018 11:35 am

barra wrote:
Fri 18 May, 2018 9:42 am
Bigger issue for me was the way the ref handled those penalties. Giving Penrith meaningless warnings which allow them to re-set and rest on their try line, instead of us being given the opportunity to take advantage of the situation is what cost us.

This is what Ivan was referring to the presso and I agree.
yeah that actually hindered us way more than helped, it killed our momentum