Season in Review: Benji Marshall

Wests Tigers Discussion
willow

Post by willow » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:06 pm

Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Thu 13 Sep 2018, 09:31 AM

Benji Marshall's return to Wests Tigers colours in 2018 had basically everything you want from the final chapter of a fairytale.

First, there was the emotion of seeing a Life Member and favourite son back in the colours he had become synonymous with for over a decade. Then there was the brilliance on field to go with it — game-changing moments that saw Wests Tigers finish with the year with a 12-12 record for the first time since 2011.

And like every good ending, there was the realisation that this wasn't the final chapter, with Marshall extending his time with the club for one final season that will likely take him past the 300-game milestone.

While all knew how important Marshall's return would be off the field for both fans and players alike, few could have predicted just how great of an impact he would have on it in 2018. With Josh Reynolds picking up a hamstring injury on the eve of Round 1, the veteran playmaker was thrust in to the halves alongside Luke Brooks and didn't look back — starring as his side started the year with a blistering 5-1 record.

Reynolds' injury-filled year meant Marshall had more of a contribution on field than all perhaps thought he would at the start of the year, with the 33-year-old nursing a calf injury himself for most of the season.

That contribution was certainly noticed as halves partner Luke Brooks delivered his finest season since picking up the Dally M Rookie of the Year in 2014, no coincidence given Marshall's impact on the side.

The Kiwi international finished the year with more tries, points, kick metres, forced dropouts, try assists and run metres than he had in any of the last three seasons, while also chalking up 338 tackles — the most the playmaker has made in any season of his illustrious career to date.

Perhaps the only thing missing from the fairytale was a return to finals football, with the Wests Tigers great no doubt determined to ensure he bows out in style next year with one last hurrah in the top eight.

WHAT STOOD OUT IN 2018
No doubt the biggest thing that stood out most for Marshall throughout the year was his control. His experience of managing key moments late in matches (without necessarily having a lot of points to work with on the scoreboard) was pivotal in Wests Tigers winning a number of matches, and also helping Luke Brooks deliver a fantastic season himself. Marshall starred in the season-opening win over the Roosters, before slotting the winning field goal in a remarkable upset win over Melbourne in Auckland. Close wins throughout the year were also a direct result of Marshall's handiwork his ability to stand up when needed.

WHAT'S TO COME IN 2019
Make no mistake about it — Benji Marshall's decision to play on in 2019 wasn't just for a feel-good story off the field. Sure, it's a brilliant storyline, but the 33-year-old will be determined to contribute as much on field in 2019 as he did in 2018. How that works with Josh Reynolds back from injury still remains to be seen, but the competition for spots in the halves can only be a good thing for all involved. Having Marshall present certainly helped bring out the best of Brooks this year, so you'd expect to see the same again in 2019 with the experienced playmaker assisting both he, Reynolds and Tyson Gamble. Marshall is also just 11 games away from reaching the 300-game milestone — 233 of which have been in Wests Tigers colours.

MILESTONES AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Wests Tigers co-captain (on-field captain five times)

Phillips Sports Dad of the Year finalist

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:11 pm

Look i wasnt a fan of his re-signing but with Reynolds back at least Benji knows he needs to perform.

Worst case scenario he plays State Cup and mentors the young guys. Its a good return for the outlay.
Its an opinion!

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:15 pm

Yawn

No more fluff
Last edited by TigersBusDriver on Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cairnstigers

Post by Cairnstigers » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:15 pm

Well if Marshall can get us off to a good start again next year and share a roll with Reynolds where they both play about 40 minutes a game it might prolong their season and ours
Let's hope both Marshall and Reynolds have a big impact next year
These two guys are key to our success next year
The longer they stay injury free the better for our team
Along with Farah of course
And the whole team for that matter

Post by 851 » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:28 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 7:11 pm
Look i wasnt a fan of his re-signing but with Reynolds back at least Benji knows he needs to perform.

Worst case scenario he plays State Cup and mentors the young guys. Its a good return for the outlay.
That would be ok, but would Benji play all year in ISP waiting for an injury, that is why he should have been given an off field role, not another year on the field.
Go hard or go home

TigersBusDriver

Post by TigersBusDriver » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:35 pm

851 wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 8:28 pm
The Patriot wrote:

That would be ok, but would Benji play all year in ISP waiting for an injury, that is why he should have been given an off field role, not another year on the field.
Not his choice. I doubt Ivan would somehow try to fit him into a first grade role if he is not needed just because he is Benji.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:02 pm

The Patriot wrote:

Worst case scenario is he ends up being our first choice 5/8.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:11 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:02 pm
The Patriot wrote:

Well that flips that then lol. Lets hope not.
Its an opinion!

Dan Blanco

Post by Dan Blanco » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:37 pm

If anyone would like this t-shirt, let me know (size L)
Feel free to delete mods (pardon the photo quality).

Dan Blanco

Post by Dan Blanco » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:40 pm

4 free. Not selling.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:50 pm

Dan Blanco wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:37 pm

Keep it mate , in 80 years time when we still haven't won a premiership it will be worth a mint to one of your grandkiddies

Dan Blanco

Post by Dan Blanco » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:08 am

Happy Tiger, my man. You might be right

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 6:59 am

Dan Blanco wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:08 am
Happy is right keep it under all circumstances.It is possible you may not see another GF win of ours as much as we all want it.

tsjonathan

Post by tsjonathan » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:16 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:50 pm
Dan Blanco wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 11:37 pm

Keep it mate , in 80 years time when we still haven't won a premiership it will be worth a mint to one of your grandkiddies
100 years

Tarl

Post by Tarl » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 2:17 pm

I'm curious as to why NRL teams insist on the same team each week. Certain individuals, Marshall included, noticeably lost quality when playing multiple games in a row. But after enforced stints on the sideline, they returned fresh.

Wouldn't it be better to rest playmakers, maybe have Benji and Reynolds share the role, taking the role for a few weeks at a time, so as to increase their longevity and allow high quality for both players?

Also, this doesn't waste an interchange...

kiwitiger

Post by kiwitiger » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 3:54 pm

gallagher wrote:
Thu 13 Sep, 2018 9:02 pm
The Patriot wrote:

He (and Farah)played every game they were avaiable for this season in first grade - moving the big money signing 5/8 to dummy half( in Marshalls case), yet suddenly he (and Farah) are going to become ISP players, according to some. I expect both in first grade next year. Both will play 300, the club will promote the 300, and tbh it's up to there competition to prove they should be picked ahead of them....so far they have not. That's the sad fact. It's not his fault he's picked.
:sign: this emoji is out of place but i feel this is how we roll, so celebrate it

willow

Post by willow » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 4:13 pm

Tarl wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 2:17 pm
I'm curious as to why NRL teams insist on the same team each week. Certain individuals, Marshall included, noticeably lost quality when playing multiple games in a row. But after enforced stints on the sideline, they returned fresh.

Wouldn't it be better to rest playmakers, maybe have Benji and Reynolds share the role, taking the role for a few weeks at a time, so as to increase their longevity and allow high quality for both players?

Also, this doesn't waste an interchange...
Because Reynolds spent most of the season injured.

Dan Blanco

Post by Dan Blanco » Fri 14 Sep, 2018 5:01 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 6:59 am
Dan Blanco wrote:
Fri 14 Sep, 2018 12:08 am
Happy is right keep it under all circumstances.It is possible you may not see another GF win of ours as much as we all want it.
Right on, guys. I might hang onto it 4 a year or two more...Thank you for your input & honesty.

Needless 2 say - I hope we won't have to wait 2 long 4 another premiership! :arrow: