Maguire ready to wake the sleeping giant Wests Tigers

Wests Tigers Discussion
WT2K

Maguire ready to wake the sleeping giant Wests Tigers

Post by WT2K » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 12:38 pm

New Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire is returning to the NRL a wiser coach
Michael Maguire has woken sleeping giants before. He wants to do it again as he prepares to take control of the Wests Tigers.

“I see it as a big club,” Maguire told The Australian. “It has a massive membership base. I was very fortunate to see the fans enjoy what I created at South (Sydney).

“I think it is a huge club and it is a bit of a sleeping giant if we get it going and get it up to the heights we all want.

“I am really happy. We have a lot of good things and people in place. The club itself is financial now.

“That is what was appealing to me — where the club was at.”

Maguire was confirmed as the Tigers’ new coach at the weekend, taking over from Ivan Cleary with the club still in the midst of a rebuild.

He was also in the mix for the Brisbane Broncos but has no complaints with how the coaching merry-go-round came to a halt — Anthony Seibold, the man who replaced him at Souths, is expected to be confirmed as Broncos coach for 2020 today.

While he is overseas for another fortnight with the New Zealand side, Maguire wasted no time speaking to the club’s leadership group and is genuinely enthused about working with the players, in particular halfback Luke Brooks.

The 23-year-old, who went close to winning the Dally M Medal this year, is off contract at the end of next season and his retention will be a priority for Maguire as he plans for the future.

Brooks can begin fielding offers from rival clubs tomorrow but Maguire won’t give him up without a fight.

“He is a great talent, he is my style of half,” Maguire said.

“He can play straight, he gets deep into the line, he pushes the team around the park, he has a good kick on him and he puts his body in front defensively.

“He is definitely my style of half so I am looking forward to working with him.”

Maguire arrives at the Tigers having used his sabbatical wisely. Not long after he parted ways with Souths at the end of 2017, he travelled to Africa with aid agency Caritas Australia.

He spent time at myriad sporting organisations, using the opportunities to broaden his own knowledge in preparation for his return.

He visited the Melbourne Storm, where he was once an assistant coach to Craig Bellamy, on at least two occasions. He crossed the Tasman and spent time with New Zealand rugby union clubs.

He satiated his hunger to coach by accepting a job with New Zealand — only a fortnight ago he led the Kiwis to a win over Australia.

He took a job at the NRL where he worked with the referees. At each stop along the way, he picked up information that he believes has made him a better coach.

When the opportunity came to return to the NRL, he adopted the patient approach, confident in the belief that his ability and resume would create an opening.

He considered Manly. He spoke to Brisbane.

Ultimately, the Tigers held sway and Maguire could not have been more impressed with the club and their leadership.

“I think I have been patient,” Maguire said.

“I looked at a few things along the way and did a few things around the NRL. It was really good to learn around other areas of the game and people within the game.

“It has been a really good time for me even though I wanted to be in the game coaching.

“Coaching is obviously what I love doing.”

Maguire already has a premiership, having led Souths to their first title in more than 40 years. However, he is confident he returns a better coach than the one who parted ways with the Rabbitohs at the end of 2017. His critics suggest he is too intense but Maguire has learned to stop and smell the roses.

He never forgot the privileged position he occupied — only this week it emerged he sent a package of Souths memorabilia to a nine-year-old Rabbitohs fan who had written a letter thanking him for what he had done with his former club.

“Time will tell but I reckon I am more aware of things now rather than just being so focused about what goes on in one club,” he said.

“I am aware of what goes on around the game. I would like to think the relationships I have had time to build over the last 12 months have helped me.

“I was able to get over to New Zealand and get into various clubs over there and meet people. I have definitely looked at other sports and spent time understanding what makes a club and how it ticks.

“I think I have a deeper knowledge now of what makes a club. Also enjoying it while I am doing it. Sometimes you are in the heat and not realising how great the job is.

“It has made me really appreciate what it is to build a team and a strong team.

“I learnt a lot off refs, I learnt a lot off administrators, I learnt a lot off the international game. I like to think it is going to make me a bit wiser.”

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/sport/ ... ssion=true
No more plodders!
:sign:

Post by 851 » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 1:20 pm

He seems really keen, and Brooks will like what he says about him and his game, he thinks we should be a big club, lets hope he takes us there
Go hard or go home

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 1:25 pm

I wish our performances improve by 1% for every fluff piece we will be fed by the start of the season.We would be unbeatable

colmcd

Post by colmcd » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 2:17 pm

I am liking this.

People are saying he is like Jason Taylor, he is not. Jason was Given Pat Richards who literally rewrote the role of a winger and.... moved him on. The only way with Taylor was to have a halfback and fiveEight control the play and score tries like it's 1995.

Yes, McGuire was one dimensional. So was Bennett at StGeorge, (pass down the edge to Morris and score). Hey one dimension that works can get us a premiership.

If McGuire has learned how to think outside of the box then we can move with him into the top 8. We were a lucky 9 this season, I reckon we will make the 8 this time.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 2:23 pm

Im happy.

His appointment will assist our credibility as a club.

Defense will remain a focus. I have always wanted the tigers to be a team to be hard to beat.

Brooks will flourish under new regime.

avocadoontoast

Post by avocadoontoast » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 2:24 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 1:25 pm
I wish our performances improve by 1% for every fluff piece we will be fed by the start of the season.We would be unbeatable
If Benji's performance improved by 1% for every piece he's done alone this offseason he'd be favourite for the golden boot. I think Paul Langmack was the only coach he didn't endorse for the head coaching role.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 3:08 pm

Ok fluffity fluff fluff..

Results thank you...
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 3:18 pm

Brace yourself, a new coach, fluff deluxe is headed our way.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

tiger05premier

Post by tiger05premier » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 3:34 pm

Good luck Maguire

Hope you coach us for 10+ years

That should mean some great success along the way

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 3:50 pm

Think this might be the best off season ever coming up.
Need more props.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 3:57 pm

It's great to hear someone within the club acknowledging that we are a big club.

Snake

Post by Snake » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 4:06 pm

Is Luke Brooks a ghost writer for the club ? Reading that article I suspect he is ...or Mcguire needs to go to spec savers on his return as a few of those quotes are a bit baffling to say the least !

Snake

Post by Snake » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 4:10 pm

gallagher wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 3:57 pm
It's great to hear someone within the club acknowledging that we are a big club.
I have been saying this for over a decade ! But until the situation of playing out of one home ground and the galvanising of the supportter base is brought forth this strength will never be realise unfortunately .

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 4:16 pm

Snake wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 4:10 pm
gallagher wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 3:57 pm
I have been saying this for over a decade ! But until the situation of playing out of one home ground and the galvanising of the supportter base is brought forth this strength will never be realise unfortunately .
Agreed

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 4:23 pm

Snake wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 4:06 pm
Is Luke Brooks a ghost writer for the club ? Reading that article I suspect he is ...or Mcguire needs to go to spec savers on his return as a few of those quotes are a bit baffling to say the least !
I know who needs spec savers based on 2018. ..its not Madge..
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 4:33 pm

Dally M halfback of the year and still gets panned. Not much more the kid can do besides win the medal outright, which he only fell three votes short of mind...
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

TCL
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by TCL » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 7:10 pm

The fluff is back baby, beauty salons across the country will be closing down.

Rather be reading fluff pieces instead of stories about coaching or player/club misbehaving stories.

Looking forward to seeing how the team is going to play under Maguire.

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Wed 31 Oct, 2018 7:49 pm

WT2K wrote:
Wed 31 Oct, 2018 12:38 pm

New Wests Tigers coach Michael Maguire is returning to the NRL a wiser coach
Michael Maguire has woken sleeping giants before. He wants to do it again as he prepares to take control of the Wests Tigers.

“I see it as a big club,” Maguire told The Australian. “It has a massive membership base. I was very fortunate to see the fans enjoy what I created at South (Sydney).

“I think it is a huge club and it is a bit of a sleeping giant if we get it going and get it up to the heights we all want.

“I am really happy. We have a lot of good things and people in place. The club itself is financial now.

“That is what was appealing to me — where the club was at.”

He mentions the word 'aware' a bit, lets hope he is 'aware' one of his biggest challenges he is going to face is that other people in the game do not want us to be a "big club"

Nice wrap on Luke brooks, obviously a contract negotiation.

All good.
Its an opinion!