Esan Marsters Pick For the NZ Squad

Wests Tigers Discussion
TheDaBoss

Esan Marsters Pick For the NZ Squad

Post by TheDaBoss » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 8:05 pm

Marsters, who was recently named the club's Best New Talent for 2018, made his international debut for New Zealand earlier this year as part of the Denver Test match against England.

The 22-year-old has once again been named by Coach Michael Maguire in the extended squad for the upcoming Trans-Tasman showdown, which will see the Junior Kiwis, Kiwi Ferns and Kiwis all face off against their Australian counterparts at the same ground for the first time since 2014.

The wider squad for New Zealand will be narrowed down next month ahead of the Trans-Tasman Test, with the Kiwis set to field a much stronger side than the did in the mid-year Pacific Test against England.

Regular representatives Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Jordan Rapana, Shaun Johnson, Kevin Proctor, Jesse Bromwich, Adam Blair and Tohu Harris have all been included in the squad by Maguire, as well as a number of fresh faces including Bulldogs winger Reimis Smith and Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i.

Wests Tigers would like to congratulate Esan on his selection in the wider New Zealand squad!

2018 NEW ZEALAND WIDER SQUAD
Jamayne Isaako (Brisbane Broncos), Jordan Kahu (Brisbane Broncos), Kodi Nikorima (Brisbane Broncos), Jordan Rapana (Canberra Raiders), Joseph Tapine (Canberra Raiders), Raymond Faitala-Mariner (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Reimis Smith (Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs), Sosaia Feki (Cronulla Sharks), Kevin Proctor (Gold Coast Titans), Martin Taupau (Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles), Nelson Asofa-Solomona (Melbourne Storm), Jesse Bromwich (Melbourne Storm), Kenny Bromwich (Melbourne Storm), Jahrome Hughes (Melbourne Storm), Brandon Smith (Melbourne Storm), Herman Ese'ese (Newcastle Knights), Danny Levi (Newcastle Knights), Te Maire Martin (North Queensland Cowboys), James Fisher-Harris (Penrith Panthers), Corey Harawira-Naera (Penrith Panthers), Dallin Watene-Zelezniak (Penrith Panthers), Dean Whare (Penrith Panthers), Leeson Ah Mau (St. George-Illawarra Dragons), Isaac Liu (Sydney Roosters), Joseph Manu (Sydney Roosters), Jared Waerea-Hargreaves (Sydney Roosters), Gerard Beale (New Zealand Warriors), Adam Blair (New Zealand Warriors), Tohu Harris (New Zealand Warriors), Peta Hiku (New Zealand Warriors), Shaun Johnson (New Zealand Warriors), Isaac Luke (New Zealand Warriors), Ken Maumalo (New Zealand Warriors), Isaiah Papali'i (New Zealand Warriors), Roger Tuivasa-Sheck (New Zealand Warriors), Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers) — Head Coach: Michael Maguire

WswWt

Post by WswWt » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 9:08 pm

that is actually one quality team... the best they have fielded in years. They are stocked for backline depth

will1999

Post by will1999 » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 9:26 pm

would be tough to pick the best 17 out of all those players

will1999

Post by will1999 » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 9:27 pm

how does Danny Levi make it

Post by 851 » Thu 06 Sep, 2018 9:33 pm

That is one huge squad, every kiwi made it
Go hard or go home

LCA

Post by LCA » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:57 pm

Good on him.

I know this won't go down well with my fellow WT fans but, I think he's just a bit ahead of himself...? a bit lazy at times, a bit casual in his attitude at times? I don't quite get the hype about him.

Would love to be proven wrong in 2019 and beyond.

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Fri 07 Sep, 2018 7:37 pm

I in no way support the publication this was taken from and never take sports journalists words as gospel, but wanted to highlight some of Marsters stats in their team of the year. It only makes me think what he could do if he were in any of those Top 4 teams.
Given he’s made a positional switch and is only 16-18 or whatever months into first grade, I think it’s excusable. I agree it’s frustrating that he is super talented yet never fully uses it at the best of times. His running game can be fairly destructive at times and I think his lateral movement is rather strong. I absolutely love watching him on his day and only hope he can play consistently well. Think he’s got the goods to be a future superstar. But I just hope he works on reducing his complacency in crucial moments.

CENTRES
Latrell Mitchell

It’s feast or famine with the Roosters star and there was a whole lot of feasting in 2018. Mitchell led all centres in tries, line breaks and tackle busts, emerging as one of the games most damaging backs while also taking up the goal kicking duties and finishing second on the pointscoring lists. His touches are not as numerous as some other players, but his impact is difficult to deny.
Esan Marsters
Where Mitchell was light on grunt and big on attacking stats, Marsters is the other side of the coin. The young Tiger could only manage three tries from 24 matches but but he was the only centre to crack 3000 metres gained and his 126 metres per match was the biggest average of any centre who played at least 15 games. He also lead all centres in offloads with 49 and was fifth in tackle busts with 65.

kingbrooks

Post by kingbrooks » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 7:32 am

LCA wrote:
Fri 07 Sep, 2018 6:57 pm
Good on him.

I know this won't go down well with my fellow WT fans but, I think he's just a bit ahead of himself...? a bit lazy at times, a bit casual in his attitude at times? I don't quite get the hype about him.

Would love to be proven wrong in 2019 and beyond.
He had a blinder in Round 1 vs the Roosters and never got to that level again. He has good stats, but all Tigers backs do as they have to compensate for our forward pack who cant go forward. That doesnt mean he has any impact on the game though. I don't really remember any try assists or genuine line breaks.. I do remember him skipping outside his man vs souths to set up a great try, but other than that not a lot.

His problem to me is he is not a genuine centre who runs good line or trys to get outside his man etc. All he really does is come into dummy half and make runs, which to me would be better if he actually went into first receiver and ran the ball. I don't think any opposition teams were really worried about Masters like you do other centres where you think "gee we really need to shut this guy down" etc.

shakey4d

Post by shakey4d » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 8:09 am

851 wrote:
Thu 06 Sep, 2018 9:33 pm
That is one huge squad, every kiwi made it
More players selected than clubs are able to select for the entire season!

Clearyweareone

Post by Clearyweareone » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 10:01 am

Marsters has been a great find for the WT however I don't feel he is using his huge frame to the best of it's advantage.

Would love him to run hard and straight and be more selective with his passes.

I find he can be lazy during games or go missing.

Hope he kicks on next year as we need some players to take us forward big time

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 11:06 am

Looks like they've picked every kiwi in the nrl!
No more plodders!
:sign:

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 08 Sep, 2018 11:17 am

kingbrooks wrote:
Sat 08 Sep, 2018 7:32 am
His problem to me is he is not a genuine centre who runs good line or trys to get outside his man etc. All he really does is come into dummy half and make runs, which to me would be better if he actually went into first receiver and ran the ball. I don't think any opposition teams were really worried about Masters like you do other centres where you think "gee we really need to shut this guy down" etc.
I don't quite agree with that. He is the type of centre who gets early ball and tries to beat his defender with footwork. That's a genuine type of centre. He's not going to be fast enough to go in and away, so he's more about drawing defenders for an outside or inside offload. In that respect he's done just fine this season.

I agree though he doesn't often run hard lines for the halves. But he can learn, right? He has decent speed, size and late footwork to run confidently into holes, he just needs to develop the feel for it.

At the moment they just give him early ball, and frankly our RHS edge forward options do not help him at all.

Only his first full year though; I'd be happy enough with all juniors developing at the rate of Marsters.

Long-term I can only assume he gets a bit slower and heavier and moves back to the backrow, so long as he lifts his workload.

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 9:14 pm

I know there was a lot of criticism over Nofo and Teddy in last year’s team, but it’s still good to see Marsters there.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 7:09 am

Lauren wrote:
Tue 11 Sep, 2018 9:14 pm
I know there was a lot of criticism over Nofo and Teddy in last year’s team, but it’s still good to see Marsters there.

surely thats not Thurston at half.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 8:05 am

diedpretty wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 7:09 am
Lauren wrote:

Why wouldn't it be - he is still the best, even when he is not in top form.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 4:23 pm

Russell wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 8:05 am
diedpretty wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Its this years dream team - stop living in the past - i realise you can only have 1 player picked from each team but even there were halfback ahead of team from teams with no players picked.

diedpretty

Post by diedpretty » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 4:27 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 4:23 pm
Russell wrote:
diedpretty wrote:
Lauren wrote:

Its this years dream team - stop living in the past - i realise you can only have 1 player picked from each team but even there were halfback ahead of team from teams with no players picked.
Apparently you can have more than one player - Cronulla and Melbourne have 2 - so in other words Thurston was better than every other half in the comp this year - rubbish.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 5:43 pm

diedpretty wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 4:27 pm
diedpretty wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 4:23 pm
Russell wrote:
diedpretty wrote:

Apparently you can have more than one player - Cronulla and Melbourne have 2 - so in other words Thurston was better than every other half in the comp this year - rubbish.
Who was better - simple????

Don't just say rubbish.