Post by Tweed Tiger » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 8:10 am

England 2 Belgium 1
France 1 Croatia 1 (France 2-1) extra time

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 8:21 am

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 12 Jul, 2018 10:50 am
England sat back after getting the lead and slowly let Croatia control the game

Can't really believe England lost to be honest , their back 5 was way quicker than Croatia's front pairing and they controlled the game
It doesnt really sound like you understand the game if you are that surprised England lost. Sounds like an arrogant uninformed comment.

The 5. 3 2 system has a few flaws. Players like Modric and Vrsaljko took full advantage of this and ran the English edge defenders out of the game. It was great coaching using the strength of the Croatian team vs the flaw in the English game

The perfect example of this was Vrsaljko being given time to put in that magic cross for Perisic. The space and time he has to place this cross is a result of the Croatian strength wearing down the English edge

There is more to soccer that EPL, this Coratian team was always a good chance against England.
Its an opinion!

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 8:34 am

This should be good.. :lol:
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:15 am

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 14 Jul, 2018 8:21 am
happy tiger wrote:

Can't really believe England lost to be honest , their back 5 was way quicker than Croatia's front pairing and they controlled the game
It doesnt really sound like you understand the game if you are that surprised England lost. Sounds like an arrogant uninformed comment.

The 5. 3 2 system has a few flaws. Players like Modric and Vrsaljko took full advantage of this and ran the English edge defenders out of the game. It was great coaching using the strength of the Croatian team vs the flaw in the English game

The perfect example of this was Vrsaljko being given time to put in that magic cross for Perisic. The space and time he has to place this cross is a result of the Croatian strength wearing down the English edge

There is more to soccer that EPL, this Coratian team was always a good chance against England.
Did you watch the game ??

England controlled the 1st half and totally dominated the Croatians

If they had of continued to push for a 2nd goal and not sat back and tried to back there defence they probably score a 2nd or even 3rd

With what Croatia had gone through in previous games with extra time and shootouts , 2 goals would have sunk them

And a 5-3-2 is very effective as long as your wing backs are prepared to work , personally I prefer a 3-5-2 with a defensive midfielder , if you have a skilled mid field , you totally control the game , but if England went with a back 3 or 4 they struggle

The English sides weakness is their defence , proof in the pudding was they conceded in every game they played

If England had kept a high defence , Croatia would never had a chance to settle , England just sat back further and further and basically played into Croatia's hand , you can't give a player like Modric time on the ball

Mandzukic and Kramaric are world class strikers , particularly Mandzukic , of all the players WHU have missed signing over the last 3 years that probably devastated me the most

In the air he is as good a striker you will see

Against Croatia however they had the speed advantage and Croatia lacked the ability or speed to kill a side with the counter

I'll be shocked if Croatia beat France , the speed that France counter with is as good as I've ever seen

Happy ??

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:21 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:15 am
The Patriot wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

If they had of continued to push for a 2nd goal and not sat back and tried to back there defence they probably score a 2nd or even 3rd

With what Croatia had gone through in previous games with extra time and shootouts , 2 goals would have sunk them

And a 5-3-2 is very effective as long as your wing backs are prepared to work , personally I prefer a 3-5-2 with a defensive midfielder , if you have a skilled mid field , you totally control the game , but if England went with a back 3 or 4 they struggle

The English sides weakness is their defence , proof in the pudding was they conceded in every game they played

If England had kept a high defence , Croatia would never had a chance to settle , England just sat back further and further and basically played into Croatia's hand , you can't give a player like Modric time on the ball

Mandzukic and Kramaric are world class strikers , particularly Mandzukic , of all the players WHU have missed signing over the last 3 years that probably devastated me the most

Against Croatia however they had the speed advantage and Croatia lacked the ability or speed to kill a side with the counter

I'll be shocked if Croatia beat France , the speed that France counter with is as good as I've ever seen

Happy ??
It’s coming home ...
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:29 am

hobbo wrote:
Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:21 am
happy tiger wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Happy ??
It’s coming home ...
England would have learnt a lot from that game and have buried many of their past ghosts

If they can find a good defensive midfielder they will only get better

Henderson doesn't really cut it in that role at this level

Bit hard to know where to rank sides after this WC , football has been turned upside down at international level

My opinion the French are the standouts now , they have really grown through the stages and look unbeatable

Deschamps has done an outstanding job with the squad , which isn't at full strength either

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:36 am

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:29 am
hobbo wrote:
Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:21 am
happy tiger wrote:
The Patriot wrote:

Happy ??
It’s coming home ...
England would have learnt a lot from that game and have buried many of their past ghosts

If they can find a good defensive midfielder they will only get better

Henderson doesn't really cut it in that role at this level

Bit hard to know where to rank sides after this WC , football has been turned upside down at international level

My opinion the French are the standouts now , they have really grown through the stages and look unbeatable

Deschamps has done an outstanding job with the squad , which isn't at full strength either
Both goals concede were soft .
But yeah being a very young squad they’ll learn from that .
Bring on Euro 2020 !
At least the English tabloids didn’t turn on the lads this time .
I hope Croatia win it ...
They need it more than France ...

Being a Pom we hate the French ..
Piss weak nation !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 12:48 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Sat 14 Jul, 2018 10:29 am

Sorry France...on Bastille Day and everything..

Viva Croatia..
happy tiger wrote:
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 1:05 pm

happy tiger wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Happy ??
OK it seems i was wrong. I thought you were being arrogant and uninformed dismissing the Croatians like that. Turns out you're just a sore loser lol
Its an opinion!

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 5:51 pm

I feel the game showed Southgate's shortcomings as a manager. Croatia were comfortable from the moment they got level, it was time for the manager to change the shape and structure of England, but he was making like-for-like changes. He also seemed reluctant to sub players whose impact on the game had long gone (Alli & Lingard), then again that may be down to a lack of dept, I doubt Welbeck is filling him with confidence on that bench. I think he learnt a lot from that game and going into the Euros in 2020 England will be an even more formidable opponent.

Croatia were brilliant again, I rated them before the tournament, but I didn't really think they had a hope of winning it. I would think France would have too much class for them, and will be fresher, however I would have said the same thing about England. I will tip France, but I think it will be a very tight game. France are excellent at getting ahead and shutting the game down, whereas Croatia are excellent at fighting back after going behind. Should be a top game.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 14 Jul, 2018 7:45 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sat 14 Jul, 2018 1:05 pm
happy tiger wrote:
The Patriot wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Happy ??
OK it seems i was wrong. I thought you were being arrogant and uninformed dismissing the Croatians like that. Turns out you're just a sore loser lol
Sore loser ..........

I suppose I would be a sore loser if I was English or Croatian

The only problem is I'm not either :brick: :brick: :brick:

Some people :lol:

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 12:10 am

WOW look two teams either possibly ranked 3rd or 4th in the world playing a 5-3-2 defensive pattern

They are obviously wrong as well ........

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 11:15 am

Again England had all the running in the 2nd half and couldn't convert their chances

Dier played well , showed he was a pretty creative player

Still I don't get the love for Sterling and Loftus Cheek , lot of English players I'd be picking before them

Pickford played well , showed I was wrong

Shame about Nacer Chadli ,always been a fan (even though he was a Spurt during his insane years ) injuries seem to be a curse for him , he was outstanding for Belgium

England need an Eden Hazard type player , relying on dead ball situations won't win World Cups

Only 2nd time in 44 years that 3 goals weren't scored in 3 v 4 play off

As for tonight Croatia have shown tremendous guts to get where they have got and it has been well deserved , but I fear France will destroy them on the counter and with their speed across the park

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 11:26 am

LOL..England 3 Belgium 3...bloody genius...

So the Poms even lost the losers plate..
happy tiger wrote:
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 12:04 pm

Geo. wrote:
Sun 15 Jul, 2018 11:26 am
LOL..England 3 Belgium 3...bloody genius...

So the Poms even lost the losers plate..
Finishing 4th from a pool of 32 teams in a World Cup is nothing to sneeze at.
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Tweed Tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by Tweed Tiger » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 12:10 pm

England shouldn't of parked the bus against Croatia

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 2:35 pm

Just a quick heads up, in the semis both teams with more Tottenham players lost (we know they don't do well in semis). Again, in the third place play off the team with more spurs players lost. With that in mind, Croatia have got this.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sun 15 Jul, 2018 2:36 pm

Any WHAM players in France team..?
happy tiger wrote:
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote: