Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch.9 Delay
willow

It's Miller's time at last as young cub earns stripes

Post by willow » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:42 am

It's Miller's time at last as young cub earns stripes with late show
Glenn Jackson - SMH
April 4, 2011

LIFE can be confusing for an 18-year-old debutant. Before his first NRL game yesterday, Jacob Miller was warned he might not get on the field. He eventually did, for a 20-minute cameo for Wests Tigers, only to be told afterwards he might not get on the field next week.

''I'm not going to predict what we're doing next week,'' Tigers coach Tim Sheens said.

After naming Miller at halfback for yesterday's clash against the Roosters, his former club, Sheens opted to instead start Tim Moltzen in the position. Moltzen has had previous success at halfback but is working his way back to full match fitness after a knee reconstruction about this time last season.

''Timmy [Moltzen] has got the experience, and he's got the pace, too. He's a very quick halfback. He needed the run,'' Sheens said. ''Today, at least he got his 80 minutes out. It's the first 80 minutes he's played in 12 months.

''We'll see whether or not next week we start that way again, or whether or not I give young Jacob a run.'' Miller came on with the game all but over, and all but out of reach for the Tigers. Thus, he could hardly show the Tigers faithful what he is capable of. Or his coach. But Sheens said he knows what Miller can do, and has left the door open for Friday night against Souths.

''I spoke to Jacob about that [starting yesterday's match from the interchange] before the game,'' Sheens said. ''He might not have got a game. Had the game been close and we were in it, he might not have got out there. At 12-6, we were back in the game into the second half. I wasn't going to make a change at that point, to bring a halfback on.

''But I rate the kid, and I think at some stage he'll be used more. Right at the moment we need experience on the field as well.''

Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall said he felt sorry for Miller having to play his first NRL game with the match all but lost. ''It wasn't an ideal start for Jacob,'' Marshall said.

''I felt a bit sorry for him, having to come in under those circumstances. But I think he handled himself well, and he's got a bright future.''

The one positive is he certainly could not be blamed for the defeat. The damage was done well before he took the field.

''I can only speak for myself, but a lot of the options I took just weren't good enough,'' Marshall said. ''In my head, I've put this behind me. It's about next week now. We play the Rabbitohs on Friday night, and from now on, it's about preparation for this week.

''There's no point dwelling on what could have been or what I could have done. But my performance just wasn't good enough.''

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:52 am

Ahh Sheensanigans

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:57 am

Hopefully Ellis plays on Friday, we certainly need him.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:11 am

I think Benji is being a little hard on himself... He played well, the pigs played well, I truely feel the Roosters simply exploited our weaknesses.

I hope Sheens gives Miller the start this week against Souths... Moltzen isnt the answer at 7!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:14 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:Hopefully Ellis plays on Friday, we certainly need him.
Only if he is 100%, no more stop gap solutions. I'd rather lose a game or two than risk him underdone.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Long Distance Tiger

Post by Long Distance Tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:53 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:Hopefully Ellis plays on Friday, we certainly need him.
Only if he is 100%, no more stop gap solutions. I'd rather lose a game or two than risk him underdone.
Agree 100% CB. The last thing we need is for Ellis to come back for one week, only to be out again for another extended period. I think we'll just have to write off the next few weeks, maybe fluke one or two wins to keep in touch with the top 8. Once everyone's back on deck we'll be a real force to be reckoned with.

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 8:56 am

I don't think having Miller sit on the bench until the game is decided helps anyone. It would take Miller 5-6 weeks to get into the swing of 1st grade- which is when we expect Lui back- so stick with Moltzen at halfback & play Flanagan on the bench- we can use his versatility to cover a number of positions.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 9:36 am

Tiger Watto wrote:I think Benji is being a little hard on himself... He played well, the pigs played well, I truely feel the Roosters simply exploited our weaknesses.

I hope Sheens gives Miller the start this week against Souths... Moltzen isnt the answer at 7!
Yep your right Watto After seeing our edge defence I am starting to swing around on the Dwyer at centre option you mentioned last week We took some really bad options in 2nd half with our kicking game which cost us dearly in the end .

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 9:47 am

happy tiger wrote:
Tiger Watto wrote:I think Benji is being a little hard on himself... He played well, the pigs played well, I truely feel the Roosters simply exploited our weaknesses.

Yep your right Watto After seeing our edge defence I am starting to swing around on the Dwyer at centre option you mentioned last week We took some really bad options in 2nd half with our kicking game which cost us dearly in the end .
Dwyer is struggling to hold onto the ball and is lazy in defence. Why would you move him to a position that is critical in defense and where he has to run onto the ball at speed?
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 9:57 am

Cultured Bogan wrote:
happy tiger wrote:

Dwyer is struggling to hold onto the ball and is lazy in defence. Why would you move him to a position that is critical in defense and where he has to run onto the ball at speed?
Well if Ellis was fit this week I would play Ellis in centres but he isn't so Dwyer will have to do at this stage . Cb don't you think the way we getting overrun on the edges of ruck on Sunday means we need a stronger defender than Daniela in centres that is my reasoning . Souths are going to hit us harder than Roosters did with GI Taylor Asotasi Burgess Sutton hitting us on edge ??

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 10:28 am

Farrell plays on the right Happy... He has found some good form too!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 10:39 am

Tiger Watto wrote:Farrell plays on the right Happy... He has found some good form too!
He may be out he had a slight shoulder dislocation on Friday Watto and hoping Burgess is still another week away and Merritt was struggling also near the end . Point I was trying to make that either side of ruck Souths will have big options targetting our edges and really at times both edges looked shaky at best . We need to solidify our edges at not give easy metres away . I'm not sure what all our options are as we see no NSW cup up here so can't give opinions on outside backs playing for Wests or BRET Only player I can comment on through last years NYC is Jake Clarke but not sure if he can step it up defensively unless he has improved as had some bad defensive reads in the games I saw.