Forward analysis

Wests Tigers Discussion
old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Forward analysis

Post by old man tiger » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:18 pm

Time to force a divorce on Packerlino. They can no longer be analysed as a single unit.

Packer hasn't played well in months, mats has built some form back up. He and Sue are the reason Canberra didn't win yesterday, they controlled the middle well and Canberra only had one point of attack.

We need more from Al if we are going to compete. Surely he wasn't just signed to make jokes in press conferences? Loved his first month, the rest is :brick:

Shoutout to the Huth, I had him pegged as fodder for the Hobbo scale, but he has come good in recent weeks, doing everything with more energy.

Twal? I hope that giving him he last 30 minutes is about building him up for an even bigger year in 2019. Was dominant until given a starting role against the Titans.

Et getting close to an early retirement. The number of infringements - ridiculous

Finally, we miss rowdy badly and dare I say Aloiai as we need at least one bigger body on each edge.

Id be tempted to bench Packer, but think it throws the balance off as Twal doesn't look ready to start.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm

Packer is a benchie don't worry about that..15 mins starting and 15mins finishing = benchie
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:35 pm

old man tiger wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:18 pm
Time to force a divorce on Packerlino. They can no longer be analysed as a single unit.

Packer hasn't played well in months, mats has built some form back up. He and Sue are the reason Canberra didn't win yesterday, they controlled the middle well and Canberra only had one point of attack.

We need more from Al if we are going to compete. Surely he wasn't just signed to make jokes in press conferences? Loved his first month, the rest is :brick:

Shoutout to the Huth, I had him pegged as fodder for the Hobbo scale, but he has come good in recent weeks, doing everything with more energy.

Twal? I hope that giving him he last 30 minutes is about building him up for an even bigger year in 2019. Was dominant until given a starting role against the Titans.

Et getting close to an early retirement. The number of infringements - ridiculous

Finally, we miss rowdy badly and dare I say Aloiai as we need at least one bigger body on each edge.

Id be tempted to bench Packer, but think it throws the balance off as Twal doesn't look ready to start.
Appreciate your opinion with the greatest respect.

However I totally disagree with you on Packer - imo he is doing what Cleary wants him to do. Matulino has been playing very well recently after getting over the injury.

Also totally disagree with your assessment of Taylor - when you have someone else in the team that can slow the PTB down as well as him (obviously you are going to get the odd penalty especially with the Ref nit picking ), then retire him ...can't see anyone doing his job as well in the current team myself.

iofthetigers

Post by iofthetigers » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:38 pm

With Lawrence & Mahe due back this week it will be interesting to see who misses out

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:51 pm

old man tiger wrote:

ET has the job of slowing the middle down. Of course he is going to have the most infringements. You can't give a bloke a job like that and then turn around and complain when he's the most penalised player. He should be. A lot of the top teams this season seem happy to give away penalties rather than let the opposition get any momentum. The Roosters were constantly doing it to Souths the other night and could have been penalised twice as much as they were.

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:53 pm

I disagree tbh. Due to the way we defend and ivans choices in regards to ball running both packer and mats roles dont appear to be the same as other clubs props.
We dont use our frowards as rams much we move the ball around alot more and really empahsis our outside backs.
Added to that we ask alot of our piggies in regards to defence. I think that if we missed fewer tackles and dominated defense a little better our forwards wouldnt be as gassed.
Mats and packer are doing fine imo id like more metres but i appreciate all the off the ball stuff. And leadership they bring.

hodgo

Post by hodgo » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:54 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm
Packer is a benchie don't worry about that..15 mins starting and 15mins finishing = benchie
When we are under the pump he is the first person the coach turns to for bigger minutes doesnt let us down

NT Tiger

Post by NT Tiger » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:03 pm

Nelson wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:51 pm
old man tiger wrote:

ET has the job of slowing the middle down. Of course he is going to have the most infringements. You can't give a bloke a job like that and then turn around and complain when he's the most penalised player. He should be. A lot of the top teams this season seem happy to give away penalties rather than let the opposition get any momentum. The Roosters were constantly doing it to Souths the other night and could have been penalised twice as much as they were.
I agree, but it's a pity there is no-one to share that with ET to take some of the ref focus off him.
"Quality Stupidity"

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:17 pm

NT Tiger wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:03 pm
Nelson wrote:
old man tiger wrote:

I agree, but it's a pity there is no-one to share that with ET to take some of the ref focus off him.
Exactly - and also to take a share of the barbs from the Forum.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:34 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:17 pm
NT Tiger wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:03 pm
Nelson wrote:
old man tiger wrote:

Exactly - and also to take a share of the barbs from the Forum.
I mean no disrespect to ET, and appreciate all opinions. No barbs from me, I have an opinion but wish the best for all members of our squad. I will happily change my mind, like I did with the Huth.

When I see ET looking at ref just waiting for a penalty against him I wonder what we gain. Thought he played well overall yesterday especially his contributions in attack, he just didn't have this much niggle previously.

On Packer we can agree to disagree. I just wonder why his role would have changed as he cracked the ton early in the season, and just doesn't take enough hit ups for mine when you have guys like MWZ and Kev trying to make metres out of trouble.

old man tiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by old man tiger » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:37 pm

Nelson wrote:
old man tiger wrote:

Understand what you are saying, feel it has been to our detriment for a month or so. Can't erase the memory of him passing off the ground and maybe that is contributing to me assessment, I have always rated him and found him an intelligent player.

I think time out of grade helped Sue this year and feel like it could have helped ET too (due to HIAs).

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 1:40 pm

hodgo wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:54 pm
Geo. wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 12:23 pm
When we are under the pump he is the first person the coach turns to for bigger minutes doesnt let us down
exactly what you want from a benchie..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am
OK I was wrong
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:13 am
I know at times I'm not always the brightest light in the kitchen

yeti

Post by yeti » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 2:51 pm

It's also a fair bet that at this time of the year, most of the forwards will be carrying injuries of some description. Russell may well be playing pretty busted.

hsvjones

Post by hsvjones » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 2:52 pm

Packer does not make many meters at all and we all know that.. However he seems to bring the best out of the team and does the little things.. This is evident in our games when he goes off we tend to let in point (last 20 mins of 1st half ) and the (1st 20 mins of the 2nd half).. Clearly yesterday once he come back on the raiders slowed down..

Thoughts on Ben M - I actually though yesterday on 2 occasions if he was a damaging runner like the raiders forwards were he would of scored but just gave in for the tackle.

I would drop him instead of packer but agree with most others that we need to buy 2 damaging runners E.g. Marty Taupau, Fonus-Blake etc...

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 3:03 pm

Righto ....you’ve asked for it and here it is ...

The Russell Packer plodder scale !

Speed 5/5
Explosiveness 4/5
Ability 3/5
Experience/ number of games 2/5
Wrongness of head 5/5

Total 19/25

The higher the score the more the effective ploddering !

Unfortunately lack of speed , explosiveness and wrongness of head make him a plodder .
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Russell

Post by Russell » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 3:03 pm

hsvjones wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 2:52 pm
Packer does not make many meters at all and we all know that.. However he seems to bring the best out of the team and does the little things.. This is evident in our games when he goes off we tend to let in point (last 20 mins of 1st half ) and the (1st 20 mins of the 2nd half).. Clearly yesterday once he come back on the raiders slowed down..

Thoughts on Ben M - I actually though yesterday on 2 occasions if he was a damaging runner like the raiders forwards were he would of scored but just gave in for the tackle.

I would drop him instead of packer but agree with most others that we need to buy 2 damaging runners E.g. Marty Taupau, Fonus-Blake etc...
Mats was one of our best - why would you drop him?

Post by 851 » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 3:35 pm

Russell wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 3:03 pm
hsvjones wrote:
Mon 13 Aug, 2018 2:52 pm

Mats was one of our best - why would you drop him?
Exactly, he was very good yesterday, and has been on the improve the last few weeks, Packer actually was very good in his last stint, got some great offloads and quick play the balls
Go hard or go home

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 3:45 pm

Thought Packer played well yesterday, increased minutes on his first spell even.
Its an opinion!