P. C HAS TAKEN OVER

Wests Tigers State Cup Discussion
steve-o

Re: P. C HAS TAKEN OVER

Post by steve-o » Tue 11 Sep, 2018 9:57 am

Chicken and the egg... you won’t get a quality product until you have enough women playing the game, but you won’t have as many playing if there is not a level that plenty of women can aspire to (only so many can play for the Jillaroos, a top flight comp offers much more opportunity and appeal).
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 12:33 pm

How long before they start demanding to be paid the same as the men?

I'm sure talks are already under way.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 2:20 pm

Abraham wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 12:33 pm

Well, y'know, they only play 60 mins.

Nelson

Post by Nelson » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 2:40 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Tue 11 Sep, 2018 8:28 am
Masterton wrote:
Tue 11 Sep, 2018 7:55 am
The Patriot wrote:
Tue 11 Sep, 2018 6:43 am
Geo. wrote:
Mon 10 Sep, 2018 10:50 pm

Have you watched any Women's games...it good enough.....

Would they beat a state cup team?
That's a specious argument. Let's not show any female athletics at the olympics because they'd never beat the blokes.

For me, it's all about the game. Women's AFL is deplorable. The league is good quality.
I see what your saying. Im all for womens soccer. Its great to watch.

One on a side note, if there was one sport where you could trial a mixed league soccer would be it.

Im not against womens rugby league but at this point in time its more about virtue signalling than it being a quality product deserving of its new found place in the sports calendar.
I watched the NSW U/15's soccer team destroy the Matildas about 7-1 in a warm up match for the 2016 Olympics...you could have a mixed league at some levels but not at the top level. The difference in speed, height and strength is massive even if they're capable of matching it skill-wise (which some no doubt can).

Go You Good Things

Post by Go You Good Things » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 3:18 pm

Nelson, you are right, and the example of that 15's side spells out the cold hard facts.
Don't get me wrong . . . there's plenty of things I love about women . . . but in soccer they just are a world apart.
If you put a gun girls 15/1's up against an average boys 13/2's .. . you might get a contest.
But on the whole . . . and this is across different Sydney associations, ages and skill divisions . . . girl's soccer is woefully behind the boys game.
Not saying they don't try. Not saying they don't have fun. I get that some girls might not have competitive motivations to play. Just saying the difference is absolutely massive.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 4:17 pm

I think you guys are on the money with the top class male competition being too strong but are looking at it a bit wrong with the women.

If it was mixed I'm sure there are some positions where accuracy, patience, ability under pressure etc ate more important than speed and power.
Its an opinion!

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:35 am

jirskyr wrote:
Wed 12 Sep, 2018 2:20 pm
Abraham wrote:

Just like the skirts at Wimbeldon only play three sets, that didn't stop them whinging their way to equal pay with the blokes.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:34 am

Abraham wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:35 am
jirskyr wrote:
Abraham wrote:

Just like the skirts at Wimbeldon only play three sets, that didn't stop them whinging their way to equal pay with the blokes.
careful you might be called "sexist"
but you always have the following cards at your disposal:
* I am a father card
* I am a poor male card

cochise

Post by cochise » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:45 am

Abraham wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Abraham wrote:

I agree that for equal pay the women should be playing 5 set as well, the reason they asked for equal pay in tennis is the fact that the viewership for women is a lot closer to the men than in most sports around the world.

When Women's Rugby League is rating similar to men's then I'm sure there will be an argument for equal pay.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:31 am

Abraham wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Abraham wrote:

I was joking.

Public interest drives athletes salaries.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 12:25 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 10:31 am
Abraham wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Abraham wrote:

I was joking.

Public interest drives athletes salaries.
So was I :lol:

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 12:44 pm

tsjonathan wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:34 am
Abraham wrote:
jirskyr wrote:
Abraham wrote:

careful you might be called "sexist"
but you always have the following cards at your disposal:
* I am a father card
* I am a poor male card
I get called sexist all the time ... usually by single women... which may explain why they are single :D

Truth be told, there is nothing more beautiful than a woman who knows how to act like a woman. They are one of life's joys.

Back on topic .. if these girls want to play league then good luck to them. I don't think the average female body was designed to play rugby league, and once the novelty factor wares off, i don't enjoy watching a slower, less skillfull, less physical version of the real thing. But that's just me.

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:22 pm

I have a serious question - is there any issue for female footballers taking regular heavy hits to the chest?

For men it's not really an issue because the pectoral is one of the strongest front muscles and the muscle has no viscera and limited fat between the skin and muscle.

But women have organs there - delicate structure. As far as I'm aware it hurts being struck on the boob, something akin to but not quite as bad as being kicked in the balls.

I saw one of the young Roosters ladies cop an absolute belter of an offensive body-check right on her chest; she didn't get up. I wondered what damage might occur from taking a blow like that?

Harvey

Post by Harvey » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 4:10 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:22 pm
I have a serious question - is there any issue for female footballers taking regular heavy hits to the chest?

For men it's not really an issue because the pectoral is one of the strongest front muscles and the muscle has no viscera and limited fat between the skin and muscle.

But women have organs there - delicate structure. As far as I'm aware it hurts being struck on the boob, something akin to but not quite as bad as being kicked in the balls.

I saw one of the young Roosters ladies cop an absolute belter of an offensive body-check right on her chest; she didn't get up. I wondered what damage might occur from taking a blow like that?
Don’t think there is any damage that a vigorous massage would not help

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 1:20 pm

Harvey wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 4:10 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 5:22 pm

Don’t think there is any damage that a vigorous massage would not help
I did say SERIOUS question.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 2:39 pm

https://www.healthline.com/health/breas ... #treatment

What causes a breast injury?
A breast injury can result in breast contusion (bruises), pain, and tenderness. These symptoms usually heal on their own after a few days. Causes of breast injury may include:

bumping into something hard
being elbowed or hit while playing sports
running or other repetitive movement of the breast without a supportive bra
using a breast pump
a fall or blow to the breast
wearing tight clothing often
Read on to learn more about symptoms, treatment options, and cancer risk.

Read more: Why is there a yellow bruise on my breast? »

Why do breast injury symptoms happen or develop?
An injury to your breast is similar to an injury to any other part of your body. Breast injuries are your body’s reaction to:

damage to the fatty tissue
direct impact, like from a car accident
physical contact while participating in sports
damage to Cooper ligaments from repetitive motion and stretching, like from running without a proper amount of support
surgery
Symptom What to know
Pain and tenderness This usually occurs at the time of the injury but can also appear a few days after.
Bruising (breast contusion) Bruising and swelling can also make the injured breast look larger than normal.
Fat necrosis or lumps Damaged breast tissue can cause fat necrosis. This is a noncancerous lump that’s common after breast injuries or surgery. You may notice the skin is red, dimpled, or bruised. It may or may not be painful.
Hematoma A hematoma is an area of blood buildup where the trauma occurred. This leaves a discolored area similar to a bruise on your skin. A hematoma may take up to 10 days to be visible.
How to treat a breast trauma
Most of the time, breast injury and inflammation can be treated at home.

Do this
Gently apply a cold pack.
In the case of a hematoma, apply a hot compress.
Wear a comfortable bra to support the injured breast.
If you need help with managing pain, see your doctor. They can advise you on the best methods of pain control for you. You can usually ease pain from a traumatic injury with a pain reliever such as ibuprofen (Advil). However, if your pain is from surgery or if you have certain medical conditions, you should not take pain relievers. Talk to your doctor about other options for pain management instead.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:42 pm

There you go, thanks. Honestly never even thought to google breast injury.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Sun 16 Sep, 2018 5:42 am

It probably means that the smaller breast is the safer breast. There is some benefit of being a flat chested girl as some might describe Mitch.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)