Just watched the replay

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 3 April
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch.9 Delay
simonthetiger

Just watched the replay

Post by simonthetiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 1:44 pm

And it wasnt as bad as I thought having only seen it live at the game.

The boys had a big dig.

Im not that upset.

With a bit of luck we could have stolen that game.

The Rorters tackled their bums off,and we went within a whisker of scoring several times.

On the positive......happier with McKinnon,he was popping up everywhere,thats what we need from him.

Moltz was rusty,but showed us some really classy moments.

Ayshford just keeps improving.....a real handful in attack and defense.

Utai......wow!!!How hard is this guy to tackle.......Im impressed.

And Bunji busted his hump to try and steal that game.

And what about the Sauce.......he has gone to another level,what an animal!!!

The BIG downer for me was the kicking gaem AGAIN!!!SOme real howlers that just destroyed our momentum.Combined with some baffling Archer decisions just cruelled us.

Not ready to slit the wrists yet......the boys are putting in,thats all you can ask for.WIth a bit of luck.......

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 1:46 pm

To be honest I didn't think we looked like scoring in the second half, aside from our try obviously. And that is a strange feeling.

The effort was there, but our attack was so pedestrian and easy to defend against. We made it easy for them.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 2:00 pm

I watched it too and the Woods try was very strange. Every team knows us for our sideline to sideline long passes and the flat passes that they forget to take care of the middle. They are all expecting us to spread it out side, it will be interesting to see what kind of game plan Sheens comes up with against the Rabbits.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 2:02 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:To be honest I didn't think we looked like scoring in the second half, aside from our try obviously. And that is a strange feeling.

The effort was there, but our attack was so pedestrian and easy to defend against. We made it easy for them.
I think if we could of got some repeat sets and built some pressure the continuity would of come with some confidence . We just did not use our heads and panicked too often instead of playing the football we played in the first half against Raiders.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 2:07 pm

I can recall several times we looked like scoring and the execution of our plays was just a little off.

If Utai had gotten a good ball he was in,Moltzen was left posted a metre from the line,McKinnon nearly went in.

We had plenty of near misses,but with a few repeat sets we would/could have killed them.

The kicking really must improve!!

It is only early,Im hoping the passes/kicking will improve as the year goes on,and not forgetting we had half our bleeding side out!!

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 2:13 pm

yeah spot on Simon

Goose

Post by Goose » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 3:44 pm

I agree kicking cost us the game, we weren't all that far away.

The only worry was that the young forwards for the first time this year struggled for about 10 minutes early in the second half, wondering if the grind and being asked to do more than they are ready for might be starting to hurt them, hope not

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 3:48 pm

Funny no mention of Farah's groin....or the dumb dropped ball

Nice summation though...simon...wooot
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:10 pm

happy tiger wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:To be honest I didn't think we looked like scoring in the second half, aside from our try obviously. And that is a strange feeling.

I think if we could of got some repeat sets and built some pressure the continuity would of come with some confidence . We just did not use our heads and panicked too often instead of playing the football we played in the first half against Raiders.
There was one stage where we had about four or five sets on their line and I thought for sure that we would score. But the forwards were all flat footed - not one of them ran onto the ball with any gusto.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:20 pm

Its all about combination's and confidence and I think that will take at least a month to kick in with so many new faces. We now lack grunt, Lote and Rowdy gave us the raw power needed to crack defensive lines. Our kicking game has struggled all season. Cant see us getting close to the Rabbits but their will be effort again and another short turn around will not help our cause

tigerdre

Post by tigerdre » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 4:58 pm

Yeah i watched the replay as well & i agree it was'nt as bad as first thought & i will always go to a game rather than watch it on tv were possible but i gee you miss so much at the game.
At the game i remember being frustrated at Moltzen but after watching the replay he did play half decent & i think if we win this game he will get MOM. & if we had luck on our side we would have won,i rekon we butchered at least 4 tries.
So come on tigers let rip in on friday night :sign:

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 6:53 pm

tigerdre wrote:gee you miss so much at the game.
Its funny how that is isn't it. On TV you often pick up more stuff.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 7:41 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:
There was one stage where we had about four or five sets on their line and I thought for sure that we would score. But the forwards were all flat footed - not one of them ran onto the ball with any gusto.
Good point HT. With Ellis, Fulton co. they always ran to the line whether as deocoys are expecting the ball. These days Payten does it sometimes, Heighington always does that. I'm afraid to say but most forwards are at complete stop when they get the ball and before they can accelerate the defence is up on their faces.

We need more forwards running hard and straight at the line for our playmakers to hit them or have other options. I reckon this has been our success last year, where Robbie or anyone looks short and goes out wide.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 10:42 pm

Sucker for punishment?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 05 Apr, 2011 10:52 pm

tig_prmz wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:
Good point HT. With Ellis, Fulton co. they always ran to the line whether as deocoys are expecting the ball. These days Payten does it sometimes, Heighington always does that. I'm afraid to say but most forwards are at complete stop when they get the ball and before they can accelerate the defence is up on their faces.

We need more forwards running hard and straight at the line for our playmakers to hit them or have other options. I reckon this has been our success last year, where Robbie or anyone looks short and goes out wide.
A lot of our forwards lack pace especially if you compare them to Roosters so they need to be hitting ball at pace . I understand the need for second phase but the most effective second phase is making a half break with speed and getting a runner in behind the defence instead of turning as you hit the defence and popping pass . Minute you turn your back team is expecting that there will be a chance of a popped pass whereas they are not necessarily expecting a missed tackle or a ball not being tied up .