Interesting fact

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 2pm, Sunday 12 June
Venue: Mt Smart Stadium, Aukland
Telecast: Ch9 4PM LIVE
happy tiger

Re: Interesting fact

Post by happy tiger » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 12:05 am

Our defence is always better when Gibbs plays But that stat is drawing a long bow ........

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:10 am

Good point Gary though the Inner Circle has some trouble believing you. You are like the David Middleton of the Wests Tigers Forum

Ed Reschs

Post by Ed Reschs » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:15 am

southerntiger wrote:Thats right it is just sour grapes that i dont like intellectual dishonesty. Gibbs had is best game all season but to suggest he was better than Ellis and Ayshford is extreme bias. To suggest he turned the game around us absolutely ridiculous.

Gibbs is an ordinary footballer and a great clubman. No need to pretend he is something he is not.

Posted using RoarFEED
Ordinary footballers don't play 9 seasons at the elite level or play rep footy after being (selected by their peers). The intellectual dishonesty in this thread is clear for all to see.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:22 am

MightyMaggy wrote:
chuckie wrote:I thought our hot streak started when liu left the field

Posted using RoarFEED
I think you will find that Lui went off at about 52 minutes, whereas the "come-back" started at 61 minutes.

The player that helped the turn-around to a big degree was Bryce Gibbs, who tightened the ruck defence.
That is right. Everyone is blowing up at Lui, but he went off at 12-4. Two more tries were scored. The Warriors were destroying us up the middle and there were gaps galore out wide where the tries were scored.

We got more ball and we started to score points. Why did we get more ball? No, the NRL Possession Fairy just doesn't wave a wand and all of a sudden we get possession, we got the ball because we tightened up the ruck defence and this forced errors out of the Warriors who still thought they were playing touch football. Our defence, not attack, turned the game and Gibbs played a huge role in this department.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:02 pm

Ed yes they do. By ordinary I mean average, not special or not extraordinary. There are plenty of ordinary first graders out there. at lot of players not even ordinary have played plenty of first grade - fitzy and chook herron come to mind.

Re intellectual dishonesty - thats your call but name one time I have used dodgy facts to support an unjusitiable conclusion.

Posted using RoarFEED

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:09 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
southerntiger wrote:It is ridiculous to draw conclusions, which you tried to do, from such faulty logic. Its the same as the Moltz=100% at threads.
What is wrong with the logic? He defended well around the ruck, this stopped the momentum which was a large contribution to the win, best player on the field.
Whats wrong?
Theres 25 other players on the field all contributing to what occurs in a game...if you cant see the flaws well....

Suzie-Q

Post by Suzie-Q » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:13 pm

underdog wrote:here's a stat -

We got 2 points

The warriors didn't.

Thats the best part. :D
THAT is the only stat that matters!! :sign:

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:16 pm

Gary there is a thing called momentum which is a very powerfuk element in sport.

On the back of our first try in the second half we got a glut of possession.

Your analyis might be sound if the Warriors had possession in the final 20 mins. They didnt - they barely touched the ball.

No one doubts Bryce had a good game. No one even doubts his value around the ruck every game - I am not convinced this value overcomes his general ineffectiveness with the ball in hand - what I do doubt (and in fact reject) is your implicit assertion that the comeback was primarily attributable to Bryce being on the field. If you are able to point to 3 to 5 defensive plays that Bryce made in the final 20 mins that support your view that without him the warriors woukd have scored, I may be able to change my mind.

Sorry for being narky in this thread but I have a particular aversion to overstatements.

Posted using RoarFEED

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 9:18 am

southerntiger wrote:Gary there is a thing called momentum which is a very powerfuk element in sport.

Your analyis might be sound if the Warriors had possession in the final 20 mins. They didnt - they barely touched the ball.

No one doubts Bryce had a good game. No one even doubts his value around the ruck every game - I am not convinced this value overcomes his general ineffectiveness with the ball in hand - what I do doubt (and in fact reject) is your implicit assertion that the comeback was primarily attributable to Bryce being on the field. If you are able to point to 3 to 5 defensive plays that Bryce made in the final 20 mins that support your view that without him the warriors woukd have scored, I may be able to change my mind.

Sorry for being narky in this thread but I have a particular aversion to overstatements.

Posted using RoarFEED
Yes well when posting the thread I did not expect a Royal Commission. It was posted as "interesting" as in the sense "it's interesting that hairs below your waist are curly to those above your head which are straight."

I thought Gibbs was having a great game and I was screaming for Sheens to bring him on when things were going to custard. He was my best player and I saw a coincidence on the score board. I found that interesting. Yes, there were 25 other players on the field that also made a contribution to the match, but as Gibbs was best player in my view, he made the largest contribution to the result.

I don't have time to go through the game again, but I do remember Gibbs winning a penalty with a classic piece of niggle. It led to the first try. You rarely see pieces of play like that as players are conscious of the video ref.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 11:32 am

Gary that penalty is a case in point for me. It was a borderline decision which could have gone either way. Gibbs pushed the Warriors player first and if I was a Warriors fan I would feel a little hard done by that decision.

It was a typical Gibbs niggle that was high risk and unnecessary. Worse it had the potential for us to lose the ball whilst in attack.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 11:42 am

southerntiger wrote:Gary that penalty is a case in point for me. It was a borderline decision which could have gone either way. Gibbs pushed the Warriors player first and if I was a Warriors fan I would feel a little hard done by that decision.

It was a typical Gibbs niggle that was high risk and unnecessary. Worse it had the potential for us to lose the ball whilst in attack.
All depends on your risk appetite. My attitude was that at 22-4 with 15 left on the clock, it was probably worth the risk. He got away with it and he is the type of player who does play on the edge of the rules. Similar to Benji taking risks with the ball, you can't criticise him because that is his game. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 12:33 pm

Gary Bakerloo wrote:
southerntiger wrote:Gary there is a thing called momentum which is a very powerfuk element in sport.

Posted using RoarFEED
Yes well when posting the thread I did not expect a Royal Commission. It was posted as "interesting" as in the sense "it's interesting that hairs below your waist are curly to those above your head which are straight."

I thought Gibbs was having a great game and I was screaming for Sheens to bring him on when things were going to custard. He was my best player and I saw a coincidence on the score board. I found that interesting. Yes, there were 25 other players on the field that also made a contribution to the match, but as Gibbs was best player in my view, he made the largest contribution to the result.

I don't have time to go through the game again, but I do remember Gibbs winning a penalty with a classic piece of niggle. It led to the first try. You rarely see pieces of play like that as players are conscious of the video ref.
I think it was more like the Spanish Inquisition that a royal commission myself

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 1:22 pm

On the contrary, what i don't like about Gibbs is he tackles like a lock with his bootlace tackles. This allows the defense to offload or get a really quick play the ball. He then struggles to get back on side because he's at their feet behind the play the ball.

I prefer front rowers to smash high and hard, putting the ball carrier on their backs (haven't you noticed the likes of Melbourne and Saints and how good they are at the wrestle). This gives the defensive line time to retreat the 10M then race up.

The turn around came from momentum as mentioned above. That momentum came from good go forward and quick play the balls allowing Benji time to attack the edges. I thought Galloway was very good in that regard. Notice how farah then came alive.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Wed 15 Jun, 2011 3:29 pm

happy tiger wrote:I think it was more like the Spanish Inquisition that a royal commission myself
I wasn't expecting a Spanish Inquisition