R. I. P. Balmain

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
Spook

Re: R. I. P. Balmain

Post by Spook » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 11:45 am

When the Keneally State Govt. forced the clubs hand to move by indicating the site was required for public purposes (Metro) and then reversed their decision, subsequent legal opinion sought by the club was that they had no legal recourse.
It makes you wonder if this advice still holds given the fact that after 10 years, the State Govt once again enters proceedings and effectively kills off the club.

By the same token the club management has been terrible. Balmain has a huge supporter base throughout Australia, yet management has never sought to organize or mobilize financial or any other type of support from them. Souths had no trouble rallying the masses to ensure their survival.

They don't even appear to be aware of their own history. On the "About Us" page of their site, they state " Balmain Leagues Club was purpose built in 1957". The first stage of the Victoria Rd club opened in 1963, the previous club premises were in Nelson Street. ( An ex factory that had belonged to the Albert Family (music publishing Co,) :bawling
http://www.tigers.org.au/index.php/about-us-home/

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 11:57 am

Very painful when you lose your club

My Brisbane Rugby League club Wests Panthers are dead bar having a feeder side through Mitchellton in juniors

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 12:06 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 29 Oct, 2018 11:57 am

My Brisbane Rugby League club Wests Panthers are dead bar having a feeder side through Mitchellton in juniors
It's the Leagues Club that has gone into Receivership...The football Club remains for now...while under threat I can see Wests Ashfield stepping in as they already do moreso to keep the Junior pathways alive...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 12:09 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 29 Oct, 2018 12:06 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 29 Oct, 2018 11:57 am

It's the Leagues Club that has gone into Receivership...The football Club remains for now...while under threat I can see Wests Ashfield stepping in as they already do moreso to keep the Junior pathways alive...
The only thing left of my Wests Panthers is the memories :cry:

But they only have themselves to blame , they bought players / premierships in the 70's when the game was at its peak fans wise and by the early 80's you be lucky to get 3000 at a club game

They just never dug themselves out a debt despite making 4 GF's in the 90's , winning back to back in 93

Can't remember who we beat .............can you Watto ?? :mrgreen:

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 12:25 pm

I understand the vitriol for Elias, but at the end of the day it is the Board who is responsible for the Club's current position.

Elias brokered a deal to save the Club from going under, and slugged them a massive ongoing management fee for doing so. The club was under no obligation to accept the deal, or make any of their subsequent bumbling decisions, but did so anyway.

They had no plan B or C, and so when the development application fell over, just persisted with the same failing plan. That's on them, not Elias.

Byron Bay Fan

Post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 12:45 pm

Abraham wrote:
Mon 29 Oct, 2018 12:25 pm
I understand the vitriol for Elias, but at the end of the day it is the Board who is responsible for the Club's current position.

Elias brokered a deal to save the Club from going under, and slugged them a massive ongoing management fee for doing so. The club was under no obligation to accept the deal, or make any of their subsequent bumbling decisions, but did so anyway.

They had no plan B or C, and so when the development application fell over, just persisted with the same failing plan. That's on them, not Elias.
But who was responsible for the development applications, I thought it was the mob that Benny had got involved with? At face value they seemed to me to have buckley's chance of getting through. But didn't Benny campaign hard to get the deal up and running? Only from what I read he was getting signatures at fixtures, presumably using his good will and status.

There should have been accountants and lawyers on behalf of the Club consulting planning consultants to gauge what chance of success - did this occur? I think a high management fee should have been conditional on the development applications getting approved otherwise the Club is like on a hiding to nothing.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 1:33 pm

Hailing from central NSW I am genuinely interested in learning more about this and also have some other questions.

I've only just spotted this thread and haven't read any posts as of yet but since I saw something on Twitter last night I've been meaning to ask forum members if they could kindly give some background details.

My questions are:
Does this in any way impact the Wests Tigers Brand at all? What happens to the Balmain Rugby League Club (junior clubs also) and is it in anyway salvageable?
Thanks

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 2:04 pm

Lauren wrote:
Mon 29 Oct, 2018 1:33 pm
Hailing from central NSW I am genuinely interested in learning more about this and also have some other questions.

I've only just spotted this thread and haven't read any posts as of yet but since I saw something on Twitter last night I've been meaning to ask forum members if they could kindly give some background details.

My questions are:
Does this in any way impact the Wests Tigers Brand at all? What happens to the Balmain Rugby League Club (junior clubs also) and is it in anyway salvageable?
Thanks
My understanding is that Wests Ashfield are already assisting with the Balmain Juniors clubs, not sure how the funding structure of the WT currently works with Balmain RLFC not being able to fund their part. I would think that the club are working to a point where they do not rely on Ashfield or Balmain for any money, and any additional funding in the meantime is provided by Ashfield.

Happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 4:04 pm

Lauren
Balmain's 25% is currently being funded by the NRL...

Should they default Wests Ashfield has 1st and Final offer to cover the debt...there is also the option for an independent party to take over the 25%...neither of these are the preferred option with the hope BDRLFCcan become viable...

As for Juniors Wests Ashfield along with RydeEastwood currently fund the program ...i believe that will continue...

As for the Wests Tigers brand..it stands alone..so no impact at all really...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Lauren

Post by Lauren » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 6:08 pm

Thanks guys. Was genuinely concerned about the impact of the Wests Tigers brand and whether this jeopardised the immediate future of our junior clubs. There is some very interesting stuff in this thread and it stirs up some feelings, that’s for sure. Only makes me think if I’m doing enough or whether I can help furthermore as a fan/supporter.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 7:55 pm

Geo. wrote:
Mon 29 Oct, 2018 4:04 pm
Lauren
Balmain's 25% is currently being funded by the NRL...

Should they default Wests Ashfield has 1st and Final offer to cover the debt...there is also the option for an independent party to take over the 25%...neither of these are the preferred option with the hope BDRLFCcan become viable...

As for Juniors Wests Ashfield along with RydeEastwood currently fund the program ...i believe that will continue...

As for the Wests Tigers brand..it stands alone..so no impact at all really...
Forgot about the sunset date on the Balmain debt with NRL. Didn't realise RE were still funding juniors.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 29 Oct, 2018 8:31 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Sun 28 Oct, 2018 1:48 pm
rozelle rudy wrote:
Sun 28 Oct, 2018 12:27 am
jirskyr wrote:
Sat 27 Oct, 2018 9:14 am
Imagine if you wanted to renovate your house and the council told you you had to buy other properties around you to make it happen, then the government told you they'd be bringing a train station in around the corner from your house.

And you spent all your money suring-up local property and preparing large renovation plans, ensuring you had ample parking and thinking about the new property values once the train station was completed.

And then the government asked you to move out whilst they started work on the station, and you'd be back in a jiffy.

And then the government changed, the station is cancelled, nobody wants to approve your plans, you can't get back into your house and you own these properties you don't need.

If you were to remove any major club from it's primary premises for a decade, whilst also blocking plans for a refurbishment, you'd put any one of them out of business.

I'll never really know whether or not Tigers' renovation plans were excessive or unrealistic, but considering they approved those monstrous Balmain power station developments a decade earlier, I can't understand how the council suddenly became so concerned about traffic and building heights.
The Balmain Shores land was zoned for high density, Victoria Road isn't. The developer put up plans that meant you couldn't move the cars out of the site.
Can council not zone whatever they like however they choose? Also I don't get how you can say Victoria Rd isn't zoned for high density, when Balmain Shores feeds onto Victoria Rd? It's like saying the Ryde Bridge isn't zoned for high density but you build 10,000 units in Rhodes.

I am sure the developers for the Leagues Club put up "aggressive" plans, but you are supposed to be able to negotiate the outcome.

The thing I'll never understand about the Rozelle area is owners and council trying to keep it as "village" as possible, despite it being a 10 minute drive from the CBD of a city of almost 5M people. High density is coming everywhere, it's the only way we can support the population growth.

I live 30 mins from the CBD and even in the last 5 years the number of units and duplexs going up in place of houses is striking. If you want the space and the lack of traffic, move to West or The Sticks, or the West of Sticks.

I used to live in a 12-storey building (120 units) that opened onto a main road - not such a big deal with traffic and you could only pull into the building from one side.

Don't quote me, but all councils have to submit a LED (Local Environment Plan)to the State Government.
Once submitted the council can't go and approve any development that contravenes this plan.
This happened at Bathurst a few years ago, where one councillor's father-in-law had a large rural block of land that was zoned Rural only.
The councillor snuck the de-zoning through in the middle of their budget papers (with the knowledge of his fellow councillors).
When this re-zoning was submitted to the NSW planning Dept., they knocked it on the head because it was against the LEP.
This would have turned his $500K block of land into $20m.