Re: Thomas Mikaele?

Post by Demps » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 8:42 pm

willow wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 8:34 pm
Demps wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 8:31 pm
Anyone remember our last "beast prop"

Taniela Pasaka?
Getting plenty of FG at Manly - and not playing too badly from what I've seen. He'll improve still.
Yep, good luck to him.
#Unbeatable

"I never lie because I don't fear anyone. You only lie when you're afraid" - John Gotti

Wests Tigers Forum's most brilliant mind.

Tigertail

Post by Tigertail » Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:24 pm

From what i heard the ISP coach that JT acquired reckoned Paseka was soft, so he left for Manly.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:49 pm

Tigertail wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:24 pm
From what i heard the ISP coach that JT acquired reckoned Paseka was soft, so he left for Manly.
I read commentary at the time about Paseka's output over 80 mins - no argument about his size, but involvement was lacking and defence was very suspect.

I don't believe Tigers made the move, I believe Paseka was aware that he wasn't in the reckoning for first grade in 2017 and asked for a release to sign with Manly. The decision was made that upgrade / retention money for Paseka was better spent elsewhere.

Only 20 years old but so far I think the decision is vindicated. Problem with big tall bodies is first graders are good defenders and tall units have lots of surface area to make contact with. Also moving 120 kg around for 40+ mins a game is tough work. Look at that kid who moved from Souths to NRL trials this year - size of a house and scary short-range power, but oppositions were just running him around the park.

Mikaele faces the same challenge, but appears to have patience and is being managed.

I personally believe the concept of "size" is very over-rated in footy - power is more important. Power and strength-to-size ratio. Smaller, powerful footballers are much more of a handful than these behemoths that never hit top speed and are easily picked up lurking around the ruck.

Taupau and Taumololo for instance are up to 8 cm shorter than Paseka and give away 5-10 kg in playing weight, but are much scarier propositions. Sure they are big enough themselves, but they are a size smaller than these 120 kg 2m tall kids and it's all centralised explosive power.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:06 pm

Demps wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm
Another hype player that won't make it?
Lamar Liovalave?
Liovalave was made to look 10 times better then he was by TMM. The problem with rating juniours is they can be made look a lot better then they are by other guys who dominate the grades.

Mikaele looks good to me, probably equal level to Felisse and Tatola at the same age but playing in a much s*** side.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 3:45 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 12:49 pm
Tigertail wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 11:24 pm
I read commentary at the time about Paseka's output over 80 mins - no argument about his size, but involvement was lacking and defence was very suspect.

I don't believe Tigers made the move, I believe Paseka was aware that he wasn't in the reckoning for first grade in 2017 and asked for a release to sign with Manly. The decision was made that upgrade / retention money for Paseka was better spent elsewhere.

Only 20 years old but so far I think the decision is vindicated. Problem with big tall bodies is first graders are good defenders and tall units have lots of surface area to make contact with. Also moving 120 kg around for 40+ mins a game is tough work. Look at that kid who moved from Souths to NRL trials this year - size of a house and scary short-range power, but oppositions were just running him around the park.

Mikaele faces the same challenge, but appears to have patience and is being managed.

I personally believe the concept of "size" is very over-rated in footy - power is more important. Power and strength-to-size ratio. Smaller, powerful footballers are much more of a handful than these behemoths that never hit top speed and are easily picked up lurking around the ruck.

Taupau and Taumololo for instance are up to 8 cm shorter than Paseka and give away 5-10 kg in playing weight, but are much scarier propositions. Sure they are big enough themselves, but they are a size smaller than these 120 kg 2m tall kids and it's all centralised explosive power.
Speed =Power

Look how mobile Taupau , Fifita , Taumalolo are

Even blokes as small as Tallis ,Thaiday,Lawrence

Tallis was a bloke who really surprised me , standing near him he may have been two inches taller at best and weight may have just topped 100 kg

ALX22

Post by ALX22 » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 5:59 pm

Tom just needs some luck with his injuries. All the best to him, and hope he has an injury-free pre-season.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Fri 27 Jul, 2018 6:15 pm

fergiefurr wrote:
Fri 27 Jul, 2018 1:06 pm
Demps wrote:
Thu 26 Jul, 2018 7:33 pm
Another hype player that won't make it?
Lamar Liovalave?
Liovalave was made to look 10 times better then he was by TMM. The problem with rating juniours is they can be made look a lot better then they are by other guys who dominate the grades.
Thats a great point.

Guess thats why many never go on with it, they get found out eventually.
Its an opinion!

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 1:19 pm

Liolevave had a poor attitude. He thought he was a rock star before he'd even made it. TMM did make him look a star too. He wasn't up for putting in the hard work required, that's why he faded into obscurity and is probably a brickie or bouncer somewhere now.

Paseka is very tall and lean. Perhaps prone to injuries due to that frame. He didn't think he was going to get a chance in first grade straight away and again wasn't prepared to do the hard yards and earn his spot. So he was offloaded too.

Mikaele is a fair bit shorter and stockier than Paseka. A good size for a prop and another off season should see his frame fill out a bit still. Mikaele seems to attributes both physically but mentally to do a good job for us. Seems to have a level head, works hard, his aggressive on the field and i think is a great prospect for us.

When he played ISP earlier in the year it did look like he was trying too hard in a team that was drowning. I'm looking forward to hearing how he goes after being names in ISP again this weekend. Don't think the game's televised though...?

Tacky

Post by Tacky » Thu 02 Aug, 2018 2:28 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Thu 02 Aug, 2018 1:19 pm
Liolevave had a poor attitude. He thought he was a rock star before he'd even made it. TMM did make him look a star too. He wasn't up for putting in the hard work required, that's why he faded into obscurity and is probably a brickie or bouncer somewhere now.

Paseka is very tall and lean. Perhaps prone to injuries due to that frame. He didn't think he was going to get a chance in first grade straight away and again wasn't prepared to do the hard yards and earn his spot. So he was offloaded too.

Mikaele is a fair bit shorter and stockier than Paseka. A good size for a prop and another off season should see his frame fill out a bit still. Mikaele seems to attributes both physically but mentally to do a good job for us. Seems to have a level head, works hard, his aggressive on the field and i think is a great prospect for us.

When he played ISP earlier in the year it did look like he was trying too hard in a team that was drowning. I'm looking forward to hearing how he goes after being names in ISP again this weekend. Don't think the game's televised though...?
1:45pm Sunday so, no its not on tv.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer. Ken Y.